ON - Kanata, Barrhaven, Nepean, West of Greenbelt - OTA - Page 113 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1681 of 1686 (permalink) Old 2017-03-18, 10:47 AM

You certainly not in the ideal location for OTA reception!

Firstly, to get your TVFool report for the exact location of your house, use the 'Online TV Maps' feature in the left-hand column of the TVFool home page. Enter your postcode, and in the map that appears, drag the marker icon to your exact location (switching the map to satellite view with the button in the top-left corner of the map will help you pinpoint your home). Select the correct height-above-ground of the antenna just below the bottom centre of the map, and then the results will be displayed below the map. You can see the directions of the transmitters if you click in the 'Show lines pointing to each transmitter' check box below the map. To produce the familiar 'radar plot', click on the 'Make Radar Plot' button to the top-right of the map. In terrain like in your area, it's very important to give TVFool the exact location, as signal levels can vary significantly within a small distance. For example, if you enter your latitude and longitude to the precision shown in your report, the signal strenghts are quite different from those in your report. Also, be aware that TVFool does not take account of trees or buildings surrounding your antenna, which can diminish signal levels somewhat.

I think you have a good chance of picking up most of the Ottawa stations coming from Camp Fortune (those at bearing 108 in the TVFool report) with you existing equipment, except for CJOH on channel 13. This because your antenna is a UHF band-only design; most of the Ottawa stations are on UHF, except for CJOH which is on VHF-Hi. To get that, you would need a separate VHF-Hi antenna, joined with the 4228 with something known as a UVSJ. VHF-Hi antennas are difficult to find these days, but there is still one available from a US supplier. An alternative would be to use an all-band antenna that are more readily available, and this would replace your Channle Master 4228, however I think you will get better results on UHF with the Channel Master than an all-band.

As far as the other stations go, channels 8 and 47 are the same as channel 13 (CJOH) in content; channel 2 is the same as channel 14 (Global); channel 23 is the same as channel 30 (TQ). The only one not from Ottawa that would give you something different is channel 5 (CHRO also known as CTV-2). Channel 5 is in the VHF-Low band, so to receive this, you would need a VHF-Low-capable antenna. These are near-to-impossible to find these days (but there are some all-band antennas that would do the job). The least expensive solution would be to construct a simple dipole antenna for that, and join it into the antenna cable with a device known as an HLSJ.

Your pre-amplifier is going to be needed. This particular model is not a good one for urban areas with lots of strong signals, but where you're located it's almost ideal!

If, once getting your gear set up, you find you have reception problems, get back to us in this forum. Things that would improve your reception (but harm your wallet!) include doing a modification to the CM 4228; getting a better pre-amplifier (lower noise level); adding a second CM 4228 to your set of antennas; installing a tall tower. Hopefully, none of this will be necessary!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1686 (permalink) Old 2017-03-18, 11:20 AM
DHC Supporter

Hello, maryjanej (I see that DXer was posting while I was composing.)

Your signals at your new location are 2Edge from terrain interference and much weaker. For comparison, here is a report for Bourget near the Post office:
TV Fool

Your old equipment is suitable for your new location; try it to see what you can get.

CJOH on real channel 13 is a VHF-High channel. If your 4228HD UHF antenna is not able to pick it up, you will need to add a VHF antenna and combine it with a UVSJ UHF/VHF combiner.
Quote:
What channels do you think I could possibly get with my old antenna setup mentioned above?
My guess would be down to CFGS if there are no trees in the signal path.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #1683 of 1686 (permalink) Old 2017-03-18, 05:12 PM
Rookie

Thanks DXer and rabbit73 for all your help and info.

I dragged the marker icon to my house like you explained for the exact location.
here is the result.
TV Fool

I will also look for a VHF-Low-capable antenna or check to see if I can construct a simple dipole antenna.
I will probably try to install this at the beginning of summer as I need to put up a tower first.

Thank you very much for all the info and help.
Mary-Jane

post #1684 of 1686 (permalink) Old 2017-03-18, 11:09 PM
Rookie

Will this antenna work for me to get my CHRO channel 5 on my tv fool it shows it at 25.3 miles away.

This Antenna as a reach of 40 miles it says it's good for FM and Low VHF.

40 MILE RANGE EXTRA DURABLE FM ANTENNA | FM / LOW VHF - CHANNEL MASTER CM-3026
It has been discontinued but I found a place in Canada that has it for 59.99 with free shipping.

So far it's the only one I've seen in Canada.

Here is a link of another place that shows it
Channel Master 3026 FM Antenna - Antenna Parts Outlet

Thanks
Mary-Jane
post #1685 of 1686 (permalink) Old 2017-03-19, 02:35 PM

No, despite what FTATronix says, that is for the FM broadcast band only (according to Channel Master's web site)...and never pay any attention to manufacturer's claims about mileage - there are just too many factors affecting effective range of an antenna for them to be able to make any claims about range!

Your latest TVFool shows some reduction in the strength of the Ottawa channels and an increase in the strength of channel 2. If it proves that channel 14 from Ottawa (Global) is too weak, you can fall back on channel 2 (but it's analog, not digital, so you will only get the old standard-definition - and, because it's on VHF-Low - noisy picture from it).

Unfortunately, suitable antennas are very hard to source in Eastern Ontario, but there is a good source in Mississauga - one of the sponsors of this forum, 'Save and Replay' (they will ship for a fee).

I don't think there are any new VHF-Low-only antennas available in North America any longer. You would have to get a combined VHF & UHF antenna to cover VHF-Low. Suitable antennas would be the Winegard HD7000R, or for higher gain, the Winegard HD-7010, HD-7015, HD-7080P, HD-7082P, HD-7084P or HD8200U (in increasing order of gain). Channel Master have the 3016, 3018, 3020, 5016, 5018 and 5020. Unfortunately, the least expensive of these is $90 plus shipping and tax!

To minimize cost, you should put up your existing gear and see what results you get with the antenna pointed at Ottawa. If you get all the Ottawa stations reliably, you needn't spend any more. If not, then come back here with your results.
post #1686 of 1686 (permalink) Old 2017-03-19, 03:33 PM
Rookie

Ok thanks Dxer,

Thanks for the info on the antennas.

I'll put up the gear I have. And go from there.

Thanks
Mary-Jane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.