ON - Ottawa, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans - OTA - Page 27 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #391 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 09:57 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Recently a major OTA wholesaler has been offering some new-in-the-box stock of old Delhi 932 antennas out there to certain OTA dealers, so for fringe range one of those would be terrific and would not take so much room.
FYI, the VU-932SR also apparently has elements to help block FM, so it may also be a good choice. Once again I don't know how well these work in practice though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 10:30 PM

To add to Roger's comment of a VHF antenna option, you could even go all the way to a Delhi VIP-307SR as a VHF-only antenna if you want. All the Delhi VIP models have FM blocking elements. You may have some trouble finding some models, but i will echo Roger that the VIP-302SR is indeed available locally in Ottawa.
post #393 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 10:45 PM

You can still get them in Ottawa? That's good to know. Last I checked, they weren't available.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct 91-XG & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #394 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-16, 12:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STU593
What do you think?
[Just realized ... Looks like you're only about 3 miles from Herbert's Corner Transmitter!
That could cause issues. Those signals coming in very strong.]

Yes - the Winegard HD8200U VHF/UHF/FM combo monster is large, and might be overkill for your stated goals. (rotor definitely required I think - to make this unit / this large antenna worth it ...)

The reason I mention the large Winegard combo antenna is: - your location seems to be in a good spot, geographically, to receive signals furthur away from the U.S. (PBS Digital OTA - awsome. FM radio out of North NY State)

"Half way between Metcalfe and Greely Ontario" -you're just South East of Manotick, and Herbert's Corner's Transmitters. This means with a really good antenna and rotor, you could point your antenna Southwards - and take advantage of the rear rejection / front to back ratio of the antenna to cut down the nearby "Ottawa" stations - to help you receive furthur away U.S. stuff to the South if you want to try to.

I mention an antenna with possible long range FM reception because I know of a few good FM Radio stations out of Northern New York state.

esp. Classic FM

WJNY-FM 90.9 in Watertown,
WUNY-FM 89.5 in Utica
WCNY-FM 91.3 in Syracuse

I pick up WJNY FM 90.9 in the CAR along the hwy 401 and usually up hwy 416 to near Kemptville.

http://www.wcny.org/content/view/197/311/

There might also be the possibility for HD Radio - digital FM radio - reception of these stations. You need a special radio for that.

Not a sure thing ... depends ...

But it is not hard for me to imagine ... given your location ... the possibility to pick up good stuff - TV and FM from the U.S. too - with a good setup.

STU593 - did you have any luck picking up anything from the U.S. with your previous setup ? Any interest receiving stuff from the U.S. ?

I don't want to give you any false hopes of reception ... reliable reception OTA depends on alot of things ...

Last edited by mrvanwinkles; 2010-12-16 at 01:31 AM. Reason: add comment - only 3 miles to HC transmitter.
post #395 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-16, 09:59 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
you could even go all the way to a Delhi VIP-307SR as a VHF-only antenna if you want. All the Delhi VIP models have FM blocking elements. You may have some trouble finding some models
That is the kicker. Wade/Delhi stopped making consumer grade antennas a couple years back so finding the exact antenna you want could be a challenge. I recommended the VIP-302SR specifically because a local retailer has some in stock.

Edit: I have found a supplier in the US with a bunch of old Wade/Delhi antennas at a good price, including the VIP-303SR, VU-934SR and VU-935SR (all have elements to attenuate FM) and some cut channel Yagis. Anyone want to do a bulk order?
post #396 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-16, 10:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
FYI, the VU-932SR also apparently has elements to help block FM,
Ooops, I just read the fine print and the VU-932SR does not have the FM filtering elements, the other antennas in the VU series do though.
post #397 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-16, 10:41 PM

I would get some US stations at times, but very weak. It would be nice to get the PBS stations and maybe some commercial networks for sports, like ABC.

It sounds as if I should do a bit more research and explore the idea of maybe 2 antennas - one for Global and one for the other channels.
post #398 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-17, 11:37 AM

Quality of video - WWNY

For those of you receiving 28.1 and 28.2 (CBS and FOX), I'm wondering if you're seeing some very brief freezing now and then (only video, audio is ok). My reception strenght for wnyf is very good in both of my tuners, but I see this annoying freezing (a fraction of second or so). I do not understand its cause...

Last edited by skipticum; 2010-12-17 at 11:39 AM. Reason: WWNY should be WNYF
post #399 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-17, 11:47 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu593 View Post
I would get some US stations at times, but very weak. It would be nice to get the PBS stations and maybe some commercial networks for sports, like ABC.
PBS should be very doable, as should CBS/FOX (on either channel 18 or 7 as are both the same). ABC however would only occasionally be available as it is too week and too far away. NBC would only be a freak occurrence.

Quote:
It sounds as if I should do a bit more research
Probably a good idea. I know you wanted something in time for Christmas, but getting it right now will make you happier in the long run.

Quote:
explore the idea of maybe 2 antennas - one for Global and one for the other channels.
That would certainly be optimal, but the VU-934SR and VU-935SR combo antennas would also be very good options.
post #400 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-17, 12:31 PM

Roger1818 or flavoie, any thoughts on post 398? Thanks.
post #401 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-17, 12:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipticum View Post
Roger1818 or flavoie, any thoughts on post 398? Thanks.
I don't receive it myself, but my guess is the problem is on the transmission end.
post #402 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-17, 01:13 PM
HWP

I read post 398. I'm curious about that, too. I get that same symptom for WGRZ in Toronto. I don't have a good signal meter but my TV indicates a good signal. The channel is watchable but it is annoying enough that I will switch the the Canadian station showing the same show if I can. In my case, the picture studder is very regular (very brief, but every x-number of seconds, a pattern). It also happens on the subchannels. I had chalked it down to the change of winter weather since I never had the problem before.

OTA, HD7697P, CM7778, Rotator, CM3218, TiVo, HDHomeRun
Apple TV, Netflix, Teksavvy, Unblock-us, Wind, MagicJack
post #403 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-17, 01:55 PM

skipticum, sorry i cannot acknowledge the frame freezes, i don't watch it very much yet...

On WNYF(28.2, CBS) - I sometimes see something that looks related to the mpeg encoding = when there's a fast-moving area of the picture, that area alone pixelates. The rest of the image stays fine. Someone moving hands very fast in an american soap opera show is the easiest way to spot it...
post #404 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-17, 02:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
On WNYF(28.2, CBS) - I sometimes see something that looks related to the mpeg encoding = when there's a fast-moving area of the picture, that area alone pixelates. The rest of the image stays fine.
That blocking is the result of trying to compress both an HD and an SD program onto one physical channel. Fast motion is where the most datawidth is needed.
post #405 of 2071 (permalink) Old 2010-12-17, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I suspected the "glitch" is at the transmission side, but I wanted to make sure it is not related to my setup. I do not see this phenomenon with the rest of the OTA channels I receive.

Tags
antenna , dtv , installation , ota , samsung , screenshot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.