ON - Ottawa, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans - OTA - Page 148 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #2206 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2017-09-08, 07:15 PM
Veteran

It's not a rumour, in the sense that the official transition plan has CJOH moving from channel 13 to channel 7. What Bell Media does in the end is anyone's guess.

Code:
Table A1 — Phases and linked station dependency details for Canadian OTA TV stations
Call sign	New DTV ch.	Existing ch.Type	Prov	City	   Phase number	Start of on-air testing period (MM/DD/YYYY)	End of on-air testing period (MM/DD/YYYY)	Phase end date (MM/DD/YYYY)	Linked station
CJOH-TV-8	 9	         8  A	         RP	ON	Cornwall	  10	        05/02/2020	07/03/2020	07/03/2020	Yes
CJOH-TV-6* 	16	         6  A	         RP	ON	Deseronto	  11	        10/09/2020	11/20/2020	11/20/2020	No
CJOH-DT	         7	        13 D	         RP	ON	Ottawa	     10	        05/02/2020	07/03/2020	07/03/2020	Yes
CJOH-TV-47  	28	        47 A	         RP	ON	Pembroke	  10	        05/02/2020	07/03/2020	07/03/2020	No
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2207 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2017-10-18, 05:54 PM
Rookie

Hello All, I have a question about the CJOH transmitter for 13.1; Has it been off the air for 2 or 3 days? If it's on the air, then my VHF antenna is broken. Thanks in advance for your reply.
post #2208 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2017-10-18, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollydigital2 View Post
Hello All, I have a question about the CJOH transmitter for 13.1; Has it been off the air for 2 or 3 days? If it's on the air, then my VHF antenna is broken. Thanks in advance for your reply.
IIRC, I was receiving it last night.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

post #2209 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2017-10-18, 06:43 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply DXer. I guess I'll pull it down and have a look. We did get a bit of that wind storm that went through town a few days ago.
post #2210 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2017-10-31, 01:03 PM
Rookie

Ottawa channels

Hello. I'm new here. I live in Cornwall. Recently repaired my 40ft tower with Large channelmaster Vhf/uhf/fm antenna. The antenna is pointed northwest towards Ottawa. My rg6 cable failed last fall and I left it to repair until last month. Last fall I was able to receive many stations off Camp Fortune tower. Now I can only get cbc4 Ottawa and sometimes global OTTAWA.I used to receive Omni ,cjoh,and many others off that tower site. Is my antenna not pointed correctly or are there problems at the tower site. I replaced my pre amp with a new channelmaster 30db uhf booster. Maybe its just a matter of moving the antenna slightly more west, thanks
post #2211 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2017-12-05, 12:35 PM

Hi, I am in Gatineau and lately I am having problems with CTV Ottawa.
On Monday November 27th, the Good doctor didn't record properly, (lots of pixelations). Signal strength on my Panasonic tv was around 73 to 75%.
The next day, I have decided to verify my antenna in the attic. But surprise, the signal was back at 100%. So decided not to do anything.
Then Sunday December 3rd, Gotham didn't record properly. I couldn't verify the signal strength since I wasn't at home, but the next day , Monday, everything is at 100%, and this morning it's at 92%. I am using an 8 bay digiwave antenna and a rabbit ears in the attic, and a 4 tunersTablo tv to record. I am recording almost every night at CTV and don't have problems, but once in a while the signal drop.
Does anyone know if CTV is doing some work on their transmitter lately? Or any of you have a better explanation?

Thanks

Dishdigger: I would verify the cable and the cable connections, or play with the antenna setup, or try it without the preamp?
post #2212 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2017-12-05, 05:34 PM

Do you have a signal QUALITY meter in your TV? Signal strength can be high, but quality can be low - typically due to multipath interference. If you have a signal quality meter, this will show you something related to the signal-to-noise ratio, which is the important number.

If you quality is marginal under 'normal' conditions, then it may go below the required threshold when, for instance, you have snow on the roof or intermittent multipath.

How are you joining the two antennas, with a combiner/splitter or a UVSJ? It should be the latter, else you'll get phase cancellation between the two antennas which is similar to multipath in effect.
post #2213 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2017-12-07, 02:58 PM

Thanks DXer,

Today the signal from my Panasonic tv frequency meter (not quality meter)was at 80% for CTV Ottawa, so I have decided to go into the attic and try to move my antennas and look at the splitter. I found out that I have completely disconnected the rabbit's ears more then a year ago since it was giving me problems with Global at that time. Sorry I forgot about that. So it isn't because of the splitter.
Got the signal up to 90% for CTV, but I think the signal for CTV 2 and City went down? I will try this for a few days...
post #2214 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2017-12-08, 09:07 AM

The most likely solution is to use a UVSJ ro combine your UHF antenna with the rabbit ears. This will eliminate the possibility of phase cancellation between the two antennas, and if you set the length of the rabbit ears to that appropriate to channel 13 (about 74 cm tip-to-tip) and set them horizontally, perpendicular to the direction of Camp Fortune, you should get better results.

Attics are hostile environments for TV antennas, usually having realtive dead spots and multipath problems. It's worthwhile trying many different locations in the attic to try to improve signal quality.

post #2215 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2017-12-17, 10:37 PM
Rookie

I have found that the best reception I get is aimed 'southwest'. I live in the Manotick area.

