Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CKSA Lloydminster changing from CBC to Global on Sept. 1, 2016

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  magnet 
#1 ·
we hereby seek approval to disaffiliate our conventional television station, CKSA-DT from the CBC network effective August 31, 2016. The licensee was notified by the CBC in its current affiliation agreement and in its letter of January 20, 2015 that it would not continue an affiliate relationship beyond August 31, 2016. As a result, we have no choice but to disaffiliate and seek alternate programming.
Source: Newcap application to the CRTC (ZIP file contains PDFs) 2016-0510-7

I believe this is the last independent English CBC affiliate.

#4 ·
Ha! City?! I had to do a Wiki search for info on the station & it's mandate to the community, then a Google Earth to see market it serves compared to near by markets for overlap. Weeknight news 5 to 6:30. Then half hour at 11. The way City has mercilessly gutted local news that ISN'T their beloved Toronto the past decade... amazing thing that Rogers isn't getting it's claws into Newcap's station (O&O) & only affiliation. Newcap News is too good to carry the CityNews branding.

The isolation on both sides of the border seems to me a toss up for affiliation. CTV & Global strongest need for.

#5 ·
kylelarrow: First, Newcap already affiliated CTV in Llyodminster on CKSA's sister channel: CITL.

Second, being affiliated with an existing network does not mean Newcap has to follow what the affiliate company do to it's O&O stations: Jim Patterson's three stations in the west did carries City's affiliation while maintaining their own newscast with their own brand. So "Newcap news" will still be seen on CKSA after August 31 as "Newcap News" no matter it is going to affiliate CTV2/Global/City or even YesTV.

#9 ·
My assumption is either Global or City. On cable CTV Two is already carried as the Alberta Learning Channel (not sure its original name) has affiliated. City isn't available on Shaw Cable here and Global Edmonton and Global Saskatoon is carried on Shaw. City seems like the affiliation that makes the most sense. I suppose they could stay independent akin to CJON and carry a cross section of City and Global programming.

The other thing is Newcap News is the same broadcast for both CKSA and CITL. So if City affiliation was preferred and Rogers insisted no local news, it wouldn't cause huge issues for them.

What is interesting is this means Lloydminster is not served by an OTA CBC affiliate. I do wonder if CBC intends to put up a transmitter for either CBC Edmonton or CBC Saskatoon?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.