Canadian Media Bashing Tim Hortons - No Other Minimum Wage Companies - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Canadian Media Bashing Tim Hortons - No Other Minimum Wage Companies

Is it just me, or is it very odd that the Ontario and National media is fixated on just Tim Hortons when it comes to some franchises cutting benefits to employees after the minimum wage went up to $14 in Ontario?

What about all the other franchises of other companies, or corporations that have a large minimum wage workforce that don't get any benefits? Or the Tim Hortons franchise owners who continue to give good benefits to there employees and now have protestors in front of them because of the media attention?

I haven't seen one story on any restaurant chain, or any other big company that pays minimum wage other then Tim Hortons.

Did Tim Hortons cut there advertising budget or something with these media outlets?

I know many people who work at other franchises and companies that make minimum wage and before 2018 they had no benefits, and continue to have no benefits - what makes Tim Hortons so special that protestors are fighting for benefits for their employees, but not the McDonalds, Harveys, Wendys, A&W, etc employees who never got anything?
denben73 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 11:40 AM
Veteran

I think a big part of the story is the location where this started is owned by billionaires, who think it's OK to deny their workers a living wage. The problem is not just at Timmies, but they're certainly getting some well deserved attention over this. As mentioned in the news, when the new owners took over the chain, they started doing thing that hurt the franchises. This is just one example.

Also, I have a real problem with businesses that think they have a right to force their employees onto poverty wages. My position is if they can't run their business without poverty wages, then they don't have a viable business. By paying poverty wages, they're forcing the employees to subsidize the business, instead of charging the customers the real cost of their purchases.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 01:00 PM
Veteran

I stopped going to Tim's when they started burning the coffee and freezing downsized donuts. It seems like nobody else caught on. I was recently persuaded into getting lunch there. Ended up with one of the worst sandwiches I've ever had.

What happened at Tim's is the current return to 19th century mentality where the only goal of businesses is to make the owners super rich. One result can be seeing employees as overhead that must be overworked, reduced or eliminated, even if it results in personal abuse, injury and loss of life. Current employment terms such as denying a living wage or forcing people to work as contractors is a de facto return in indentured servitude since the widespread use of such practices are often leaving people with little choice. Another result is treating customers as sources of revenue that must be deceived and cheated in order to extract the most money at minimal cost. It's called the "new economy" but it's really very old. It has been repeated throughout history by people who amassed personal wealth and political power. Welcome to the 21st century and rule by plutocracy, it's turning into the 19th century but with better technology for the wealthy.
kcbrk32 and gzink like this.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

My frustration is that if people care that those working for minimum wage, including Premier Wynne, want to ensure they still get benefits, why not fight for the rights of everyone, not just Tim Hortons employees, to have the same rights?

What is stopping the Premier from enacting legislation for a provincial benefits plan for low wage earners that covers basic dental, and prescriptions for those over 25?

What is stopping everyone getting paid breaks?

Instead of fighting random franchise owners of Tim Hortons, fight the entire system if that is your goal.

The Premier tweeting that she would fight for Tim Hortons employees is nonsense, when she should be fighting for all low income employees in Ontario.

There are a lot worse jobs in the province, and across Canada that pay minimum wage then working in a Tim Hortons restaurant. There are a lot of jobs that pay less than minimum wage (forced independent contractors, temporary services) that also don't even get government benefits like EI.

If you want to fight for minimum wage benefit rights, go to your MPPs office, your MPs office, Queen's Park or Parliament Hill - not your local Tim Hortons.

Just saw about a dozen people at lunch protesting Tim Hortons in front of the restaurant by my office. They weren't protesting any other fast food restaurant on the same strip, none of the gas stations that pay minimum wage, or any other business.

I think the re-heated frozen food at Tim Hortons has frozen some peoples brains.
gzink likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 04:49 PM
Veteran

The premier of Ontario called out Tim Hortons because she wanted to DISTRACT the public from the real problem, her government introducing the increase in the first place. The increase itself is not the problem, the problem is how the government shoved the increse all in one shot instead of gradually over a period of time so businesses can cope with it and plan a little better.

Before the news of Tim Horton's cutting breaks and benefits, everyone was complaining about the government and how they did not properly consult small businesses for feedback and suggestions. Another thing about tim horton's is a lot of their costs are fixed and set by the head office, only the cost of wages is not fixed but they cant increase prices of their goods to help offset some of it. give them a break if its anyone u need to complain to, make it Kathleen Wynne

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 05:12 PM
Veteran

I think a lot of individuals are missing the point here.

First off its not all Tim Horton's franchises that are doing this it some not all in Ontario.

Second the franchises are not doing anything wrong(don't agree what there doing)but it not against the law.

Companies don't have to give anyone payed breaks or lunches or other benefits unless either they(the company)want to or if by union contracts.

Yes its not right what certain Tim Horton's franchises did, but after all this is a Company and we do live in Captilist country.

Don't fget me wrong I don't think it was right what they did, and I feel sorry for those employees, but could of been worst?

They could of left the way it was and layedff way more employees and make others that still had their job work harder.

