Hockey Night in Canada to show select games in 3D

23K views 75 replies 26 participants last post by  james99 
#1 ·
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/09/29/sp-hockey-night-panasonic.html

Hockey Night in Canada offers games in 3D
CBC, Panasonic Canada team to bring enhanced viewing experience
Last Updated: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 | 10:02 AM ET
By Doug Harrison, CBC Sports

Listen up, hockey fans and electronics aficionados: Hockey Night in Canada is going 3D.

And the best news is, you have time to search the market for a 3D television that will suit your needs.

The CBC and Panasonic Canada announced Wednesday they will bring the first 3D broadcast of HNIC to Canadian homes on Dec. 11 when the Toronto Maple Leafs host the Montreal Canadiens.

The second 3D broadcast available during the 2010-11 NHL season is scheduled for Feb. 20 at McMahon Stadium in Calgary when the Flames host the Canadiens in the Heritage Classic.

"We are very pleased to partner with Panasonic on this unique and ground-breaking initiative," Scott Moore, executive director for CBC Sports, said in a statement. "Together, we will be bringing an experience to Canadian hockey fans that has never been done before.

"This is a Canadian first and a very exciting time for television and hockey in Canada."
1st slate of games coming

Starting in October, Panasonic will be the official 3D and HD TV sponsor of HNIC.

Having worked closely with Hollywood to develop full HD 3D technology, Panasonic will help bring a new dimension to the HNIC broadcast.

"Panasonic is at the forefront of 3D innovation, leading the charge on developing technology for both industry professionals and everyday Canadians," said Ian Kilvert, general manager, corporate brand management for Panasonic Canada Inc.

"With our expertise and cutting-edge products, it makes sense to partner with the CBC to help bring the first-ever 3D hockey viewing experience into Canadian living rooms."

The first HNIC broadcast of the regular season is Oct. 7, featuring Montreal at Toronto at 7 p.m. ET and Calgary at Edmonton at 10 p.m. ET.

What channel can I watch the 3D broadcasts on?

Bell TV on channel 1933 (Satellite TV) and 1208 (Fibe TV)
www.bell.ca/tv

Shaw Direct on channel 233/ 333 (Classic/Advanced)
www.shawdirect.ca

TELUS Optik TV™ subscribers on channel 656, TELUS Satellite TV® subscribers on channel 1933
www.telus.com/tv

Vidéotron channel 800
www.videotron.com/service/tv

Contact your local television service provider for more information.

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't get this. To me this means it will air on Conventional CBC which I find very difficult to believe.

It would mean that 99% (all those without 3DTVs) of the population would not be able to watch the game.

#5 ·
Yeah I would imagine. The press release and article suggest it will be on the CBC which obviously it wouldn't

#7 ·
Scott Moore was on the Bill Watters show last week on AM640 (Toronto). He indicated that 3D production was very, very, expensive. Currently there are only three 3D mobile production units in all of North America, and jokingly (although I suppose he wasn't actually joking) stated that bidding wars are erupting for the units.

There is no way that CBC would not provided a distinctive feed for this event. Those two games are huge draws without 3D. It's up to the BDU's to distribute it to their customers as they see fit. OTA users would be out-of-luck for the 3D obviously (I'm not sure if any ATSC tuners even support it).

Edit: podcast with Scott Moore available here:
http://www.640toronto.com/HostsandShows/BillWatters/Audio.aspx

#8 ·
The 3D trucks are basically just modified HD trucks, with 3D cameras of course, I watched a feature about MSG doing an Isles/Rangers game in 3D last year, and it showed them switching some monitors out in a normal HD truck and putting some extra 3D gear in, because when you think about it, the only difference between the two is that with 3D you are sending two slightly different HD images as opposed to one.

#9 ·
because when you think about it, the only difference between the two is that with 3D you are sending two slightly different HD images as opposed to one
That depends on whether the broadcast truck is also providing a 2D feed using the same cameras. Likely it is. If it is, they also have to extract the 2D content out of the 3D content, and then encode the 3D layers MPEG-2/4/7 over the base 2D MPEG-2 layer if they are providing the providers one feed.

I can't see all that happening with standard HD equipment. That is likely why Scott Moore stated that there were only three 3D trucks in N.A.

Perhaps what you saw was for a 3D-only presentation?

And the best news is, you have time to search the market for a 3D television that will suit your needs.
Anyway, this is certainly not enough for myself (and I'm sure millions of others), to rush out and upgrade a TV set. Likely years away for my household.

#10 ·
Its a nice idea, but considering that we are talking about a publicly funded network, I don't agree with it. I think that the money could be much better used to offer more Canadiens and Senators regional games in HD. Airing the World Cup Final in 3D (where they could just pick up a FIFA produced feed) was one thing, but this seems like a waste of money.

#11 ·
HNIC: 3D tech being used, availability?

CBC in HD is going to be playing 3d with the old school glasses hockey and other content with the red and cyan glasses so thats a plus for us who have OTA and non 3d HDTV's. I see everytime there is a 3d broadcast over the air it always requires the red and cyan 3 dollar glasses, so it seems like their is no point to get those crazy expensive 3d tv's with expensive glasses and 4 3d movies. When Hockey night on CBC on my 1080p plasma will require the 3 dollar glasses that are old school it should still be a cool effect without spending so much on the other 3d. Also I ordered 4 3d analygraph glasses that are plastic for 20 bucks, and since lots of 3d content is still analygraph and not the other expensive 3d for OTA we get it free and the TV's and glasses are cheaper.

