New Dish Network satellite fails to reach orbit - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-15, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-15, 11:47 AM
Member #1

So anybody know what impact it will have on the Dish Network?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-15, 11:51 AM
Veteran

Isn't this facility supposed to launch Nimiq 4 also? If so, this could mean delays!

-Mike

Pioneer PRO-110FD | Pioneer VSX-92TXH | BELL 9242 | Panasonic DMP-BD35 | XBOX 360 |WD TV Live Hub
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-15, 04:55 PM

Anomaly = Pooched!?

So does this mean Cheap Charlie gets his money back?
I don't suppose there any chance of getting it kicked into orbit?
If they used the station keeping thrusters, it might get to its' new home, but have a MUCH shortened life span.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-15, 05:00 PM

Satellites are usually insured to account for this kind of thing.

I haven't read if they will try to boost it or make it come down in a controlled fashion.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-15, 05:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
So anybody know what impact it will have on the Dish Network?
It means the extra HD channels promised for this year will be delayed.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-15, 05:56 PM
Veteran

AMC-14 is owned by SES Americom and was to be leased to Dish, so the financial loss is theirs. Even if they successfully boost it into the proper orbit, it will deplete most of the fuel and give it a much shorter life span. I would imagine SES Americom needs to get the full life for it to be profitable. My guess it will be scrapped so they can collect the insurance.

I sure hope things go better for Nimiq 4!

-Mike

Pioneer PRO-110FD | Pioneer VSX-92TXH | BELL 9242 | Panasonic DMP-BD35 | XBOX 360 |WD TV Live Hub
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-16, 09:11 AM
Veteran

This is the second failure of the Breeze-M stage in a few months. If Nimiq 4 is going up on the Proton with that stage, I'd be really worried. ILS will be out of action for months while they figure out what went wrong so delays are inevitable.

AMC-14 is in a highly elliptical orbit now and I doubt it will be realistic to use the moon and onboard fuel to move it. My guess is they scuttle it and collect the insurance.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-16, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

I haven't read if they will try to boost it or make it come down in a controlled fashion.
The US is hoping it will come down in a "controlled fashion" so they can do some more target practice
Borat Sagdiyev, head of the Kazakhstan Make Satellite To Space Center was quoted as saying "Gypsy is reason for satellite no work, don't worry, Nimiq 4 is go alright for make ExpressVu CRUSH evil cable companies with only most FULL HD's, HIGH FIVE"
Rumours are swirling that this may have been Borat's LAST launch...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-16, 10:17 AM
Veteran

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 10:06 AM

That's what happens when you contract out to foreigners. Trying to save a buck doesn't work. Insurance or not, that only hurts everyone else.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 10:11 AM

I don't follow that satellite business that closely but are there even any North American options now?

AFAIK the Shuttle is fully booked for space station missions to the end of its service life and any satellites it launches are likely to be military.

That leaves the Europeans (Ariane) and the Russians.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 10:11 AM
Member #1

Thanks for that enlightened comment videobruce. Now can we get back to topic.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 10:27 AM
Q
Veteran

from the link peano posted.

ILS is the firm responsible for commercially marketing the Proton rocket to international customers. The U.S.-based company is jointly owned by Space Transport Inc. and Khrunichev, the Russian manufacturer of the Proton rocket and Breeze M upper stage.

now back on topic.

From the article I read they have two options. Let the satellite de-orbit and collect insurance. Try some type of lunar gravity slingshot to achieve geosynchronous orbit.

I don't understand how they can do a moon slingshot but thats why I am not a rocket scientist. I would think it would need a lot of fuel. Which if they have.....why not just move the extra few thousand miles needed?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 11:07 AM
Veteran

They have to use the on board fuel to move it, and that would decrease the lifespan of the satellite considerably. A better option for Dish customers, but not necessarily the best financial option. Personally I hope they try to save it. I might be a Dish customer some day!

-Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.