CRTC slaps down application for new HD stations - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 03:43 PM

wow..so is that how the CRTC operates?

Anything in direct competition to what already has been proposed by our monopolistic media companies gets rejected..even if it doesnt even exist yet....
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 04:19 PM

A Canadian channel showing HD 24/7? Um, who could they possibly be competing with? Nobody does this. It's frustrating channel surfing some nights to find nothing in HD on Canadian channels.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 04:44 PM

Policy naming

Shouldn't this be called the "anti-competitive policy"?

So if you're competing with the Rogers/Bell oligopoly, you'll be turned away at the gate?

I thought the CRTC was run by the government, not the telco industry.

"This year I'll be voting, but not for the first time. This year, Stephen Harper can kiss my ***, then kiss Jim Prentice."
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 05:29 PM

Sometimes I really dislike living in Canada.

MT
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 05:53 PM

Cool Won't be the first time an application is denied for such reasons

Now had the applicants suggested an all Canadian content lineup, WELLLL
Now your getting somewhere.

The objecting networks and broadcasters would have had the objections overruled by the CRTC.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 06:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootherator View Post
wow..so is that how the CRTC operates?

Anything in direct competition to what already has been proposed by our monopolistic media companies gets rejected..even if it doesnt even exist yet....
Are you surprised? After the rejection of the well-though out application to operate a TV station in St. Catharines-Niagara Falls - by far the largest Canadian community to not have a TV station - it was quite clear that the CRTC doesn't possess much interest in anything except protecting monopolies.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 06:41 PM

Wow... The only thing missing from this story is a banner on the top saying it's "The Onion" web page. I don't even think they could make up something so ridiculous. God forbid Canadians be offered a choice. A competitive policy that forbids you from competing. Hmmm.. Only in Canada you say?? Pity.

Aquos LC42D64U Yamaha HTR6080 Emotiva XPA-5 Polk CSiA6 RTiA7's RTiA1's Velodyne DLS4000R Mot. 6416 III PS3 Harmony One
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 07:12 PM

So much for the notion that they were going to allow Canadian channels to compete against one another, as discussed at the hearing the CRTC had in April?! I guess that isn't happening any time soon. Still waiting for a stupid decision to come down regarding that hearing and the supposed rule changes that were going to be made. What happened to the 'market-oriented' approach they were going to take?!

I think its about damn time that the CRTC is overhauled and some major reforms take place. The only purpose this committee (or whatever the hell it is) should have is to monitor content on the airwaves so nothing offensive is aired or nothing harmful to children. Aside from that the only other potential issue that they might have a say over is Canadian content and ensure that we get some quality programs instead of the filler junk networks air now just to meet their CDN content requirements. The CRTC should not be involved in distribution and dictating to consumers what they can and cannot watch- that is up to the people via their wallets and what they want to pay to watch.

On another note, regarding the applications themselves- the reason they were denied is because they were too broad in scope. They just wanted to air movies in HD, had they made the nature of service more specific, its possible that they may have been approved.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 07:18 PM

nfitz: You beat me to it. I live in Niagara Falls and went to the CRTC hearing for TVN. There was huge local support for it and CHCH was nearly booed off stage whenever they said that they cover the Niagara Region. The reasoning behind TVN's rejection was equally ludicrous: The CRTC thought that the station would probably fail, so they weren't even allowed to try.

This latest decision is just further proof that the CRTC is looking out for big business, not for the Canadian people. I wish I could blame this on the Conservatives, but let's face it: the CRTC has always been like this no matter who's in office.

A day without sunshine is like... night.

There is an exception to every rule, including this one.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 07:24 PM

I've been saying these things for over 30 years! Yet they're still controlling what we watch and listen to.

_AL

Samsung LN-T4061F HD TV, Delhi VU-937sr W/ VU8PZ Power Zoom @ 50 ft. AGL, Sony XDR-F1HD Hi Def Radio tuner.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 08:31 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Angry

Quote:
I thought the CRTC was run by the government, not the telco industry.
In theory, yes, but in all practicality the people on the CRTC seem not to be independent of the BDUs. I believe some of the commissioners are ex-Rogers, ex-Bell.

A-D DB4e, CM 7778 9521, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 08:51 PM

hrmm, is there legislation that gives the CRTC the right to 'protect' this sort of operation from starting? If I tried to start 'Toronto HD' and SD stations, every local station would object on baseless grounds, but valid ones apparently!?!
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 09:06 PM

Please clarify, is this OTA or digital

Hugh, you said stations so the headline led me to believe OTA channels were being proposed but the article sounds like it's just another channel for satellite or digital cable.

Wasn't there a proposal from John Bitove a few months back to build an HD OTA network? Now that would have been nice.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 09:11 PM

Corporate Manipulation

...and the CRTC simply rolls over in bed with them. Can you spell corruption? Obviously High Fidelity TV although EXCELLENT programming is too good for Canadians GO FIGURE.

I think they should seek legal action they just got stuffed and the CRTC failed to support fair competition. Business & Government don't mix the CRTC just proved that today.

What BLATANT BONEHEAD BUREAUCRATIC BUNGLING. Is Canada a democracy or something else? Heavy handed and totally unrealistic decision the Commission has bowed to big business and that is NOT why we pay our taxes. Why should Bell be allowed to show HDTV.ca for YEARS and Rogers & Shaw customers still get the snub.

Completely absurd this wreaks of a cover up and corporate manipulation. THE CRTC was put in place for the benefit of the consumer not big business. I will be emailing my MLA and I strongly advise you do the same. This is a shameful, myopic decision that should be revoked or overturned IMMEDIATELY whatever it takes.

I am totally confounded how the CRTC can hand out this ruling with a straight face? It's like they have accepted a bribe because they have not acted on behalf of the consumer or the industry they are in the back pocket of big business that is all this proved today. SHAMEFUL Heads should roll.

Tags
crtc , hdtv , high fidelity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.