ON - Ottawa, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans - OTA - Page 65 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #961 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 08:37 PM

Jimlum, the device for combining a UHF and VHF antenna is called a uvsj, that's for UHF VHF Splitter Joiner. You may find splitter swapped with separator or joiner swapped with combiner in the description, but you get the idea. The device may not specifically mention uvsj but it will have 1 UHF input, 1 VHF input and an output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 08:49 PM
Rookie

Channel 6.1 and rabbit ears

I had the same problem with 6.1 until a contributor suggested replacing the antenna with simple VHF rabbit ears and the global 6.1 worked and nothing over 13 would work.
Thanks for the help getting on track contributors.
see the previous message for the solution.
Jim
post #963 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 10:13 AM

Jimlum, I am also in Centretown and posted my results of inserting an FM trap in the OTA Station Status forum (OTA Station Status: Ottawa, Watertown NY, S. Colton NY). There are at least three FM radio stations broadcasting from the tops of buildings in the downtown core and these were wrecking my SNR on channel 6. That is something you might want to try (cost me $3). It might give you more flexibility with antenna selection, positioning, etc.

By the way, other than CF and HC, there are also FM stations broadcasting from the Las Brisas apartment building on Montreal Road and from the Mont Bleu area in Gatineau. Of course anyone with an amplifier that has a built-in FM trap is already set.

post #964 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 12:02 PM
Rookie

Hi folks! This is my first post so I'm sorry if any of this is redundant!

I'm located in New Edinburgh, very close to Vanier. (EDIT: near corner of Beechwood Ave & Vanier Parkway)

I have an LG TV that has a digital tuner in it.

I'm using one of those flat, rectangular (unpowered) antennas made by RCA for indoor use.

Yesterday, I was getting loads of channels like Global, CTV, Omni (etc) but today I only get 4 channels: CBC, TVO and two French channels (not even the ones I like).

The channels look great but it's really not a lot.

According to tvfool.com, I should be getting all of these:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e744df90a39ae

I'm happy just getting the "indoor antenna" channels but I'm not even getting most of those. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited by Keej613; 2011-09-01 at 12:38 PM.
post #965 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 12:20 PM

Location: OTtAwa (Byward Market); Sony Bravia KDL46SL140; Mini State HDMS9100
In Digital OTA heaven - Post transition results

After the long-awaited digital conversion here are my results this morning:

With my mini-state pointed towards HC:

signal strength SNR
4.1 CBOT 88 31
6.1 Global 76 21
9.1 CBOFT 82 26
11.1 CHCH 75 20
13.1 CJOH 85 28
14.1 Omni 2 78 23
24.1 TVO 90 32
30.1 CIVO 86 29
40.1 CHOT 90 32
42.1 CTS 82 26
43.1 CHRO 78 23
60.1 Omni 1 72 18
65.1 CITY 78 23

With my rabbit ears on a windows sill pointed towards CF:

4.1 CBOT 85 28
6.1 Global 85 28
9.1 CBOFT 85 28
13.1 CJOH 86 29
24.1 TVO 87 30
30.1 CIVO 80 24
40.1 CHOT 90 32

As expected nothing from HC with my rabbit ears.
post #966 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 12:48 PM

New to OTA - Installed CM 4220MHD

Hello folks,

I installed a CM 4220MHD (with J mount on my roof) in the Riverside South area two days ago. the antenna is about 25 feet above ground. I'm running one 50 feet RG6 cable connected to another 25 feet and another 6 feet to my TV. No amps used.

All local channels are coming through very clear. I'm also getting PBS in the evening from two different sources for 1-3 hours at a time. My antenna is pointing towards Herbert Corners (slightly to the left of it). I believe it is at South-East-East.

Because I'm scared of heights, I did not take the time to properly orient the antenna which is placed on the highest section of my two story home. It is also tilted horizontally by a good 10 to 25 degrees. I have a few trees south of me but they are not blocking reception .