My antenna(s) comes from Amazon, is about the size of an 8 1/2 by 11 inch piece of (plastic coated and black) paper.

It is powered by a USB port and has a built in pre-amp. The stated range is about approx 30 - 40 miles.

It costed about $30.00 each ( a year ago) and works really well.

I typically get about 10 channels ( 4,6,11,13,14,24,42,43,60 and 65.) and with a bit of dithering, I can fine tune for channel clarity. About 7 of them are really clear and the others work if I move the antenna a few degrees either way to adjust.

Note that I have my (2) antennas hanging from a simple 2 * 4 frame with a 1 1/2" cross-member. Both of them work through glass (behind) windows.

However,I just lost Global TV (6) for reasons unknown, about 2 days now - seems like the broadcast is dead .....
post #2216 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2017-12-18, 07:54 AM

Global is on 41.1 rescan needed!
post #2217 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2017-12-19, 08:49 PM
Rookie

Thanks about re-scanning tip ...

Funny, but mysteriously, Global is back.

My Smart LG TV found it by itself (on ch 6.1 @ 1080p & 6.2 @ 420p) without a scan request.

My 'old' display unit from Best Buy aka boxing day special "Insignia" needed a scan request, but it found them also.

I guess I'll just stay happy getting it free (for now) seeing as who knows what's next.

Just want to put out an idea out here ....

About 3 years ago, I bought a rooftop HD antenna from the USA that has a stated max range of 150 miles.

Due to a $$itload of excuses and delays, I haven't got it up yet. This spring 4 sure.

Anyway, the point is I haven't seen a Canadian equivalent that matches the small, lightweight size and specs at a reasonable price.

This unit has all the bells and whistles and the price (if I'm not losing it) was around $300.00 Cdn. which included shipping. I got a 'mini' tower aka tripod and a short mast that at full height will be about 20 ft. hi. I have a clear view south / southwest and sit in a favourable spot.

For the real cable cutters, if you can mount one in a decent spot, you'll grab some U S stuff for free.

We have family about 50 km south and they get twice as many OTA channels (without the big power boosters) than I do. I get 11 (so far).

Based on a website that shows the active transmitter locations in real-time, I'll be getting some good U S stuff soon ....

In Canada, there are only a few networks anyway, so why pay for cable TV when the OTA stuff is relatively easy to get for many - but to fair, not everyone has access to a good mix of free TV stuff.

But here's my last point for today about cable-cutting.

IF you have a good hi-speed internet connection, you can save a few bucks ...

I use a majic-jack (VOIP) for $3.33 month (unlimited long distance calls across N A for 24/7)
+
$50.00 for 30 Mps unlimited internet
+
3 paid subsciptions + lot's of free stuff (about $50.00)

for a total of $103.00.

I also have a backup 'Chatr' phone for $25.00 because you need '911' or emergency situations to be contacted.

Still, not so bad ... of you are on a tight budget.

Last edited by ronnybaby; 2017-12-19 at 09:05 PM.
post #2218 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 04:32 PM
Rookie

Recommendations on a tuner for Westboro. I live in a direct line to Camp Fortune, I have excellent reception using a Channel Master 4228. I've run a coax line to the TV in the basement, and have enjoyed CBC and about 10 other channels for the past 8 years or so. I've finally purchased a second TV, but the new one does not incorporate a digital tuner. I don't need analog anything, and most tuners at BestBuy seem to be about converting analog to digital.

Any recommendations on a digital tuner? I have coax coming in behind where the new TV will be. In order to hook the tuner up to the TV, the connection will likely have to be via HDMI. So I would need a digital tuner which accepts cox and outputs HDMI.

Thanks,
DD.
post #2219 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare978devil View Post
most tuners at BestBuy seem to be about converting analog to digital.
DD.
The tuners at Best Buy will be for converting digital (now the OTA broadcast standard) to analog (for viewers with older TVs). They usually also incorporate an HDMI output, and as such, would suit your purpose. I believe they have the Homeworx 150, which also has recording capability with a USB drive, but don't expect a wonderful guide for that price!

There are other units usually classed as DVRs that would also suit your purpose, such as the Channel Master DVR+ (which, it has just been announced, they are discontinuing), or the TiVo. These are much more expensive, but much better units - especially the guide.

post #2220 of 2223 (permalink) Old 2018-01-12, 08:40 PM
Rookie

Ah right. Yes, absolutely, tuners at BB convert digital to analog. I am just looking for a tuner because my new TV does not have one. I don't need a DVR, I never record anything. I need a tuner capable of decoding ATSC digital broadcasts captured by my CM4228 and displaying them on my new TV which only has HDMI inputs. Any suggestions? I'll look into the Homeworx, and maybe I can get my hands on the DVR+. Sounds like it would fit the bill. I don't need a guide either (I assume you mean onscreen TV guide?), I only get about a dozen channels and generally watch only 3 (CTV, TVO, and CBC). So whichever unit can handle the signal with no other features necessary.

Thanks.

Tags
antenna , dtv , installation , ota , samsung , screenshot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.