ON - London, St. Thomas, Woodstock, Goderich - OTA - Page 154 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #2296 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2017-11-06, 10:58 AM
Veteran

Quote:
As soon as I added the VHF, all channels disappeared so there is something amiss
I would be looking closely at cables and connections.
Some basic things to check...
1. UVSJ - Are the antennas connected to the correct inputs?
2. Are the cables and connectors shorted or open and are center conductors long enough.
3. Is the preamp connected correctly and is it getting power? To check the preamp power easily, try it with and without the power inserter plugged in.

Try taking the preamp and UVSJ out of the equation and connecting the antennas one at a time. Do the UHF and VHF antennas perform well alone and without the preamp? How do they perform when the UVSJ is added? When the preamp is added? A basic troubleshooting technique is to remove or replace a component to see if it is working correctly. Another is to double check all work in case a simple mistake was made.

Physical location of the preamp or UVSJ is not important. I would put them wherever they are easiest to access. It's possible that channel 10 is causing overload so putting the preamp between the 91XG and the UVSJ might be an option. That would remove the VHF antenna from the preamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2297 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2017-11-06, 11:12 AM

Big thank you to everyone who chimed in - I really appreciate all the excellent knowledge you guys are willing to share. I'll keep you all posted on how I make out. Thanks again
post #2298 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2017-11-06, 11:39 AM

Be sure to disconnect the power supply again before you reconnect the RG6 to the pre-amp (and don't forget to plug it in again afterwards!).

DXer, I know I didn't do this on many attempts at moving and reconnecting the RG6 to the pre-amp - silly question but, what is the danger there? I'm not technically inclined!

post #2299 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2017-11-06, 12:00 PM
Veteran

It's a basic precaution to prevent personal injury or damage due to accidental surges and shorts when using power carrying cables. 12 to 24 volts isn't much but could potentially cause a slight shock that will startle and lead to further injury.
post #2300 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2017-11-06, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rads47 View Post
Be sure to disconnect the power supply again before you reconnect the RG6 to the pre-amp (and don't forget to plug it in again afterwards!).

DXer, I know I didn't do this on many attempts at moving and reconnecting the RG6 to the pre-amp - silly question but, what is the danger there? I'm not technically inclined!
I was think more of damage to the power supply caused by shorting it out, or possible damage to the pre-amp. I use switches (containing semiconductor devices) in a satellite system, and they are very sensitive to being damaged through being disconnected whilst being powered. Pre-amps are probably less sensitive, but some of them are expensive enough to not to want to take a chance!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
post #2301 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2017-11-10, 04:18 PM

Hi All,
Updating you again and I appreciate all the responses. Turns out it was a wonky CM7777. I re-routed things by-passing the pre amp and all is working good. I've picked up a Winegard LNA 200 pre-amp this time as I've now had 2 CM's that have kicked it on me - granted the one was dropped from roof to ground so I'll take the blame on that one. The Winegard just seems a lot more stable and easy to work with. In any event, I'm really pleased with the Stellar Labs VHF. Last night was its first test run - it was a brutal night with high winds and heavy snow in my area - CKCO RF13 which was the main goal (other than tropo fun of course) was in pretty stable based on the weather - with some minor drop outs. This morning with things calmed down my signal was nice and solid. CFPL RF10 was of course an easy capture at my location. I'm thinking after the re-pack this unit may likely become more well received with a few new channels on that spectrum. DetroitTVFAN shoot me another message if you didn't get my pm response back to you.
post #2302 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2017-11-11, 01:46 PM

Hi rads47.........got your pm and link thankyou.

How did it work for WJBK Fox2 RF7???? Can u pick it up now with the vhf only???
post #2303 of 2304 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 02:06 PM

DetroitTVFAN, no good e-skip or tropo when I've been checking so haven't seen much of WJBK. I'm hopeful it'll be in some evenings and early am this winter, but of late, the weather hasn't been very good for distant reception.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.