QC - West Island, Southwest QC, Cornwall and Eastern ON - OTA - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-05, 01:08 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yes, you can read about notch filters in this thread:

Splitters, Attenuators, Filters, Diplexers, Other Signal Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 09:55 AM
Rookie

I understand the concept behind band-stop filters and how a range of frequencies get attenuated while the rest remain unaltered. It is really no different than attenuating an incoming hot cable signal.(well almost no difference lol!)

What I don't get, is how can TQS be too strong in Prevost? Smog is getting 2.1 and 6.1 and they are stronger signals, in the same line of sight.

One other thing that I find confusing is the use of the term 'Amplifier' for 'Preamp.' I have seen references where an inline or distribution amp has been called a Preamp. This is why I have to ask, which amp are you using? I could be wrong and this is a learning step for me, but from what I've seen with preamps only the FM trap is adjustable.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed so please be Patient with me.

MandrakeD.
post #63 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 09:56 AM
Kro

Quote:
TQS is broadcasting at 13KW, so I'm not sure as to what you are saying, can you explain?(I am new to OTA)
TQS is at 697 KW
Tele Quebec is at 1334 KW

Look at the map below if you are in the Red or Orange you will most likely overload (With pre-amp like CM-7778 and it will be worst with the CM-7777).

Exemple I'm in the red for CIVM and Orange for CFJP the overload of CIVM is very bad (It almost kill WWWF-DT and CFJP-DT and affect the other. CFJP affect 33-1, 44-1, 3.1)

Anyway if you want to have an idea check the map below.

Tele quebec:

TQS:

post #64 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 10:01 AM
Rookie

my dumb question:
how do you know a channel is overloaded?
post #65 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 10:06 AM

this is the preamp I'm using

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103094

the overload problems are not related to digital channels but with analog 17 and analog 35 that are too strong. reducing the adjustable gain on the preamp helped a lot.

by the way : to reduce the gain on almost any preamp, just send less than the mandatory 12v up the coaxial rg6. My bet is 6v to the mast mounted preamp will give you half the gain you had with 12v
post #66 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 10:08 AM
Rookie

Thanks Kro, this helps tremendously.

When I called TQS they said they were broadcasting at 13KW, pretty low if you ask me. According to your map, I`m green for both.(iles Perrot) The only problem is that over-sized speed bump in the middle of Montreal.

To expound on montrolla`s question, I can measure a cable signal coming in and know whether it needs amplification or attenuation, can we do the same with OTA signals
post #67 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 10:12 AM
Rookie

Thanks Smog and Kro.

Smog, do you think it could be the preamp itself? Is there really a huge difference? I will be getting a preamp to replace the inline that is installed, just need to find one reasonably priced.
post #68 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandrakeDar View Post
Thanks Smog and Kro.

Smog, do you think it could be the preamp itself? Is there really a huge difference? I will be getting a preamp to replace the inline that is installed, just need to find one reasonably priced.
You have a 4228, you live close to Montreal and you already pick all US channels.

a preamp will not help with 2.1 and 6.1 if Mt Royal is blocking them. a preamp will most likely overload and kill signal quality on all other channels.

according to Kro, I live in an "Orange" area north of St-Jérome so the overload is a possibility.

Thank You Kro for the 2 pictures

Last edited by Smog; 2008-02-06 at 10:36 AM.
post #69 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 11:13 AM

Kro,

how do you generate those maps? Can you generate one for WVNY VHF13 please?
post #70 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 11:55 AM
Rookie

so smog, you mean digital channels dont get overloaded?
post #71 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 11:58 AM
Rookie

hungt1999,
tvfool has an online coverage map.
here is wvny
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...vny%26type%3dD
post #72 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrolla View Post
so smog, you mean digital channels dont get overloaded?
It doesn't mater digital or analog, the problem is related to the frequency amplitude at the input of your tuner. if the signal is too strong, it will overload the tuner, affecting ALL channels.

in our case, the channels 17 and 35 are strong. So adding a preamp will create distortion affecting the signal quality on all channels.

it's not related to digital or analog

BUT you can see the problem in the picture quality of analog channels

Last edited by Smog; 2008-02-06 at 12:35 PM.
post #73 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-07, 09:41 AM
Rookie

Smog,

My problem is completely different. I have two splits in my cable run, this is because I am using an old sat run which was not long enough to reach my antenna. Come spring I will run a new cable that will stretch from my TV to distribution amp then straight to the antenna. I would remove the inline amp and replace with a preamp at the mast. This should give me the ultimate reception, right now reception is good but could be better, certainly if I remove the excessive splits in my run it would help.

This is something that everyone getting involved in OTA should be cautious about, splits cause weak signals down the pipe and over amplification can cause undesirable effects. Come spring with the new run I will repost my results.[Fingers crossed]
post #74 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-02-07, 01:54 PM
Veteran

Be ware of using TVFool coverage maps for canadian stations. TVFools's software uses the data from the FCC database, and none of the analog stations have the antenna heights incorrect -- usually, they're set at 0.

You can see this from the posted plots of CIVM and CFGS -- there appears to be a severe obstruction to the 'East' (Montreal 'South') for these stations, and for that matter all other Mount Royal stations.
Anyone who has been on the South Shore knows that the Mount Royal Candelabra Tower is clearly visible.

TVl
post #75 of 1107 (permalink) Old 2008-04-08, 01:50 PM

Dollard-des-Ormeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburst
A lot of those channels listed are not actually on the air with their DT channels. Some have been assigned channels, but that does not mean that they are actually on the air.

As far as I know, only the following are available on OTA...in the Montreal area

13 - WVNY-DT (ABC)
14 - WPTZ-DT (NBC)
19 - CBFT-DT (SRC)
20 - CBMT-DT (CBC)
23 - WNPI-DT (PBS)
32 - WETK-DT (PBS)
38 - WCFE-DT (PBS)
42 - CFJP-DT (TQS)
43 - WFFF-DT (FOX)
53 - WCAX-DT (CBS)
Dollard-des-Ormeaux, about 1km north of the Trans-Canada on boul. des Sources.

Anyone from the West Island area of Montreal catching all of these? I just got a CM 4228 but haven't installed it yet (waiting for snow to melt some more). Should I just point it in a general southern direction and catch all of the above? I suspect I won't get CBC because of Mt Royal blocking the signal.

HTPC: ATSC, BluRay, HD-DVD
AVR: Yamaha RX-V1800, SPKRS: JBL S310II, JBL S-CenterII, JBL S36II, 2x HSU VTF-3 MK2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.