Global News NB / NS Moving to Toronto - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

• 1 Post By David1953
  • 1 Post By Dr.Dave
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Global News NB / NS Moving to Toronto

Global moves Maritimes anchor desk from Halifax to Toronto | The Chronicle Herald

Global News lays off camera operators, Maritime newscast to be hosted in Toronto - Nova Scotia - CBC News

And so it begins - thought that CTV would be doing this first with Kitchener, London, Barrie, and other small markets in Ontario, but Global jumped first in moving "local" news to Toronto.

Feel bad for those in the Maritimes - hopefully CBC will stick it out on the taxpayer's dime.

Thought it was odd when Vassy Kapelos jumped from Global to CBC yesterday, but Shaw/Corus must be really in trouble.

Interestingly, Global is expanding (online) in Ontario to CTV/Bell markets that I mentioned above that seem to struggle with news...
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 10:10 AM
I haven't been able to find the latest Atlantic Canada TV ratings for suppertime news programs, but anecdotally I can tell you that CTV has the vast majority of suppertime news viewers, with CBC far behind (maybe 28 %), and Global not even considered by most NS viewers. In NL, CBC would be almost 50 -50 with NTV, but NTV is a combination of Global and CTV. PEI and NB has more CBC suppertime news viewers than NS does, but again, Global would not be anymore than (I'm going out on a limb here.. ha ha) 5%. If you can find the actual figures, please post them here, because I am interested to see how close my predictions are:
For NS I would say, CTV 70%, CBC 28%, Global 2%.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 10:34 AM
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
I honestly cannot say when was the last time that I tuned into Global for the evening news. I almost always watch CTV, with a rare glance at CBC.
NovaMan likes this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
Thought it was odd when Vassy Kapelos jumped from Global to CBC yesterday, but Shaw/Corus must be really in trouble.
I had to look that up. It looks like a smart career move - she's going from half an hour, once a week on Global to 2 hours, 5 days a week as the host of Power and Politics on CBC News Network.
Inglewood likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 04:55 PM
If there's any wonder why the quality of news coming from Rogers/Bell/Shaw is constantly deteriorating, just look at job descriptions on "new" openings related to Global's latest restructuring. Here's a beauty.
What We Need From You:
  • College or university degree (or equivalent experience), preferably in Journalism.
Oh, so it's only "preferable" for a journalist to know anything about journalism, eh?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 05:06 PM
If I recall correctly we had Global switch the Okanagan news to Toronto on weekends? It was an absolute Joke. Especially the anchor they employed and the lack of knowledge or it seems even interest in what they were doing. Guess they thought they were dealing with "hicks". It got reversed pretty quickly
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 08:33 PM
In Regina and Saskatoon, Global moved the 10 PM weeknight newscast, and the news on weekends, to Toronto a couple of years ago. All we have left that is produced locally, is the 6 PM news on weeknights, and even that was cut to only 30 minutes. The quality of the Toronto newscasts is laughable - even after two years, the anchors still can't pronounce our place names correctly... and the weather guy will say "and now, a look at your current conditions through our Skytracker camera", and even though it's 10:30 PM and it's been dark outside for hours, the sun is shining on their "current" picture!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.