Super Channel to launch eSports (video game) channel - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-02-15, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Super Channel to launch eSports (video game) channel

First 24-hour eSports Channel to Launch in Canada

Premium Canadian broadcaster Super Channel and leading international entertainment provider GINX eSportsTV have signed an exclusive deal to create and distribute a new 24-hour channel for video game fans.

The new eSports channel will target millions of gaming enthusiasts and players in Canada and feature live eSports events, news and gaming lifestyle programming.

"This exciting new venture allows us to welcome Canadian viewers into the fast growing international 'realm' of GINX eSportsTV. Together with Super Channel we have the right combination of reach, relationships and local programming to create a channel that will bring the best of global eSports to Canada and equally to enrich our international channels with programming from the vibrant Canadian eSports community," said GINX eSportsTV CEO Michiel Bakker. "Canada has long been in our sights. It consistently represents a global top 10 eSports nation and is home to great eSports competitions and competitors. We are over the moon to soon be able to reach out to them."

This new eSports channel will be part of Super Channel's four multiplexed channels and will launch across Canada in the spring/summer of 2017. At launch, the channel will be instantly available to all Super Channel subscribers as part of their existing package, and new customers can also subscribe to the new 24-hour eSports programming available on Super Channel through their cable, satellite and IPTV provider.

"We are striving to provide unique and relevant entertainment for all members of the household on all devices -- and eSports is now a key part of this mix," said Super Channel COO, Don McDonald. "Our new venture with GINX allows us to provide Canadian viewers with world-class eSports TV, including the shows, events and hosts already enjoyed the world-over. It also provides the Canadian production community with an excellent opportunity to create new eSports content, to be seen on Super Channel and potentially distributed around the world through GINX world wide." Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Super Channel is a national premium pay television network, consisting of four HD channels, four SD channels, and Super Channel On Demand. Super Channel is currently available on Bell TV, Shaw Direct, Rogers Anyplace TV, Shaw Cable, Cogeco Cable, Access Communications, Bell Aliant TV, Source Cable, SaskTel, MTS, Novus, EastLink, TELUS, Videotron and other regional providers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-02-15, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

It sounds like Super Channel will repurpose one of their existing movie channels to an eSports channel. Not all providers carry all 4 channels in HD, so it will be interesting to see which channel they use.

Useful link: GINX ESPORTS TV | Super Channel

People may also be interested that Super Channel has negotiated with several of their TV providers to reduce the retail price of the Super Channel package to the $10 range, including Access, Eastlink, Telus, Novus, Rogers, SaskTel, Source, Videotron, Westman, NorthwesTel.
Source: 10 Dollar | Super Channel

Interesting timing to launch a new channel considering the following is still ongoing:
Allarco (Super Channel) in bankruptcy protection

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-02-15 at 02:26 PM. Reason: added more info
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-02-15, 02:45 PM

Can you imagine watching a SD channel of a high quality video-game? It will make Battlefront look like ATARI's version of ET !!!

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-02-15, 03:41 PM

^
Why in this day and age is anything offered in SD? I refuse to watch anything in SD, don't care if its something I've wanted to see my whole life. Won't do it.
faston and pwh2112 like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-02-15, 04:48 PM
Rookie

On one hand, it's surprising Canada hasn't seen an eSports channel. On on the other hand, at this point I can't imagine there being much interest in an eSports channel. The segment has grown so large precisely due to its availability for free on the internet.
Tridus and Inglewood like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-02-15, 04:56 PM

@DarksideDan - totally agree - everything good about eSports is free on the internet, and in much better quality and coverage then a SD TV channel could cover. Why would I want to watch dated content with commercials as well - and pay for the privilege to do so?

This channel isn't going to last. I can look up the games I am into (obscure ones), get High Quality, free, commercial free (well, not in your face commercials) content that is up to date anytime I want now.

I don't know many gamers that don't have an internet connection these days...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-02-16, 10:14 AM

Who exactly is the market for this? eSports are readily available via streaming. The major tournaments are all streamed. The streaming services allow for immediate reaction, chat, and so on, none of which will be done on a linear TV channel. I don't expect they'll be offering an expansive back catalog of previous matches. I suspect a lot of the audience is cord cutters who won't even have cable, let alone want to pay $10 a month.

