ON - Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Halton - OTA - Page 90 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1336 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-10-24, 07:58 PM

There is no Rochester channel on RF 44.

Only RF 45 and 46.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1337 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-10-24, 09:44 PM

I know theres no Rochester on 44 but everytime the Rochester channels come in here in Hamilton I lose city tv cause 45 is so strong it affects 44.its just like channel 15 chch affects the 14 channel fox for a lot of Canadians.when an next to anougher channel is so strong it over powers the other channel signal.
post #1338 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-10-25, 08:08 AM
Rookie

Interesting. Where do you find that info? Not doubting your info, but Rabbitears still shows it as on the tower.

post #1339 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-10-25, 08:28 AM
Veteran

You are probably seeing co channel interference via tropo from elsewhere on ch 44. Not likely to be caused by out of market adjacent channel.
Syracuse, Detroit, and Lima, OH all have a full power RF 44.

All 3 of the Rogers Media stations 40, 44, and 47 are effectively Low Power TV stations.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #1340 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-10-26, 10:01 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the great input guys.
I had some time yesterday to play around with this some more. There must have been some weird interference when I was originally trying to pick up CityTV over the weekend. I had completely different results yesterday. When aimed at the tower I picked up CITY and all the other channels coming from that direction. Messing around with the antenna I was briefly able to pick up both FOX and CITY for around 15min or so but that didn't last long. Especially once I split the feed to run to two TVs I completely lose either one or the other because of the splitter and additional signal loss.

My run from the antenna to the electrical panel is about 50ft and then I have another 50ft from there to each of the TVs, so around 100ft. Would I be better off getting an external pre-amp mounted on the antenna or just install something inside the home by the electrical panel?
post #1341 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-10-26, 11:07 AM

I started with a pre-amp on the antenna, and it did help pull in a few distant channels for me. I also added a distribution amp and it helped with the channels that would lose signal a few seconds every 5-10 minutes.

I found the pre-amp does a better job in improving signal quality.
post #1342 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-10-26, 02:18 PM
Rookie

I had issues periodically with 2.x and even FOX until I put in a preamp on the antenna. All rock solid now.
post #1343 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-10-26, 04:55 PM
Rookie

So I ended up going with a Focus 4 bay that I found for 10 bux on kijiji. I get 24 channels pointed towards Toronto from Burlington. I plan on buying another 4 bay antenna today and point it towards buffalo and join the coaxial to see how many channels I get.

Im quite happy with the cheap antenna I have at the moment and am glad I didnt bother dropping 200 on the DB8E. Same technology, same design.
post #1344 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-10-26, 05:58 PM

The Focus 8 bay has been working for me for almost 2 years now with no issues. Some people think it is junk, but it works great so far in my situation. I recommend them to others who want to try out OTA and want a cheap solution to get started.
post #1345 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-10-26, 09:16 PM
Rookie

To each their own. That's the thing with OTA, I've discovered from what I read. What works for you may not work for others, and vice versa. Aka YMMV.
post #1346 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-11-06, 01:43 PM
Rookie

Yeah I think it will be my next little project when I have some time to get a pre-amp. I presume I would have to run another RG6 cable from the inside of my house out to the antenna, is that a correct assumption? One for power, and the other for the signal? Can anyone recommend a good pre-amp (by good I mean good price/performance ratio )
post #1347 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-11-07, 09:30 AM
Rookie

Actually, it's easier. The amp is powered by your existing coax. You add the amp at the masthead, and then inside the house you insert a little device into the coax line that plugs into the wall and provides power. It pushes power up the line, but does not let power go downstream to your tuner.

As far as what to use, I have the winegard ln200. Around 60 bucks on Amazon. Well reviewed and widely used in our area as far as I can tell.
post #1348 of 1351 (permalink) Old 2017-11-08, 10:51 AM

The "little device" is called a power inserter. Just make sure there are no splitters between the inserter and pre amp. Most splitters do not pass DC unless specified on the splitter.

FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, Avenger PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR

Tags
antenna , merger , signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.