ON - Ottawa, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans - OTA - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #256 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-27, 03:05 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Same antenna, new marketing name...

Also I will be updating the Antenna Chart soon to reflect market changes and will restore the 8800 to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-27, 10:43 PM

Downtown from near the top of an apartment building

I was at someone's downtown apartment on the weekend and they were telling me how they only received two channels in analog via their antenna. They live near the top floor of a 30 story building. Taking a look, I saw they had an LG HD tv with an RCA clone of a squareshooter antenna complete with inline powered RCA amplifier.

Their antenna was flat on a cabinet, I turned it vertical and did a rescan. Facing north with line of sight to Camp Fortune, I was able to receive 25 channels including Sun, CBC English and CBC French, Omni 1, PBS Plattsburg (1, 2, 3) and another PBS just above it (Watertown?). (City TV and Omni 2 were the only local digitals I didn't pick up). Needless to say they were very happy. I plan on pointing the antenna south and rescanning to see if I can get Fox, CBS or ABC but that won't be for a while.

On a side note, I saw that CTV was broadcasting TSN Sportscentre (Analog CH 13) complete with the TSN logo. Has anyone noticed that before?
post #258 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 12:44 PM

Location: OTtAwa (Byward Market); Sony Bravia KDL46SL140; Mini State HDMS9100
Ott8915:

Would you be able to post the tvfool results for that location?

I would like to compare them to mine and see if I'm in a position to receive any of the PBS stations. Of course, your friend has approx. 18 storey height advantage on me.
post #259 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 01:32 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchahn View Post
Of course, your friend has approx. 18 storey height advantage on me.
That is the key to their reception results. I have said this before, but unfortunately those in central Ottawa have no hope of receiving any American broadcasts, unless they have amazing elevation. On the 30th floor, they do have amazing elevation (about 300 feet) likely with LOS to WNPI, WCFE and WNYF-LP.
post #260 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 02:25 PM
Rookie

I'm on the 11th story of an apartment building, but I think my antenna is garbage - a Jensen TV-611 - so all I'm getting is CBC-HD english and it cuts out repeatedly. Not sure if its the antenna or the fact that my building has thick walls, as I'm new to this.

TVFool says I should be receiving somewhere around 10 channels: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a362c0c7a96bb0 but that ain't happening...
post #261 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 02:26 PM

gmd,

I was getting something on 28.1...identified as wnyf-cd by my HTPC. I am not sure what the station is because I havn't been able to tune it in since. It was HD. This was several weeks ago now. So I am thinking it is not the Massena broadcast.

Mike
post #262 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 02:47 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychicoctopus View Post
I'm on the 11th story of an apartment building, but I think my antenna is garbage - a Jensen TV-611 - so all I'm getting is CBC-HD english and it cuts out repeatedly. Not sure if its the antenna or the fact that my building has thick walls, as I'm new to this.
Hi and welcome psychicoctopus. That antenna won't give amazing results, but it should be OK. What direction does your apartment face? As you can see from your TVFool results, you need to face north-west to receive channels from Camp Fortune and south-west to receive channels from Herberts Corners. The re-enforced concrete walls in apartments make it difficult to receive signals from the opposite side of the building.

Quote:
TVFool says I should be receiving somewhere around 10 channels but that ain't happening...
You can ignore the CRC channels as they are Canadian Research Counsel test stations and aren't always broadcasting anything (and never anything terribly interesting).
post #263 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 04:27 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the response roger1818. I tried changing the antenna's position to face north-west (I face north) but it did not improve much. The only CBC I get (English) cut out repeatedly and the analog channels looked quite bad. I picked up an RCA Digital Flat Antenna (there's a return policy and I wanted to test it out). CBC-OT works much better now, but I still don't get any other DTV channels.

