ON - Ottawa, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans - OTA - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 05:30 PM
Veteran

Factory Direct has some antennas in stock. You might want to try them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 05:31 PM
Veteran

I got chicken wire at Home Hardware, but that was earlier in the summer.
post #213 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd View Post
Out of NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, CW, PBS, the only one that is reliable is PBS, with WNPI and WCFE. CBS and Fox
My cbs and fox are solid most nights. WCFE and WNPI are always 100% everyday all day long, so that is 6 PBS channels, with 2 of them in HD. I have the cm4228 and my long range channel master that is good for 100 miles

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-09-16 at 09:45 PM.
post #214 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 08:33 PM

amac, regarding your mention of the lack of suppliers in Ottawa, there is at least one supplier I found which carries things in stock here in Ottawa, I posted it in the shopping forum:

OTA: Ontario Parts, Sales, Service, Installers
post #215 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 09:21 PM

Wow, wish I had seen your post earlier. I'm studying the reception results now.

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-09-16 at 09:43 PM. Reason: quoting removed as per rules
post #216 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 08:37 AM
gmd

Reception in Blackburn Hamlet

Amac, keep us posted as how things to. I'm in Blackburn and get PBS (WNPI, 95% of the time, WCFE, 75% of the time) with an antenna and amp.

I've never seen CRC's loop on channel 38 (only on 46).

-gmd

SC: 8-Feb-02>21-Jul-09 (TFO) | EVu: 23-Jan to 03-Feb-07, back 20-Jun-09
Bell, French packages, pls! Long live OTA!
post #217 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 02:26 PM

On a bike ride with my kids I saw a tower with a big Yagi on it pointed toward WCFE/WNPI. I'm envious if that is you.

Having re-read a few threads again, I think my next try will be to get a UVSJ and see if the KITZ amp is overloading. The signal strength seemed to fluctuate (oscillate?) consistently from 23-72% for both WNPI/WCFE.

Last edited by admin; 2011-08-25 at 03:09 PM.
post #218 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 02:59 PM

amac, I went there recently and picked up an HLSJ instead of a UVSJ.
I figured the problems would likely be from FM and vhf low, and wanted to keep vhf hi available for my 4228hd.
post #219 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 04:15 PM

flavoie,

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I didn't know an HLSJ existed. Of course, it wasn't too long ago that I didn't know a UVSJ existed. Did it make a difference for you?
post #220 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 04:49 PM

I do not know yet for myself, but an FM trap made a difference to backpackster, and he is closeby, and an HLSJ should be the equivalent of a (VHF Low + FM) trap.
post #221 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 05:12 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
an HLSJ should be the equivalent of a (VHF Low + FM) trap.
Should is the operative word. It all depends where the 3dB point of the high pass filter is. If I were designing it, I would put it just below 174MHz (the lower edge of Channel 7), but who knows if that is what they did.

The other thing to note is the HLSJ isn't certified to pass UHF on the VHF-HI side, but others have said it does. It is likely just that they don't test it at those frequencies.

Nice to know that there is a local supplier of HLSJs though.
post #222 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 06:44 PM

Is there a quick read for understanding TVFool reports?

I would like to understand how to interpret TVFool information. How does one add individual channel power and determine if an overload can occur. I remember there was a thread from FLavoie that stated when the Kitz would overload but I don't know how to do TV math.

I ask because if I try to filter only FM and VHF-LO, will the remaining VHS-HI channels still be too strong?

Once again, here's my TVfool report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a362be4d4f9822

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-09-18 at 01:15 PM.
post #223 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-18, 07:50 AM
HWP

amac,
My gut is still telling me you're working with lousy TV tuners. Before doing anything drastic buy or borrow a real tv or d2a converter box, point exactly at 18 PBS, and adjust your Kitz amp back to the max.

Your Kitz amp noise level is 0.5 when at max. As you lower the gain, you are raising the noise level. If you talk to Mr. Kitz on the phone he advises to avoid using the gain control if possible.

I know you mentioned overload before. But try it again with a different tuner.

Don't give up.

By the way, your TV Fool report says it is for your postal code - not your exact address. I wonder if it might be helpful to re-do your TV Fool report using your exact address. Don't worry, your exact address is not shown on the report that we all view.

OTA, HD7697P, CM7778, Rotator, CM3218, TiVo, HDHomeRun
Apple TV, Netflix, Teksavvy, Unblock-us, Wind, MagicJack
post #224 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-18, 09:01 PM

If you think you are also overloading your TV with the Kitz turned all the way up and because there is not much splitting of the signal and not much cable length, you can always add an attenuator before the TV input. Make sure to put the attenuator after your preamp power inserter, or have an attenuator that passes DC power.
post #225 of 2093 (permalink) Old 2010-09-20, 01:23 PM

Attic reception in Orleans (Cumberland): Fieldfair Way?

Right up front I’d like to state that an outdoor antenna is out of the question for me. Therefore, the best next option is to place my antenna in the attic, and I have done that. The following are my results using A Turk (SS clone) with amplifier (near TV). The antenna is placed at the highest point possible in the attic at approximately 24 feet from the ground level.

I get all the digital local channels (six of them):
CBOT (~90%)
CBOFT (~90%)
Sun (~90%)
OMNIHD1 (80%)
OMNIHD2 (70%)
CityTVHD (95%)

And as a bonus I get,

WCEF (one HD and two SD) (~76%)

At night reception improves dramatically for all channels with minimum quality of ~90% for WCEF. I may add that when the power to the amp is off I lose few of my digital channels, including WCEF. My cable run from the attic to the TV is about 60 feet using RG6 cable.
Now here’s my question. Given the information from TVfool (link attached) for my (exact) coordinates, and the good reception using an indoor antenna (Turk) is it reasonable to assume if I were to build diy 4-bay antenna and placed in the attic I will be able to pull in at least one of the US Networks (ABC or CBS), or is what I got know is the limit of what I can get? I’ll appreciate very much your feedback, before I embark on building my own antenna.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a3627c775c5c0a

Tags
antenna , dtv , installation , ota , samsung , screenshot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.