CBC-HD Official Thread (No Hockey) - Page 48 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #706 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-03-22, 01:26 PM

After spending the last few days watching the WFSC I determined that the picture is not true HDTV, but excellent Widescreen ... much better than usual (there is too much "shadowing" around the lettering on the boards to be HD). It is possible that converting widescreen PAL results in the better PQ. The widescreen taped highlights of Canadians on the other hand looked terrible. I still think the CBC studio portion is HD.

WOW TV is here! NTSC RIP!
Shaw Direct/Bell TV/Telus Optik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #707 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-03-24, 02:42 AM

Comparing the PQ of CBC with ABC (WFSC broadcast on Saturday), ABC was definitely superior ... it was true HD. Also, unlike CBC they had HD cameras for their in the rink on-screen commentator pieces. CBC still needs to step it up a notch when it comes to HD!

WOW TV is here! NTSC RIP!
Shaw Direct/Bell TV/Telus Optik
post #708 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-03-28, 05:49 PM

I was watching Radio Canada which is the french CBC, and man do there talk shows look top notch HD! They hardly play anything on that channel in HD except for talk shows. As for CBC HD The quality of there ice camera's suck. So happy I have RDS HD to bring me the habs games in REAL Hd lol
post #709 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-03-31, 01:25 PM

Torchwood?

Sorry I know Torchwood is mentioned somewhere in this thread (the search engine results turned it up), but I don't have the patience to go through 48 pages.

Does anyone know if/when the series will be getting rebroadcast on CBC-HD? I checked the CBC site and they had the show info but no dates attached to anything.

I noticed the program show up in the HDNET guide but this is only the US version. When the guide info is more than a week out we get the US HDNET guide info but as the day draws closer Torchwood disappears from the listings. I'm hoping to be able to catch it in HD glory on CBC. Don't know if there is a season 2 upcoming but hopefully they start showing it again from season 1. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it...

Thanks
post #710 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-03-31, 03:45 PM

Torchwood is not returning.
Dr. Who season 4 will be on in the fall.

CBC English Radio, TV and web streaming.
post #711 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-03-31, 04:55 PM
Veteran

Location: Victoria, BC (on Shaw TV & Internet, Telus home phone, Bell mobile)
Torchwood season 2 has already played in other markets (final episode next week). If it really is not coming back to CBC then you can find both season 1 & 2 on the 'net.

Mike / technut
post #712 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-03-31, 08:10 PM

Mark, would you know when The Tudors may be returning?

Also just a note from last night.
At 19.00 h there was Geologic Journey. The scheduled episode was "The Appalachians" but the aired was "The Rockies". I was just trying to confirm this, but cbc.ca schedule did not work a moment ago.
(it's just a note; there is no way I would ever complain about this, as it is better than anything SD on programme).
Also last night there was "The Trojan Horse" at 20.00 h, the PSIP indicated TVMA rating for it. Now I assume it is American-made thing and you can only choose from among US-formats, but I can't remember what was indicated at start of the movie (was it 14+ or actually 18+). I did not even see rating logo after 21.00 - at the start of second hour of it.
Also, at my end at 21.00 h (local) picture froze for about 1 minute. Don't know if this was a source problem. I tend not to report things like this due to my unconventional means of reception (PC) but this time it seemed not caused on my end.
post #713 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-03-31, 09:08 PM
Veteran

Mark: Torchwood season 1 isn't returning - or do you mean Season 2?
post #714 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-04-01, 01:37 AM

Tonight again, on CBUT-DT at 21.00 h sharp (midnight Toronto) picture froze for almost a minute, during which watermark closed and 14+ symbol opened on it. This is definitely source problem.
I missed short beginning of the 'Border'.
post #715 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-04-01, 06:12 AM

I'm told Torchwood is gone altogether.

post #716 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-04-01, 10:04 AM

VBC1, The Tudors will be back, probably in October. The video server for CBUT-DT was acting up last night.
You have more questions/comments than I have time at the moment. I'm not complaining, I'm just explaining why some will go unanswered.

post #717 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-04-01, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Marc, we thank you for the feedback that you do have time to provide and understand when you are not able to respond.

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #718 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 03:35 PM

Thank you Mark for all your answers until now. I and, I'm sure, all of us here do appreciate it very much.
Thanks to it, we had a great level of appreciation for CBC in general. This kind of approach was unmatched by any of the other stations, making them look like they don't care. We only seem to have a healthy relationship with CBC.
For example, CTV always makes a bunch of errors, but nobody there seems to care for any user input similar to this.
I tend to report things here I see just to make sure that possible error or problems would not go unnoticed, and therefore repeat in future, just as a part of general quality assurance. Sorry if it ever sounded like a real complaint.
post #719 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-04-09, 02:26 PM

HD Commercials

Some time ago someone asked when we are going to see HD commercials on CBC. Starting with tonight's hockey playoffs, there will be some. It will certainly be very few. We are starting with baby steps.

post #720 of 978 (permalink) Old 2008-04-14, 02:50 AM

Great to hear

After reading the post, I tuned in 3-4 times waiting to see any HD commercial, but I guess I was not lucky and didn't catch any. I will look for them in future (I tend to skip SD commercials mostly).
I was wondering if HD commercials need to be attached to start/end of the block to function more easily, or they can be in the middle of the commercial block, with no difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.