ON - Ottawa, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans - OTA - Page 50 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #736 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-21, 05:39 PM
Rookie

So, I wouldn't be able to get away with putting it where the satellite dish is

I'm renting the place, so I am not sure if I would be able to put an antenna much higher off of the roof - I will check with my land lord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #737 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-21, 06:25 PM

Crysler, another option might be the attic.
Depends on what the sat dish location is facing. But going in the attic, your own roof is an obstruction but sometimes this means you get less obstruction from the houses around you because you're higher. You be the judge based on the signal directions you want to get...
post #738 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-21, 06:32 PM

Maryjane you have 4 main interesting directions you can point your antenna on:
CF, HC, WNPI, WCFE
The big question is can you still get local channels when pointed at wcfe or wnpi ? Maybe...
post #739 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-21, 09:36 PM

Mary Jane. 18.1 is actually a bit stronger on your TV fool than the generic tv fool that I entered for Bourget. With your 4228 and a single TV you may be able to get away without a pre-amp. How strong is the signal for 27.1? If you have lots of headroom on 27.1 then 18.1 should be within reach. I expect that you will have to point the antenna directly at the individual towers to pick them up (without the help of tropo that is). Your 18.1 is at least 16 db above the lowest TV Fool level that I have seen anyone on this forum being able to pull 18.1 reliably (I am referring to mlord's heroic efforts - have not seen him for a while) So there is hope!
post #740 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 12:17 AM
Rookie

Smile

Hi guys,

Thanks for your patience and help.

My signal strength at the moment for 27.1 is at 55.
4.1 at 67
9.1 at 63
17.1 at 70
20.1 at 55

18.1 at 55-----------5:00 am this morning

No I don't get 57.1 or 66.1 , Maybe the antenna needs to be rotated.

I never did try rotating my antenna much was just so happy to have those channels coming in.

But I will try aiming at the four directions and see what I get then. Hopefully more channels.

Thanks again
Mary-Jane

Last edited by maryjane; 2011-06-22 at 05:22 AM. Reason: adding more signal strength channels
post #741 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 07:20 AM

Mary Jane, if you don't have an accurate magnetic compass, then use TV Fools Online Map option with your address, select satellite option on the google map image and enable "Show lines pointing to each transmitter" (below the map) Zoom in, place the pointer where your antenna is actually located on your property and then use the lines pointing to the transmitters to identify nearby land marks that you could use to aim your antenna. The 4228 has a pretty narrow beam width so you will have to be as accurate as possible. Good luck.
post #742 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 06:43 PM
Rookie

Thanks RamKat

OK thanks RamKat for the info,

I'm new to this so the more advice the better lol...

I'll go check that out.
Mary-Jane
post #743 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 07:40 PM

Ideally someone else is inside telling you the signal strength of a station you want on your tv while you turn the antenna in order to find an optimal position... Use your own ceebee, phone method if yelling doesn't work
You'd typically tune to your hardest to get station and be under the signal strength option for that channel
post #744 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 08:05 PM

Or get a USB ATSC tuner and a laptop the you could monitor signal strength directly At least with the digital signal strength indicators the yelling could be quantified (if you don't have a portable device)
post #745 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 12:29 AM
Rookie

Thanks

Thanks guys,

I do have a set of two way radios for the communication I won't have to yell.
Will be better on the neighbours ears lol...

OK I think I get it now.

Thanks everyone for your help

Mary-Jane
post #746 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
canuck22, an extra thing you can check is to attenuate the signal before your tuner by using a 4-way splitter before your tuner. The 7777 preamp does amplify well, but sometimes it's too much if you're feeding to only 1 tuner; that tuner may be overloading. It really depends on the tuner you have, it happened to me only with 1 specific tuner, the Hauppauge 2250. The 4-way splitter trick is easy to do. Using 2 2-way splitters would do the same thing as a single 4-way for attenuation.
I tried attenuating the signal, and it seemed to make the hiccups worse on CBS. Fox seems to have smoothed out ... even when I removed the two 2-way splitters from the path. Odd. So now CBS is the only offender, even with a signal strength in the upper 80's and quality hovering around 80%.

