Canadian Media Bashing Tim Hortons - No Other Minimum Wage Companies - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-13, 11:09 AM
Veteran

I think that all levels of government in Canada are working very hard to to make life harder for business.
We have big companies leaving Canada for Mexico or USA. Now we are going to have small businesses going bankrupt.
I am all for minimum wage going up gradually but not over 20% at once.
A lot of comments here are against small business owners. I feel that these comments belong more in Cuban forum not in Canadian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-13, 12:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I think that all levels of government in Canada are working very hard to to make life harder for business. We have big companies leaving Canada for Mexico or USA.
Typical right wing rhetoric. The needs of business must be balanced with the needs of a country's citizens. Even China realizes that. If you want to live in a country that puts big businesses ahead of its citizens, go live in a Mexican border slum or a US inner city slum for a few years and then get back to me.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-13, 01:32 PM
Veteran

I did not say that but big business is what provides good jobs and prosperity not governments.
Maybe you should live in Venezuela where government runs country inline with your views.

Last edited by bev fan; 2018-01-13 at 02:04 PM.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-13, 05:20 PM
Veteran

Yes big biz/small biz provide jobs for individuals and profit is the bottom line for companies and making a decent wage is for workers so you can provide for yourself & family.

The thing where issues differ is what is consider a decent profit margin(without being considered "Greedy") vs what's consoder a decent living?

Depending on how one views each side, there could be numerous different opions on that subject.

One's profit margin in one companies view could be extreme, while in another's company could be moderate.

Same goes for individuals working, you have some out there that want it all, the "Toys" & high price living, while you have others out that are happy with an average life enough to pay bills,morage,rent and have some left over for some fun here and there.

Its not my place to judge corporate "Greed" or individuals person "life styles expenses" each to there own.

Yes a company is intiled to make money or a individual is to decent wage.

The catch here is how do you decide on which side is right?

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour

Last edited by MCIBUS; 2018-01-13 at 05:55 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-13, 06:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I did not say that but big business is what provides good jobs and prosperity not governments.
Like when Royal Bank and Imperial Oil, among others laid off Canadians to make room for temporary foreign workers, who were only supposed to be hired when there were no Canadians available. Or how Sears recently closed up, leaving former employees without their pensions? That's what you mean? What about Garlan Weston complaining that the higher minimum wage would cut into profits. BTW, he's the 2nd richest person in the country. The list goes on and on...
Tridus likes this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-14, 04:49 AM
Veteran

...... Balance is key and fairness and I don't see our governments , even though majority governments, getting it done properly.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-14, 11:15 PM
Veteran

I have been a small business owner since early 2000's and I agree with many on here, it's all about balance. A business must be profitable, but at the same time, a Profitable business should be able to pay decent wages to their employees. I employ a caregiver/nanny for my young children and the increase in the minimum wage comes out of MY pocket to pay her, and since it me paying a caregiver as an employee I do not earn an income from this business, the only income I make is from my full time job. But I am okay with that and I have agree'd to paying her in accordance with the law. I can understand how a small business will be affected by this because I also did consulting work in the past as a small business owner and I know about business earnings take away wages and expenses and what ever is left is either profit or in the negative depending on how hard you strive. and I also do know that a lot of franchises out there have a lot of things like set prices which they can not touch its set by the head office and will definitely cause an impact on their profits. As a small business owner for the first years I never made money I was in the red, but started to make money after wards so yea it depends on your action plan

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-15, 08:39 AM
Veteran

Personally I agree with new minimum wage of $15 but it should have been done gradually maybe one dollar a year increases so it would not put so much burden on small businesses.
The liberal government had not done anything for years and now just before the election they drastically increase the wages. The only concern they have is getting reelected and nothing else.
Tridus likes this.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-15, 09:42 AM
Veteran

Jacking up the minimum wage this fast is a price shock to the market, that's the problem. It wasn't all done in one go because it makes the most sense to do that. It was done because Kathleen Wynne is the least popular premier in the history of polling in Canada and is desperate to buy people off to keep power.

That's also why we got a hydro rate reduction that amounts to "change the borrowing terms so we get a discount now and our kids will pay for it plus interest later." And hey, people fall for it, because people are dumb.

We do need a minimum wage hike because two people working full time at minimum wage is barely enough to afford a place to live and food, and that's a problem. But you don't do that by doing a massive bump overnight. That was done for political expediency and nothing more.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-15, 10:01 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Personally I agree with new minimum wage of $15 but it should have been done gradually maybe one dollar a year increases so it would not put so much burden on small businesses.
Yep, it should have been done gradually, over the past several years. Many years ago, full time, minimum wage was above the poverty line. Now it's below. This doesn't even come close to catch up. It's high time companies charged the real price, instead of expecting the employees to subsidize them. Also, since this affects competitors too, any talk about being unable to raise prices due to losing customers to competition is nonsense. If you're been following the news about similar minimum wage hikes in Alberta and Seattle, you'd have learned the claimed problems generally did not occur.

Since the days of Reaganomics, we've had a situation where there have been massive tax cuts for business and the wealthy, along with significant cost cutting, resulting in a significant decline in the standard of living. That trend has to be reversed, so that we don't keep driving more & more of the population into poverty, while the wealthy get wealthier.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-01-15, 04:18 PM
Veteran

The recent minimum wage hike just before an election is a blatant abuse of political power. I should have been rolled out more gradually and methodically over time. That's Ontario politics in a nutshell. Just buy votes with taxpayers own money and give them the bill after the election.

I keep reading about the opposite situation in the US. There are very low minimum wages in much of the US and employers take advantage of it. There are employees of huge corporations that make huge profits who must depend on food banks and subsidized housing to make ends meet. Now, the government is cutting funding for those programs in order to pay for corporate tax cuts. Where does it leave them? I read a story recently where thousands families who lost their homes and jobs in US hurricanes last year will soon be homeless due to FEMA budget cuts. There are even people who live in the parking lots of high tech corporations because high wages for tech workers have priced housing out of the reach of people who perform low skilled tasks at those same companies. Where does it end?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.