Also you think maybe the superbowl may be in analograph 3d this season for OTA, that would be epic.

#13 ·
CBC in HD is going to be playing 3d with the old school glasses hockey and other content with the red and cyan glasses so thats a plus for us who have OTA and non 3d HDTV's.
Where did you hear that that they will be using Complementary color anaglyphs? The articles I have read say the games will be sponsored by Panasonic to "get more 3D content for its eager early-adopter viewers," and "give a boost to the 3D TV industry." Also, it won't be available OTA as it will be shown on a separate channel from the regular HD broadcast.

see Hockey Night in Canada goes 3D for details.

#20 ·
Did anyone hear anything new about this ?

I'm really wondering how they will be able to broadcast this on digital cable or satellite, do any providers even have 3d capable receivers in Canada ?

I hope they do something we can get from a web feed like CBS did for the golf and tennis us open this year, you could use the nVidia 3d player to watch it. I only have OTA right now, but my tv does 3D.

#23 ·
I'm really wondering how they will be able to broadcast this on digital cable or satellite, do any providers even have 3d capable receivers in Canada ?
As discussed elsewhere, unlike 3D Blu-ray the technology currently used by broadcasters doesn't require special 3D capable receivers (a minor firmware upgrade is all that is needed to tell the TV it is a 3D channel). What they do is half the number of columns (or rows) and show the two images side by side. A conventional TV tuned to that channel will show both pictures (squished), but a 3D TV expand both of them and use them as the images for each eye.

#21 ·
Most providers that have carried 3D content in the past including Bell, Rogers and Shaw will be carrying.

I don't believe Videotron carried the 3D hockey game in March but will show this one.

Videotron announcement

On December 11, at 7:00 p.m., hockey fans will be able to watch the Montréal Canadiens / Toronto Maple Leafs game in 3D. Customers equipped with a 3D TV set will be able to see the game in Full 3D on channel 801.

To watch content in Full 3D, customers must use the glasses that came with their 3D television set and must have an HD set-top box. Customers who own a regular HD television set and HD set-top box can buy red/cyan 3D glasses to be able to watch anaglyph 3D. 3D glasses with plastic frames will be available starting November 19 at Videotron stores and counters. Until then, cardboard 3D glasses are available at Le Superclub Vidéotron locations.

#22 ·
Fine and dandy to be on cutting edge....but CBC?

CBC in our area gets their signal from Bell, not Digital, not Stereo. This would be good if CBC transmitted direct via satellite to everyone. They seem to be spending money on great things but the infrastructure is crumbling around them!

#24 ·
Why not CBC?

The reality is that this is likely paid for by Panasonic so its really not costing the CBC much but it generates some good publicity for the Hockey Night in Canada brand.

#25 ·
If the cost is being picked up by the 3D Camera/Equipment maker I have no problem with CBC doing 3D games and look forward to watching, which I'll be able to do through Bell I suspect.
And to get off topic for a moment to show why...
My problem is if they start buying new equipment for this without ever intending on updating the existing infrastructure to broadcast it, the CBC is not effectively bringing their programming to Canada anymore. The alternative to that is, and I hope that the CRTC who took over CBC regulatory job, will allow the "free satellite broadcasts" (SHAW Bell FreeHD) so CBC isn't wasting money (our money) on so much infrastructure.
I would like to see Canada on the cutting edge of technology, not lagging behind 3rd world countries.

#26 ·
This is getting off topic, but as said in other threads, CBC will be upgrading the primary transmitters for most of their originating stations (though they may not make the Aug 31, 2011 deadline). Repeaters will gradually be shut down.

As for a free skinny package the CRTC has approved this, but have not mandated BDUs to provide it.

Now back to HNIC in 3D.

#28 ·
This is great news if you own a new 3D TV.
You also have to have a capable receiver. For example, on Bell, they broadcast the new stereoscopic 3D only on their MPEG-4 capable receivers. For people like me using their 9200 receiver, I won't be able to see this, even though I have a capable TV.

#32 ·
details of Dec 11 game

Bruce Rainnie was on the local CBC morning show today with details about Saturday's game:

-It will be the first ever 3D hockey broadcast
-The 3D broadcast will be a separate production, using four cameras instead of the usual 11
-The camera angles will be lower with less cuts and closeups, to enhance the 3D experience
-The game will be shown live in select Empire Theatre locations... check your local listings
-Bruce Rainnie and Kelly Hrudey will host, Dean Brown will do PbP and either Gary Galley or Greg Millen (sorry, I forget which) will do colour

I would be tempted to see this on a big theatre screen in 3d!

It sounds like a completely supplemental production to the regular HNIC broadcast, which will likely be business as usual. CBC is aware that very few people will be able to watch in 3D. It sounds like Bruce and Kelly will handle the intermission duties too. Also, it seemed that instead of regular commercial breaks, you'd get Kelly and Bruce filling time, similar to what we got with PPV hockey.

#33 ·
So we won't get to see Don Cherry's suit in 3D as he rages about left wing pinkos? I'm disappointed. :D

This is pretty much the same way 3D broadcasts work on ESPN and Sky Sports too. ESPN does regular 3D college football broadcasts and Sky does regular 3D Premier League broadcasts. Both networks do completely seperate broadcasts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.