CBC-HD Official Thread (No Hockey) - Page 58 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #856 of 978 (permalink) Old 2009-10-05, 11:52 AM

Hi, I have also experienced the time being 1 hour out on my LG tv. It was only on CBC Ottawa and only when I had the DST setting on my tv set to "automatic" . I switched to "manual" and the time lined up with the other channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #857 of 978 (permalink) Old 2009-10-09, 06:58 PM

CBC Montreal Psip..

Why , when i'm watching CBC news at 5, the PSIP is showing me:
CBC NEWS: TORONTO !!

can it be corrected ? please...
post #858 of 978 (permalink) Old 2009-10-09, 08:07 PM

It cannot be changed right now. The data for all HD stations comes from a single PSIP generator which is fed by a third party.

A major overhaul of the distribution system is just starting. When it's done, the data will come from our automation system in real time with separate PSIP streams for each station.

CBC English Radio, TV and web streaming.

post #859 of 978 (permalink) Old 2009-10-12, 11:25 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
A major overhaul of the distribution system is just starting. When it's done, the data will come from our automation system in real time with separate PSIP streams for each station.
That is great news! What sort of time frame are we looking at for this overhaul?
post #860 of 978 (permalink) Old 2009-10-12, 12:09 PM

It's a series of projects with a target of 2011. It's about replacing equipment that is at or beyond support limits (1992 vintage). The automation update will enable active PSIP, but I can't say exactly when it will come online.
Note: I am referring to the in plant presentation system (server, router, automation) not HD over air transmitters.

post #861 of 978 (permalink) Old 2009-10-27, 11:41 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi Marc, could you please comment on these posts:

OTA Station Status: Toronto, Hamilton (Closed - use 2011) (Post #1113 and replies)

cheers
post #862 of 978 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 02:14 PM
Member #1

Lots of posts deleted. topic of the thread is CBC-HD Official Thread (No Hockey).

This thread is not for discuss picture quality on Shaw or the picture quality of Global HD and CTV HD.
post #863 of 978 (permalink) Old 2009-12-29, 11:47 PM

I have not been watching CBC for a very long time. However the last few days I tuned in to check it and I noticed they have reverted to the standard CBC watermark, rather than the previously used 'HD' logo.
I also noticed there has been nearly zero HD progress (other then new studio for the 'National') towards HD improvement in last few years. Still, the entire 24 hours a day all promos and everything between the programmes remains in 4:3, with those ugly black bars.
Also, some of the widescreen programmes like financial news shows have such a terrible picture quality, which makes it almost unwatchable.
As I understand CBC may not be willing to invest in upgrading in studios and cameras towards HD at this point, but I wonder why the 'National' cameras are just sitting unused all day long, while they use the old ones for producing other shows. Would it really be so difficult to combine those.

Also, now that CBC HD is carried by Comcast in Seattle, it's becoming a bit embarrassing with all this content.

I still believe that the only reason CBC ever even launched the Newsworld in HD was that they were becoming embarrassed with French CBC HD progress, leaving the English CBC in dust, while being publicly funded just the same.
post #864 of 978 (permalink) Old 2009-12-30, 08:50 AM

Running HD commercials will remain an issue until our 1990's vintage automation system is upgraded as part of a larger project. The entire project will be done by 2011.
The conversion to HD is ongoing. Here's a rundown of what is SD/WS/HD: HDSchedule December 7, 2009.pdf The blanks are SD 4:3.

post #865 of 978 (permalink) Old 2009-12-31, 12:23 PM

Marc,
Is that PDF schedule available weekly anywhere on the CBC website or elsewhere? The regular schedule indicates HD but there's nothing to say what shows are anamorphic. A weekly version of this chart would be useful.
post #866 of 978 (permalink) Old 2009-12-31, 01:36 PM

To my knowledge, that information is not available on the website. I'll pass your comments on to the appropriate people.

post #867 of 978 (permalink) Old 2010-01-02, 04:30 AM

What I don't understand is that CBC is getting WORSE in HD programming recently! Most of CBC Sports are not real HD, including hockey, figure skates, soccer, etc. Some of them are like WS SD while others are a bit better like upconverting 720p to 1080i. This includes original programming like Battle of the Blades. Even last week's Championship Figure Skating in Tokyo coverage were in better HD PQ than Figure Skating events in Canada.

Besides CBC Sports, movies and specials are getting worse. I mean the same movie or special presentation broadcasted one year ago in real HD is now in bad HD. Take Cirque Du Soleil Kooza for example. One year ago it was shown in real HD. Last week, it was shown in WS SD.

And I've been talking about OTA, which always has better PQ than Shaw's feed regardless of programming, while other local stations have identical PQ with Shaw and OTA. Somebody mentioned bad PQ with CBC HD on another TV provider as well. It's like when other local stations are moving forward with HD, CBC is moving backward.
post #868 of 978 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 06:25 PM

CBC New Logo (Opaque)

I just wanted to voice my displeasure at the CBC News logo that is being used currently. (Both on their 5:00pm new and on their CBC news network)
It is a red CBC sign on a white background (rather large) and it's causing image retention on my plasma (which has been calibrated).
I wish they would make it transparent. Anyone else having this issue?
Oh, and then there's the "Toronto at 5" logo which is just as painful.
post #869 of 978 (permalink) Old 2010-09-27, 11:53 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Hi Marc, are there any updates on this project? Last I heard the target date is 2011. Is that still the case? If so, any idea when in 2011?

Can you also provide more details about how the data will be affected by last minute schedule changes (for example if there is a special news report or a live program runs overtime). One situation that I am especially curious about is if there is an "Special Overtime Edition" of The National squeezed into the intermission. Will it be labeled as a separate program? If so, it could really mess up a PVR.
post #870 of 978 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 07:22 PM

It still baffles me why networks continue to use bugs. The CBC hit bottom,in my opinion, this morning with their coverage of the opening ceremonies at the Commowealth Games. One bug on the left of the screen told us it was live and the other bug on the right side of the screen identified the CBC. As for the ceremonies....colourfull and exciting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.