This pay hike won't help those who work for min wage, All it will do is raise prices and there back to where they started.

The issue here is what is consider a proper work enviroment(works wages and sort of stuff) vs Company/Franchises/Corperate profits/margines?

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 05:34 PM
Veteran

I thought everyone was entitled to work breaks by law. It was 10 minutes paid after 2 hours of work with another at two hours after each meal break. Meal breaks were every 4 hours but unpaid. Employment standards for Ontario workers took a big nosedive about 20 years ago so it may have changed. Most part time workers and many full time workers get no extra benefits. The owners of Tim's just have no head for public relations and an incredibly bad sense of timing.

Canada's workers should not need extra health care coverage from their employer. Canada remains as one of the few developed countries that have little or no no public dental care, eye care or prescription medicine coverage for it's citizens. There are some provincial plans but they are poorly run and don't cover a lot of drugs and procedures. People getting routine outpatient care at hospitals end up paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for related procedures, medicines and prosthetics that are not covered. Canadian governments have been clawing back coverage, such as eye examinations and other routine procedure coverage for the last 20 years while other countries have been adding coverage. It affects part time workers, the disabled and the working poor the most since highly paid workers usually have health care benefits included. Even the tax system discriminates against poor taxpayers since employer health benefits are not taxed while people who pay their own healthcare bills only get partial tax deductions. If we lived in Europe or even Brazil, minimum wage employees wouldn't need extra health coverage.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 06:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Second the franchises are not doing anything wrong(don't agree what there doing)but it not against the law.
At some locations, employees were told to put tips into the till. That is illegal. A business can ban tips, but they cannot take them from an employee.
Tridus likes this.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 06:13 PM
Veteran

Yes that's true and it up to the employees to not putrthe tips in the til without getting fired in doing so.

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-12, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
I thought everyone was entitled to work breaks by law. It was 10 minutes paid after 2 hours of work with another at two hours after each meal break. Meal breaks were every 4 hours but unpaid. Employment standards for Ontario workers took a big nosedive about 20 years ago so it may have changed. Most part time workers and many full time workers get no extra benefits. The owners of Tim's just have no head for public relations and an incredibly bad sense of timing.

---
I thought that NB had the same thing but the Occupational Health and Safety Act says "An employer shall allow an employee at least one-half hour for food and rest after each five consecutive hours of work." Nothing about 10 or 15 minutes breaks or about it being paid.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-12, 08:57 AM
Veteran

Pretty sure it's up to management to actually follow the law on tips, instead of knowingly breaking it and hoping their workers are ignorant of their rights (as the working poor sadly often are). Then again, business ethics in this country don't really exist anymore. Management types pretty much exist to screw over everyone as much as possible to enrich themselves, and only backtrack when the media causes a problem for them. Kathleen Wynne's ridiculous attempt to save her own job after years of screwups by suddenly doing this doesn't excuse bad behavior by management.

This issue is pretty simple: a couple of people who inherited lots of money decided to screw over their workers at a store that markets itself as iconically Canadian. That's ratings. The media is a business, and ratings equal money. Of course they're going to cover that. You think they'd get the same ratings if they spent a couple of weeks surveying every other restraurant and coming up with a comprehensive report? Most of the public doesn't have the attention span for that.

(Incidentally, an employer is required to offer a paid lunch break if an employee isn't allowed to leave the premises during said break.)
gzink likes this.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-12, 09:02 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
This pay hike won't help those who work for min wage, All it will do is raise prices and there back to where they started.
This is definitely false according to the data. Prices have been going up for years without any change in the minimum wage, both to boost profit margins and because wages are only part of the costs to operate a business like this. That'll keep happening if wages follow suit or not.
emmy1500 likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-12, 09:38 AM
Veteran

One can only hope other minimum wage employers are taking note of this situation. According to what I heard on the news recently, someone is setting up a web site, where people can name companies that are trying to do similar. It's a sad day, when it's necessary to shame employers into treating their employees properly.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-12, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
I stopped going to Tim's when they started burning the coffee and freezing downsized donuts. It seems like nobody else caught on. I was recently persuaded into getting lunch there. Ended up with one of the worst sandwiches I've ever had.
Same. Although I often found their coffee too cool in temperature. Also their lunch offerings are high in sodium. The problems at Tim Horton's pre-date this recent wage issue. And I too can't understand how these issues have not had an impact on their sales.

Years ago I dated someone who was high up in management at Tim Horton's, which gave me some insight into the staggering amount of money these locations bring in. And this is the likely reason the media has focused on them.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-12, 03:33 PM
Veteran

Prices are not related to wages and related labour costs anywhere near as much as they once were. Automation and self serve have changed that. These days, prices are driven by the need to reward company owners or investors and keep stock prices and company valuations high. Most companies want to be the next Apple, with $200 in cash and securities sitting in overseas tax havens. That's what is driving up prices and driving down employment benefits. Prices typically have very little relation to actual costs. There are exceptions to that, of course, in the few remaining industries that are very labour intensive or very price sensitive. Those companies are not topping out the NYSE or even the TSE though.
Tridus and faston like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.