ON - London, St. Thomas, Woodstock, Goderich - OTA - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-07-29, 07:46 PM

OTA signals in London?

I just got my Sony KDL32L4000 and would like to receive OTA signals in London,Ontario...
I have "Turned-Off" the "Cable - On/Off" in the TV menu to enable the TV to receive "Antenna Signals",and hooked-up a simple dipole antenna to the input of the TV (Coax Connetor).
Then I did a search on my TV for Analog & Digital Channels...
A few channels did come up on the search as I recall, But, the reception was very poor...
Do I need a better signal source (Antenna) to get OTA in the City Of London, or is London to congested to get anything decent...???
Or is my "DIY" dipole antenna not going to do the job...???
Thanks for any suggestions or help...
*Hooking-Up the dipole, was only a very
temporary way for me to see if any signals were available*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-07-29, 07:53 PM

Thumbs down

Forgetaboutit. Digital OTA is virtually non-existent in London. If you are on the outskirts (i.e. south, east or west of the city proper) and don't mind investing a few $thousands in a 60'-80' tower, you might be able to pick up a few stations consistently.
post #48 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-07-30, 07:27 PM

Shouldn't Londoners be able to pick up OTA from Erie, PA? I'm pretty sure the London area get's radio signals from that area.

post #49 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-07-30, 08:22 PM

Talking

I have never been able to pick up Erie radio stations in the city. It's possible to pick them up by driving 30 minutes SE though. Not even Rogers cable gets clear signals from Erie. I don't think the Erie ATSC stations are up to full power yet either. London is basically in a valley with a dividing hilltop at the south extremity. A very tall tower is required to see over that hill and city bylaws prohibit tall TV antenna towers. Despite their proximity, reception of US stations is pretty much limited to skip during warm weather. This is compounded by the abundance of stations sharing the same frequency in equidistant markets in Toronto, NY, PA, OH and MI. Then there are a number of Canadian repeater stations on adjacent frequencies. It makes reception in London almost impossible for most stations. OTOH, drive 30 minutes in any direction and US signals start popping up. Go figure. It's no accident that the first cable company was started in London and cable had a 95% penetration rate as early as the 1960s. London is truly the armpit of Southern Ontario.
post #50 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-08-01, 08:10 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Question Grand Bend HDTV?

A relative of mine is thinking about getting an HDTV in Grand Bend, but now the question is how to get an HD signal. Currently, they are on the cable provided through Southcott Pines, but I don't think they have an HD service. So I guess that leaves OTA or going with a satellite provider?!?

I think OTA might require a sizable tower to a) get over the trees and b) get the distant signals from Detroit, so maybe I should dissuade them on OTA if they aren't comfortable with this setup??

On the other hand, the property isn't used much outside of the summer months and paying for satellite 12 months a year might not be too palatable either?

Any thoughts on what I should recommend to them? Thanks!!

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #51 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-08-02, 08:27 AM

Quote:
A relative of mine is thinking about getting an HDTV in Grand Bend
My family used to have a cottage not too far from Southcott Pines.

A 50 to 60ft tower is required to get reliable reception of Michigan UHF channels.

All the Michigan HD channels will be on UHF after next years' analog shutdown (except Fox 2 Detroit which will be on ch 7). There are NO Canadian HD channels.

Another option is the Star Choice 2nd residence program with satellite at home and at the cottage.
post #52 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-08-02, 01:06 PM
Veteran

Getting Detroit stations from Grand Bend is going to be quite a stretch even with a good portion of the signal travelling over water (Lakes St. Clair and Huron). A high tower is a must as is a pre-amp. The cost won't be cheap.

Satellite might just be the best solution (either Star Choice or ExpressVu).
post #53 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-08-02, 07:56 PM
Veteran

Having camped at Pinery park several summers and would agree that a deep fringe set-up would be required.There are 100 ft sand hills along the park and if you are behind this ridge then you could have a problem.If the antenna can see the water then it should be work.Driving around the area I seen many CM 4248 yagi pointing toward the U.S.I received alot of Michican FM at the Pinery Park but Detriot FM would fade sometimes.Check car reception at location for Detriot FM 101.1 and 104.3 seem strongest.Port Huron is alot closer but I am not sure if they have any TV Tx just FM.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #54 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-09-07, 03:18 PM
Rookie

Question London: HDTV Tuner?

Hey guys, I just joined these forums to ask you guys a question.

I'm getting a computer soon and I am wondering if it's worth it having an HDTV tuner built in.

I live in London and I never had a TV tuner before (I use Dish Network) but I think it's really nice to be able to watch something quick or leave it in the background while working, is there enough channels on the air in London to keep my interest?

I've been hearing it's "non existent" and using just a small Laptop Tuner, I think it would be pretty hard to get any sort of signal!

I'm getting the D7t series with the "hp integrated hdtv hybrid tuner"

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by Metallic; 2008-09-07 at 03:45 PM.
post #55 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-09-07, 07:38 PM

Re: HDTV Tuner

I suppose it would all depend if it had a antenna built in or what kind of one you would have hooked up.

In terms of getting anything Digital/HD (ATSC) here in London we have one OTA station now, Sun TV on Channel 19.

If your tuner picks up (it should) Analogue (NTSC) channels then you will likely get "A", Omni 1&2, CBC, SRC, CTS and if your lucky CITY, Global, CTV and E! since they don't have their towers in London and once again it all depends on the antenna. I'm east of London and just use simple rabbit ears. I get all of those except Global.

Also, here in Canada all broadcasts are going to have to be in Digital/HD (ATSC) by sometime in 2011. Based on current trends don't except many channels in our area to launch in Digital/HD until right before the cutoff.
post #56 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-09-07, 08:43 PM
Rookie

Hmm, so in about 3 years i'll start to really take advantage of the T.V tuner... I think I'll pass for now.

Thanks for the reply!
post #57 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-10-30, 10:43 PM
Rookie

can you get any HD channels in London, ont? Say from Toronto, Windsor or Detroit? If so, would a regular bunny ear or cheap radio shack antenna work? I have an HDTV with a ATSC turner built in.
post #58 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-10-30, 11:01 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I think only one right now, but if you put the word "London" into the Search this Thread tool to the upper right you'll see all the London posts in this thread.
post #59 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-10-31, 08:07 PM

London is over 100 miles from Southfield, where the Detroit towers are. Windsor does not have any digital stations.

Sorry, but you'll have to look elsewhere.
post #60 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2008-11-02, 12:58 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

That's great - anyone here from London getting it too? I would think with that signal level in St. Thomas it would be a sure thing in London!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.