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e746d1fa52808

My questions to you all is:

1) Will removing those plastic clips on the antenna bowties improve my reception of PBS?
2) Will removing the horizontal tilt improve faraway signal strength. I can't seem to get a straight answer on this issue.
3) Will installing a CM 7778 preamp improve faraway signals or will it damage closer signals?

thanks for any help

Last edited by AnalogMig; 2011-09-01 at 02:14 PM. Reason: More information added and corrections
post #967 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 01:23 PM

The preamp should make a huge difference for US stations, the only issue might be overpowering the locals.
post #968 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 02:07 PM

Keej613

A good antenna will improve reception. Pointing that antenna toward Herbert's Corner (N-NE) will help get those channels whereas pointing it toward Camp Fortune (S-SW) will help with those. The higher up the antenna is, the better, and outside is better than inside. A preamp can help increase signal strength if the coax is long or split. Good quality coax can help. An FM trap can also help if noise is the issue.

I live close to you and get all 13 channel solid with antennas in the attic. My neighbour uses one of those round indoor antennas and does very well too. You will find signal strength varies quite a bit depending on the day depending on the weather.

Your not doing anything wrong, simply move the attenna around and see what you can get. It takes a bit of tinkering and the right equipment to get it right.
post #969 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 02:59 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Several post went off topic and are now in the following thread elsewhere:

OTA Montreal Canadiens Games in Canada?

And a reminder to all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
If you lose track of where your post has gone, simply go to the DHC Quick Links menu and pull down to "My Posts". Another method is to go to one of your previous posts anywhere on the DHC site and click on your own user name to the left to get to the "Find More Posts By..." menu item.
post #970 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 03:03 PM
Rookie

This might be a stupid question but, if I reposition the (indoor) antenna, do I need to have my TV re-scan for channels?
post #971 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 03:16 PM
Veteran

There are no stupid questions.

Unfortunately, the answer is "maybe".

In general, though, if you had previously scanned in all 13 local stations earlier today, then you probably won't need to rescan again, just reposition your antenna until you get good reception.

However, if some of the local stations you are trying to get have never been scanned in, then yes, you need to do a rescan.

And if any stations have changed parameters (usually just boradcast frequency, but aometimes other parameters), you'll need to dleete them and rescan.
post #972 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 03:18 PM

If you want to catch extra channels not already recognized by your tuner, yes you need to rescan.

If you already have all channels you want, no need to rescan.
post #973 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 03:28 PM

AnalogMig,
1) Will removing those plastic clips on the antenna bowties improve my reception of PBS?
Some say it helps on similar CM antennas. I don't think it will make a difference but there is absolutely no harm trying. The caps are just for looks

2) Will removing the horizontal tilt improve faraway signal strength. I can't seem to get a straight answer on this issue.
An up tilt can help the signals off the front while decreasing those off the back. You can experiment...

3) Will installing a CM 7778 preamp improve faraway signals or will it damage closer signals?
In your situation with a long cable length and with your limited gain antenna (compared to 4 or 8 bays) a preamp is a no brainer to reduce losses after your antenna thus improving reception.
post #974 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 03:35 PM
Rookie

Cheap VHF antenna for Global

I purchased a very inexpensive VHF back of set replacement antenna from The Source ($4.99 before tax) to try and improve the reception of my home made DBGH in the VHF range for Global, CBOFT and CJOH. It has a twin lead 300 Ohm connector, and I want to see what will happen if I connect it in parallel to the DBGH feed lines where they connect to the balun. If it reduces the reception of UHF, I will connect using a UVSJ. I will let you know how it works out once I give it a try tonight.

mark
post #975 of 2214 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
if I reposition the (indoor) antenna, do I need to have my TV re-scan for channels?
I position/configure my antenna the way I get most of the channels and do a first scan. Then I re-position/configure my antenna (as many times as required) for the rest of the channels and simply enter the real RF channels manually in my remote and my TV automatically detects the DTV feeds located at those channels and adds them. May depend on your TV. See my example procedure for 2011 Samsungs.

Tags
antenna , dtv , installation , ota , samsung , screenshot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.