Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - heating costs-hydro vs propane
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 2011-01-21, 02:41 PM
jjyec

A couple of years ago I switched out an oil fired water heater which supplied a radiant floor and a hydronic air handler. At the time, oil was at an all time high and I calculated that a propane on-demand water heater (85% eff) would save me enough based on efficiency alone, since the oil heater very poor efficiency (50%), and propane seems to fluctuate less than oil. That year I was paying over $1 a litre for oil and I was getting quotes for propane in the high $.70 /l. Of course, the year after oil dropped significantly, so I'm not sure I ended up saving a whole lot.

In any case, for the past 6 years I've been tracking my energy usage from the time I was on oil to today and comparing the BTU used with other heating fuels.

Note that the statements below assume the following: Hydro (100% eff, COP =1) = $.1 /kwh off peak, $.15/kwh peak, propane efficiency approx %85.

I agree that the case for propane doesn't make sense when comparing with electricity. However, off-peak hydro is comparable to propane at $.60/l and much cheaper than the mid-winter propane prices (In January, I pay more than $.75/l). Peak hydro is way more expensive than any propane I ever paid for.

The key may be to get away from the mid-winter refueling at the high prices and take advantage of the time of use hydro prices. Summer has some of the lowest propane prices (approx $2.80 100Kbtu or lower) but it would require a pretty big tank to last the whole winter. A dual-fuel system, with hydro running during off-peak hours ($2.92/100kbtu), and switching to propane during peak times may extend that cheap propane just enough to skip the expensive refills.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome