Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CBC cools on 3D

Tags
3dtv cbc
3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael R. 
#1 ·
There will be no 3D broadcasts of the Stanley Cup final this year and the CBC’s general manager of technology says he’s no longer as confident in broadcasting in three dimensions, due to the “exorbitant” cost and low viewership numbers.

Fred Mattocks still believes in 3D and was pleased how the CBC’s first two 3D hockey broadcasts turned out – although he admits they were somewhat buggy and very much live-to-air experiments.

But he says the massive costs to stage those productions and the poor ratings so far – “a small number,” is how he described the audience size – makes it untenable for the CBC to go gung-ho with 3D.

#2 ·
Uh - "CBC cools on 3D" and "But he says the massive costs to stage those productions and the poor ratings so far – “a small number,” is how he described the audience size – makes it untenable for the CBC to go gung-ho with 3D - indicate to me that they're not going with 3D or the foreseeable future. They experimented, now it's done.

#3 ·
This thread is about 3D broadcasts on CBC therefore posts ranting about OTA and digital transmitters have been removed.

#4 ·
Wasn't it a similar thing with HD once upon a time, like chicken and the egg. The broadcasters seem to not want to invest in the programming as there's not a big enough market out there to watch it. But the market doesn't want to spend the money on the equipment (TVs) until there's more programming available.

#5 ·
I don't think the CBC needs to lead the way, spending our tax dollars to make 3D more viable. They should be jumping in last.

Funny thing, I know I don't believe 3D will ever be viable for sports broadcasting. I don't see large groups of fans getting together and everyone having a pair of glasses. Maybe they should save it for movie theatre showings of the finals.

#6 ·
I agree with asif9t9. CBC would be better off waiting either for 3D to take off first or until another broadcaster lights the torch. They could spend their money in better places.

I personally don't see 3D taking off in mainstream broadcast viewing. I think it might have a more promising future in the gaming world. It can be quite impressive with gaming from what I've seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.