Allarco (Super Channel) in bankruptcy protection - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-28, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Allarco (Super Channel) in bankruptcy protection

Quote:
Allarco Entertainment 2008 Inc. and Allarco Entertainment Limited Partnership (Allarco) announced today, after consideration of all available alternatives, that it is initiating a Court-supervised restructuring process under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act ("CCAA") in order to facilitate a restructuring and refinancing of its business operations...Allarco will continue to operate under CCAA protection...
Source: Official Press Release

Allarco launched Super Channel in 2007 and previously operated under CCAA from June, 2009 to August, 2010 because it had difficulty gaining carriage on many TV providers.

I found an article in the Edmonton Journal where Allarco is based.
Quote:
Company president Malcolm Knox said Friday their revenue has been hit over the last 18 months by subscribers dropping Super Channel...While lots of people still sign up, he said the $15 to $18 monthly price charged by many of the cable and satellite firms that offer Super Channel is too high....“We have been working with all of (the providers) to get us repriced to 10 bucks … We have found with those that have reduced us, the retention rate is higher.”

“It’s always a challenge, but we’re looking ahead to having a strong programming lineup in the fall, working at this in the summer and coming out the other side. A lot of companies in our industry have used this process.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-28, 07:04 PM
Veteran

Although I'm a subscriber to both Superchannel and The Movie Network, I hope SC shuts down. It doesn't benefit Canadians to have two movie networks if all it does is split the good programming between the two. The quality of movies on TMN has really declined since SC launched but if I give up one it will be SC.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL 9400 | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One S
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-28, 09:31 PM

Superchannel Might Drop Homeland

M.Lausmann

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-28, 10:22 PM
Veteran

Superchannel is definitely not a good deal at $15. Many of their series are second run or air after the US showing and some are from non-premium channels in the US or overseas. In addition, they have fewer series than TMN/HBO. I subscribed a couple of times when it was half price. Since then, then the quality of programming seems to have gone downhill so I wouldn't even pay that.

I second the opinion that SC is draining good programming from other channels. Homeland would probably be on a regular specialty channel like Bravo or Showcase if SC didn't exist. The same goes for a number of other series. $15/mo is gouging for the variety and quality of programming that SC provides. I might pay $5 bundled with TMN if they pick up some new first run series.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-29, 12:50 PM

I used to subscribe. Dropped the service after the Falling Skies series originally on TNT ended summer 2015. Just too many series intended for non-premium channels, 2nd and 3rd rate movies to pay $18 a month on Shaw. Even $10/month is pushing it for what's on there now. maybe $5 as suggested by ExDilbert.

I think they should have negotiated a deal to become Showtime Canada a few years back, but all Showtime programming is on TMN now.

I wonder if Corus or Bell Media would buy them out, or just let it circle the drain?
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-29, 05:37 PM

netflix has also made a big impact on TMN's selection of new movies
SportsFan likes this.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-29, 06:59 PM

SuperChannel used to cover boxing matches that HBO wouldn't have. I haven't seen any boxing on their since maybe last year.
I keep it just for the rare gem that might be on it but when it goes, it won't be missed.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-30, 03:56 PM
Veteran

For what it offers, it's incredibly overpriced. They really want to pitch this as being nearly twice as expensive as Netflix, on top of the cable sub you need to get it in the first place? It's madness.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-30, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl124 View Post
Superchannel Might Drop Homeland
If they drop their most popular series they might as well just shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
... some [series] are from non-premium channels in the US or overseas.
Why does that matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
... Homeland would probably be on a regular specialty channel like Bravo or Showcase if SC didn't exist.
It is on Bravo, but much delayed. New episodes of Homeland would probably be on TMN like most Showtime series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
They really want to pitch this as being nearly twice as expensive as Netflix?
You didn't read the first post.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-30, 11:52 PM

I think that if Superchannel cannot make it on its own then Corus or Rogers should acquire it.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-31, 01:09 AM

CSL, I don't see Corus getting in on bidding for Super Channel. They just barely got out of Premium Pay TV ownership with their closure of Movie Central.

Rogers would be the most likely to get Super Channel, if the bidding rights came up. If not, then I'd only see the rights to all their shows/movie catalogues being defaulted to Bell Media's TMN.

In terms of the financials surrounding Super Channel, I think that the Allards might be out of era in the current TV climate. Whatever they've tried to do the last 8 1/2 years doesn't seem to have worked out well, as a whole.

=P
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-31, 09:13 AM
Veteran

I doubt there would be any buyers for Superchannel. Shaw/Rogers own Shomi, if anything, they would acquire some of the programming and put it in their streaming service; Shomi. Bell already owns TMN and CraveTV.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-05-31, 09:24 AM
Veteran

There's no reason for anyone to get into a bidding war over Super Channel. It's something in a business that the market is moving away from. If you can get it at bargain basement prices, maybe, but at bidding war prices? That makes no sense at all.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-06-02, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

I just looked at Super Channel's series web page and noticed they deleted a lot of series. I'm not sure how many were old series that they were no longer showing, but I see that TNT's RIZZOLI & ISLES (Final season returns Monday, June 6) and MAJOR CRIMES (Returns Monday, June 13) are gone from the series list and not on the schedule. I wonder if someone else will pick up the first run of these shows. Showcase airs the second run of RIZZOLI & ISLES about a year after Super Channel.

Homeland from Showtime is still on the series list, but it doesn't debut until January this year, so who knows what will happen.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-06-02, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I checked Super Channel's twitter feed and they confirmed the shows were dropped.
Quote:
@SuperChannel when is #majorcrimes and #rizzoliandIsles premiering?

...Due to circumstances beyond our control we no longer have broadcast rights to those shows. We apologize for the disappointment.

Tags
bankruptcy , super channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.