ON - Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Halton - OTA - Page 68 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1006 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-03-27, 12:27 PM
HWP

I'd get an Antennas Direct DB4e with a Winegard 269 pre-amp. I would mount the antenna high enough to clear all obstructions (at roof height, outdoors) and aim it in the direction of the weaker Buffalo transmitters. You'll likely get all the channels you want and a handful of other bonus channels you didn't know about.

This will be a good compliment to your satellite service.

Good luck.

I don't think the attic is a viable option for you since some of your desired signals are on the weak side. Outdoor will get you better results.

OTA, HD7697P, CM7778, Rotator, CM3218, TiVo, HDHomeRun
Apple TV, Netflix, Teksavvy, Unblock-us, Wind, MagicJack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1007 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-01, 01:12 PM

Does any one know anything about Channel Master antennas?? I think the model is 4228HD I saw it for sale at Nutech Electronics in Hamilton, Ontario. I live in south central Burlington and, as I have said before, I am looking to receive Buffalo channels. Also, does anyone have any information on ******** antennas??

Is the price of the antenna related to the quality? Are $25 antennas worse quality than $100 antennas of the same brand??
post #1008 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-01, 11:43 PM

The CM 4228 is a very good UHF antenna. S Central Burlington, south of the QEW, you'll require the maximum height you can get, plus a UHF preamp, plus the CM4228, plus a rotor for reasonably reliable reception. This stationary antenna aimed at the weakest station won't always bring in the other Buffalo stations hence the need for rotor. Especially troublesome are Fox, NBC and CBS. Foggy days and temperature inversions over the lake will turn your border-line signals into nada. Don't bother with cheaper antennas, you will waste your time and be disappointed with the results.
post #1009 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-02, 12:17 PM

Does this mean that FOX, NBC, and CBS don't come in?? Dose this mean that an antenna in south central Burlington will not work?? I am trying to receive the Buffalo channels, as my satellite service does not carry them. We get the Detroit and Rochester feeds.
post #1010 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-02, 03:25 PM
HWP

Don't get that ******** antenna. Get either the DB4e by Antennas Direct or the 4228hd by Channel Master. I think you'd be happier with the DB4e, though. It is smaller and should work as well or better from your location.

This is a one-off expense. Buy the right antenna. You have been given good advice. I suggest that if you go out and get a $25 no-name antenna like the diji-whatever you'll eventually regret it.

Just aim your DB4e or 4228hd or even the 4221hd at Buffalo and your Buffalo channnels should all be there.

Johnysmoke's advice was assuming you cared about the Toronto stations. He suggested the rotator so you could get max reception from multiple directions. Don't worry, if you aim at Buffalo you'll get it. He might not have read that you're keeping your satellite and that you only want to add the Buffalo locals - that you already have the Canadian channels through satellite.

post #1011 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-04, 02:38 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

cableredneck, I think you missed our welcome notice to all new OTA Forum members. Click on the links in my signature (lower right of this post) to read the OTA FAQ and download the Antenna Chart. Do not waste your money on products that are not recommended. Also, along with HWP's and johnnysmoke's advice, be sure to read through this thread for people nearby so that you can see what has worked and hasn't worked in the past.
post #1012 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-05, 11:58 AM

Thank you. I did read the welcome thread. My TVfool results are in post 1002. I have narrowed the choice down to either a CM 4228 or Antennas Direct db4e. I have a satellite service that carries Detroit feeds, so I am after the Buffalo feeds for the US networks. The TO channels are covered. I have downloaded the OTA antenna chart, and have a printd copy.
post #1013 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-05, 12:48 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableredneck
Does any one know anything about Channel Master antennas?
I was pretty shocked to read that question of yours since we provide a ton of info on CM antennas here as well as which antennas to avoid... This is the correct thread for Burlington and you will find lots of posts by people in your area to see what works and what doesn't.

cheers
post #1014 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-06, 09:22 AM

I'll repeat for more clarification. From where I am, with a CM4228, S. Central Burlington, with the antenna aimed south, in the winter I can reliably pick up CW, MyTV, CBS, ABC, PBS and NBC. Not Fox. If I swing the antenna 10-15 West, I now get Fox, but NBC and CBS are breaking up or non existent and MyTV is in and out. The 8 bay has more gain, but it's more directional (hence having to swing the antenna via rotator). In the summer reception is much better. You may have an extra 10-20' of height over my location so it might not be an issue. Then again, these are real, repeatable results over 5 years. TVFool is theoretical modeling. Just saying....
post #1015 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-06, 09:38 AM
Corporate Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableredneck View Post
Thank you. I did read the welcome thread. My TVfool results are in post 1002. I have narrowed the choice down to either a CM 4228 or Antennas Direct db4e. I have a satellite service that carries Detroit feeds, so I am after the Buffalo feeds for the US networks. The TO channels are covered. I have downloaded the OTA antenna chart, and have a printd copy.
Wow I am salivating over the potential for you. Great location! You have lots of advice and I will chime in. If you are on a budget go with the 4 bay. If you want really good results go 8 bay with preamp (the 269 that HWP recommends only as it allows for high input) and a rotor. Compromise there 2 suggestions and you could even get good results with 8 bay pointed south east no rotor or amp.

60' Delhi tower,91XG,Y13-10,DB8,Tin Lee Traps,CM9521A,CM7777,CM7000,Winegard RC-1010 & HDA200,Samsung 32 LCD,2 WTV950Q

Twinntech supports Digital Home
post #1016 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-09, 09:04 AM
Rookie

newbie - no reception

Hi, I'm an OTA newbie. I bought a small non-amplified antenna a few months back just to see what OTA was all about. I got about 8 channels (Burlington, ON) and then swapped it for a small amplified unit instead I get about 12 channels - it's in a room that is on the second floor of the north-east corner of my home (near a window, closest corner to the CN Tower).

This past week I decided to take the plunge and bought a Channel Master DB8 and assembled it then decided to hook it up to the same tv where the small amplified indoor antenna is (so I set the DB8 up in doors, at a window on the second floor pointing towards the CN tower). I can't get any signals.

I'm using an LCD with a digital tuner built in and it won't even allow me to go to the digital antenna setup menu unless it finds OTA digital channels. I've tried pointing it in just about every direction and can't get a signal.

Should I be concerned that there is something wrong with the antenna or does this just indicate that the DB8 won't work in doors / without an amplifier? My concern is that a small indoor non-amplified antenna worked fine in the same room.
post #1017 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-09, 11:36 AM
HWP

Welcome to the forum.

Is your antenna a Channel Master 4228hd or an Antennas Direct DB8?

If you were getting channels on the little antenna, then you'll get at least the same channels on the big one.

I'd start troubleshooting with the way you assembled your antenna. I suspect that the signal is not getting into your TV. Loose connection or or missing connection something.

post #1018 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-11, 04:52 PM

How long (or high) should an antenna mast be?? Is it better to attach a mast to a chimney than a wall??
post #1019 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-11, 05:46 PM
HWP

There is a thread here about mounting antennas. You might want to ask there since there is a better chance that knowledgeable people might see your quiery.

post #1020 of 1293 (permalink) Old 2012-04-11, 09:20 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

cableredneck, please read about that topic/discuss it/ask about it in the OTA Mounts, Towers, Rigging Hardware thread. Everything you'll ever want to know about it is already in there.

Tags
antenna , merger , signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.