ON - Ottawa, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans - OTA - Page 48 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #706 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-13, 04:15 PM
Orléans (near Innes/Trim)

Hi everybody,

My top priority is to pull in TFO (for my pre-school kids) but it's transmitted out of Hawkesbury and my TVFool results don't look promising.

I have a few questions:

1) Is it even possible to reliably pull the Hawkesbury TFO signal into Orleans?
2) If so, how can I do it with the least grief and risk as an OTA first-timer? Will an amplified attic antenna do the trick (we're in a two-story town house) or am I looking at mounting an antenna on the roof? Are there any local zoning issues I should be concerned about (i.e. do I need a permit to mount an antenna on the roof?)
3) Can we get one or more of the US networks from here? T'would be nice.

Thanks a million,

Last edited by stampeder; 2011-06-14 at 02:41 AM. Reason: location added to title
Sponsored Links
post #707 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-13, 04:55 PM
Hi Teelord,

I have written various people to try to convince TFO to let them broadcast OTA in Ottawa through a partnership with TVO or any other station. Looking at your TVFool, TFO is too far away for reliable reception, as is the case for virtually everybody in Ottawa.

I suggest you ask TFO why they don't have a signal in Ottawa but have one it in Pembroke, Hawksbury, ... when all they possibly could have to do is making an agreement with another station to get them carried as a subchannel.
post #708 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-15, 07:25 PM
Orléans (near Innes/Trim)

new to the forum / orleans user near Trim and Innes.

I have already bought a few analog to digital converter and some rabbit ears but it's so so for most tv's.

I was thinking of running an antenna from the attic of the townhouse and run rg6 cable to the basement where the normal cable lines are all connected.

right now, getting 4-1, 9-1, 17-1 and 20-1.

Last edited by stampeder; 2011-06-15 at 08:54 PM. Reason: location added to title
post #709 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-16, 10:50 AM
what is your A/D for? Do you mean preamp/amplifier or digital tuner?

Anyway read through the forum and take note of suggested antenna types for your area/application. There is an antenna chart available on the first page of this thread... it is highly recommended to get an antenna from this list -- other antennas have been shown to give inconsistent results.

Even better read through this forum, search for Orleans, and see what has & has not worked in your area.

... don't forget to go to TVfool.com and post your results (make it your homepage).
post #710 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-17, 04:22 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Every antenna will work for something. What is missing from your post is some statement of a problem you're experiencing or what your goal is and what channels you are hoping to receive. The TVFool website provides help on interpreting the information provided, reading channel strength and the likelihood of receiving a specific channel.
post #711 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-17, 04:43 AM
@Robin2: Welcome to the forum.
Please check out our welcome message …
*** WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS: Read these OTA Forum instructions before posting ***
… for some invaluable instructions on how you can help us help you better.
post #712 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-17, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the Welcome amac,

I'm basically just looking to receive the surrounding channels 4-1, 9-1,20.1 etc if more even better.

Someone mentioned to me that the Channel Master 4228 would probably be all I need since I'm not that far from Ottawa.

But I notice that everyone is selling the new 4228 hd is this one as good?

I have a regular antenna tha'ts not on the roof so this winter I was getting those hd channels. But since spring I don't get them I believe because the antenna is too low and leaves on the trees are blocking the signals I do get the analog ones 13,4,11 etc...

The antenna I have now is an older shogun too heavy to put on the roof that's why I'm now looking at maybe the 4228.

post #713 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-17, 01:10 PM
OTA Forum Moderator
maryjane, use the Search This Thread tool to the upper right beside Thread Tools and put in your neighbourhood name or local street names as search terms, and if there are results already posted from where you live you can compare to see what works best. That's the beauty of these local threads. As for best antennas, the Antenna Chart has them all listed for you so we don't use these local reception threads to go over all that here.
post #714 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-17, 03:06 PM
hi maryjane,

I'm still not sure how to answer your question.
The bad is you're quite east and you have 48 degrees between Camp Forture and Herbert's Corner, the 2 Ottawa towers. I am not sure how well a 4228hd would pick up both towers because it is a very directional antenna with a narrow beam width. On one hand, a cm4221hd would help cover the wider angle between CF and HC, but on the other hand, a 4228hd would help picking up CTV on channel 13.

You'd likely have the same beam width problem with a very directional yagi antenna such as the Channel Master 3020 you mentioned. And you'd have a very big antenna in your hands...

Using a 4221hd or 4228hd will probably not be good enough for channel 6 (Global)

You are close to WCFE, but you'd get it off the back of the antenna. You may or may not get it when pointed east.
post #715 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-17, 11:12 PM
Crysler Newbie

I just moved to Crysler and am totally new to OTA!!!

Here are my TVfool results:

I have an old expressvu dish on my roof that I would like to replace with an outdoor antenna.

What antenna should I buy??

Last edited by stampeder; 2011-06-18 at 01:10 PM. Reason: removed dead TVFool link
post #716 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-18, 11:21 AM
Hi crysler and welcome
You mention you want an antenna on your roof but you input 8 feet high in tvfool. Is this the real height the antenna would be ?
You should know trees and other houses around you may block the signal especially worse if they are close to you, the signal doesn't come the same way as satellite, it is a more horizontal transmission.
post #717 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 02:45 PM
Channel 4.1 (for example) ... typically has signal str of around 70-77%. At moments, I however lose the channel even though the signal str remains the same. At other times, I also see the odd drop in signal str to 50%. My TV seems to get channels with approx. 35 signal str (sharp aquos 52").

Any ideas why I see such variations in the signal str and drops despite a signal that should allow solid reception? I have noted that as soon as I change the channel, the reception comes back.

43% good picture on 17.1. 70% good picture on 4.1, 48% on 4.1 no picture.
post #718 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 05:23 PM

Sounds like a multipath issue. I have that here. I change the channel, then come back to it, and all is fine. It has to do with the tuner trying to be intelligent and cancelling out the multipath.

Check TV channel 24 in analog and see if there are ghost images. It may also change as you move around. Signal strength wont go down but the stream will break.
post #719 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 06:56 PM
post #720 of 2125 (permalink) Old 2011-06-19, 09:27 PM
Move your antenna around by a few inches and look for minimal ghosting on 24. Then tune to 25 CBC

antenna , dtv , installation , ota , samsung , screenshot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.