Looks an awful lot like Super Channel is flailing around trying to find some content of any kind that can fill space.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-02-16, 10:21 AM
Veteran

There's actually people who want to watch a TV show about people playing video games? who knew? Anyways if this is anything like G4 Tech TV, which shows boring re-runs of Leo Laporte Call for help then i'm not interested.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-02-16, 10:43 AM
Veteran

There is a market for this but not for TV. Watching gameplay on YouTube and Twitch is huge but for conventional linear television; I'm sure this will be an absolute flop.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-02-16, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
There's actually people who want to watch a TV show about people playing video games? who knew? Anyways if this is anything like G4 Tech TV, which shows boring re-runs of Leo Laporte Call for help then i'm not interested.
Tons of people want to watch people play video games, online. Millions of them. I am having a hard time coming up with any who want to do it on a specialty channel where they can't pick what they want to watch at any given moment. I really can't come up with anyone who wants to pay $10/month and get a cable subscription for that. It's like trying to apply horse & buggy era thinking to a modern F1 race.

As for G4 TechTV, that's just an orphaned channel. It's US parent doesn't exist anymore but they couldn't change it in Canada. So it just limps on, collecting subscriber fees from anyone who still has it, while spending almost nothing on programming. Eventually it'll fail, but it's a pretty good business model for a few years since it makes subscriber fee revenue with little to no expense or effort.

Amazingly it still has over a million subscribers. Must be left in some standard packages somewhere.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-02-16, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
...everything good about eSports is free on the internet, and in much better quality and coverage then a SD TV channel could cover. Why would I want to watch dated content with commercials as well - and pay for the privilege to do so?

This channel isn't going to last. I can look up the games I am into (obscure ones), get High Quality, free, commercial free (well, not in your face commercials) content that is up to date anytime I want now.

I don't know many gamers that don't have an internet connection these days...
I don't know why you are assuming that the channel will have commercials - Super Channel doesn't have commercials. It's a possibility, but not the most likely case.

Let me clarify the HD/SD situation. Super Channel offers all 4 channels in HD. They also offer them in SD for those millions of people that still have SD boxes. The problem is that some providers like Shaw only carry SC1 and SC2 in HD. Most of the other large providers carry all 4 channels in HD.

I think it's most likely that they will rebrand SC4 as the eSports channel, with SC1, 2 and 3 for first-window movies and TV series.

The content partner is GINX eSportsTV, which has 13.5 million households in their home market in the U.K., so there is an interest for this type of TV channel. I just don't think it fits well with the rest of the SC lineup.
Kloraff likes this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-03-02, 06:33 AM

This stuns me that this even exists as a concept. However, my 5 year old nephew loves to watch people play Mario Kart on YouTube endlessly. So I guess this channel will be aimed at kids under 12? Seems like the type who would sit there and watch people play video games. Then again maybe I am just an old fuddy duddy at 34 that thinks video games are for little kids, not anyone who is old enough to drive.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-03-02, 01:03 PM

Yes, you're old. Gamers these days come from all ages and all walks of life, since the first generation to play them a lot as kids grew up and largely kept on playing.

The problem with this concept is that the content is available via streaming already. That's where the events are, where the personalities are, where the audience is. You can watch what you want, when you want, usually for free, on any device. Telling someone to pay extra for a linear channel that someone else picks what's on and when, and is only available on certain devices?

They might as well be asking me to trade my smartphone in for a land line. It's completely against the trends in the market and where the audience for this is. That's why it will fail.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-03-02, 06:01 PM

@Shootmaster_44 : 34???!! I have socks older than you! Sheesh.

I don't think there is an age limit to play games (I'm a Centennial baby) but I for sure would not likely sit there and watch someone else play. I have no idea how they make this an e-sport tournament and have 1000's of people in the arena watching on big screen. Nope. Not me.
@Tridus : I wonder if instead of starting a new channel on cable that is mostly about online stuff to begin with, why not start a YouTube channel like in your streaming example?

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-03-03, 07:36 AM

They make eSports a tournament and draw tons of people for the same reason that watching people hit a piece of rubber with a stick can do so. Pro gamers are INCREDIBLY good at these games. If you like the game they're playing and play it yourself, watching these folks play is really not that different from a bunch of beer league hockey players watching an NHL team in action.

If you grew up with gaming, there's little difference between it and other sports in terms of the appeal of watching the best in the world compete. It's very much a generational thing. Hell, there's some games I'd rather watch than play, because I'm interested in seeing the story and such unfold but not particularly interested in actually playing it. (eSports games don't tend to have much if any plot, but lots of gamers stream other games that do, and you can watch those too.)

They could start a Youtube channel, sure. That'd make more sense, except this move is really about trying to find something to fill up those four channels that SuperChannel has. They're losing out on movie & show rights, so this is an attempt to find something else to stick in there.

Tags
super channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.