What's strange is that the sharper the image, the more likely it is to have these hiccups. For example, a news feed that doesn't seem to be overly sharp (upconverted SD?) doesn't seem to have these hiccups, but a network show that's clearly HD does.

I think my next step is to test with a different tuner, in case it's my iMac that's having a hard time rendering. When the iMac is doing exports (re-encoding for Apple TV2), the CPU and memory are definitely getting stressed, and it *seems* to exacerbate the problem. That might be a contributing factor. The reason I'm not totally convinced that *is* the problem is that other stations that are coming in perfectly (CBC, SRC, City, PBSHD ...) do not experience this symptom. Stands to reason that if the iMac struggles with CBS, it would also struggle with these other channels. Unless there's something about the signal or frequency that makes CBS more difficult.

As I mentioned, next step is to borrow a neighbour's TV that has a built-in ATSC tuner to test, after which I might try to tilt my antenna up very slightly to see if that helps.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
post #747 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 09:03 AM

canuck22, CBS and Fox are on the same channel. You should be getting problems on both at the same time. What you may be looking at is some macroblocking on CBS. This would impact fast-moving sections of the screen on CBS, and you would be less likely to see it on Fox.

If it's a reception problem, you'd have more problem with middle of the day shows and less trouble at night when reception is better. The whole image and/or sound would be affected. If it's macroblocking, only fast moving scenes would have an issue.
post #748 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
canuck22, CBS and Fox are on the same channel. You should be getting problems on both at the same time. What you may be looking at is some macroblocking on CBS. This would impact fast-moving sections of the screen on CBS, and you would be less likely to see it on Fox.

If it's a reception problem, you'd have more problem with middle of the day shows and less trouble at night when reception is better. The whole image and/or sound would be affected. If it's macroblocking, only fast moving scenes would have an issue.
Flavoie - thanks for the ongoing help!!!

Audio never seems to have any hiccups, so you may be right. I've been trying to keep an eye on it relative to time of day, but no overwhelming trend has surfaced ... some shows tend to have it occur a lot more than others, and it seems to occur on both slow moving scenes (eg, news) as well as fast moving scenes. It may be more frequent on fast moving scenes - I'll pay attention to that, and see if there's a trend.

I've also tried recording in the background. IOW, I let the iMac record a show without rendering the image. Still have the issue in my saved eyeTV show & exported AppleTV2 show.

I don't know much about what causes macroblocking ... I'll dig into it.

Thx again!!!
post #749 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 01:54 PM

Just tried with a more powerful computer (MBP i7 w/8G of RAM), and ... same issue. So it's not the processor & RAM that's at fault. And I'm seeing some issues with Fox again during the day. So I'm guessing it's something with the signal. I might try playing with the direction to resolve this particular issue - maybe the tree is in the way.

And I still want to test with a built-in ATSC tuner if I can borrow a neighbour's TV :-)
post #750 of 2092 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck22 View Post
I am receiving the WWNY stations (CBS & Fox) reasonably well. Picture is beautiful, but I get a quasi-regular frame freeze / flicker ... maybe once every 10 to 30 seconds. No audio blip, just video.
City is doing the same thing. And City doesn't seem to have a guide.
I was also getting strange dropouts on CBS/Fox RF18 but since the TV season ended, I haven't been recording these channels.

I would describe my problem somewhat differently: the picture and sound would be fine, then it would be as if the whole bottom half of a frame would be missed (top half was fine), and then the picture would recover afterwards. Sound was fine. Signal level was good. Does this describe what you've been getting? If so, then perhaps we can compare notes, as I did try a few things.

But I didn't have this problem with CITY.

Tags
antenna , dtv , installation , ota , samsung , screenshot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.