There is a Phillips HDTV antenna for sale nearby, and they claimed it was one of the better ones. I was considering picking that one up and testing it out as well. I'm hoping to get at least 2 or 3 digital channels...
post #264 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 04:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychicoctopus View Post
There is a Phillips HDTV antenna for sale nearby, and they claimed it was one of the better ones.
Not sure which antenna you are looking at, but I haven't heard many good things about Phillips antennas. One of the best antennas for indoor use is a double bow-tie antenna (such as the CM-4220 or DB-2). Another good option is the ClearStream2. Both of these are designed as outdoor antennas but are small enough to be used indoors.
post #265 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 07:01 PM
Rookie

It's a Philips SDV2750, and it actually works better than the RCA antenna (which will be returned promptly) as it picks up 2 HDTV channels (CBC-OT English and French) and sometimes a third (OMNI1-HD). I'm going to stop by the store in the west end of ottawa to see if they have any of the antennas you mentioned.
post #266 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Hi and welcome skipticum. I really don't think you will have much hope of receiving WNYF-LP on 18 with an attic mount antenna, especially since your SS clone won't pick up WNPI, which is almost 10dB stronger.

Your results are actually pretty indicative of what TV Fool predicts, saying that WCFE can be received with an attic mount antenna, but WNPI and WNYF-LP may require an outdoor antenna. A better antenna will make WCFE more reliable however, especially in the winter when reception of distant stations gets worse.
I built a trial SBGH antenna and placed it in the attic next to the SS clone. Guess what? Now I'm receiving WNPI (physical channel 18) (PBS) clearly and my reception improved a lot across the board. So now I'm wondering if I should get an amplifier hoping to catch CBC and FOX on WNYF-LP.
post #267 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchahn View Post
Ott8915:

Would you be able to post the tvfool results for that location?

I would like to compare them to mine and see if I'm in a position to receive any of the PBS stations. Of course, your friend has approx. 18 storey height advantage on me.
You can view the TV Fool results here:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a3620d314667ea

They are using the black RCA Flat Digital Antenna (thanks psychicoctopus for the name) which I view as a bad squareshooter clone. It also appears to be quite directional which I am interested in testing as they only receive one HD channel from Herbert's Corner (Omni 1) and there wasn't even a bit of reception on Channel 46 (A-Channel) with the others only in Analog (Omni 2 and City TV). This is pointed North towards Camp Fortune. I predict opposite results if I point it south through an outside wall.

As has been stated, elevation makes a huge difference in reception, much more so than antenna characteristics. As a result, my outdoor DB-8 and DBGH antennas are not able to pick up the PBS channels despite being better antennas in general (they are outside at roughly 2nd floor height) in the middle of a downtown neighbourhood.
post #268 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 09:38 PM

psychicoctopus, this store in the west end does carry the CM4220HD in stock. They actually also have it behind a window hooked up to an LCD for presentation, they're lucky enough to have a skylight right above the store which enables the antenna to pick up 1-2 CF channels. You'll even notice there's 2 versions of the antenna, one with or without a mount. Not your nicest looking antenna, but I agree with roger it should be a lot more effective...
post #269 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 10:08 PM
Veteran

I'm using a Phillips SDV3132/27 that I picked up for eight bucks at a surplus store. Plugged it in to my Bell 9242, and I currently get CBC english, CBC french, City, and Sun. The antenna just sits on top of one of my theatre cabinets and is completely out of sight. I know I could do better, but for eight dollars, I can't complain! My main hope was that I would get Sens games in HD when Bell shows Montreal and Toronto and puts Ottawa on CBO. A nice benefit that I am enjoying is watching the National live while my PVR records two other shows.

Located in K4B, south east of Orleans. I'll go bigger/better some day with an antenna.

post #270 of 2094 (permalink) Old 2010-09-29, 08:58 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott8915 View Post
... there wasn't even a bit of reception on Channel 46 (A-Channel)

Just to avoid confusing anyone else, I'd like to point out that /A\ (formerly A-channel, formerly New RO, official call letters CHRO-TV-43) is on analog channel 43.

Tags
antenna , dtv , installation , ota , samsung , screenshot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.