Did CTV recently start copy protecting everything? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Did CTV recently start copy protecting everything?

I have an ancient TiVo (Series 2 DT) hooked up to a Rogers E940 (SD) box via Composite and S-Video. It's been recording fine and it's time to back up some shows to my computer using kmttg 1.1i.

It appears that everything recorded from CTV or CTV2, and AFTER Sun Jun 28 (so starting Mon Jun 29) has the copy-protected flag set. I've only ever seen this on HBO (on a newer TiVo using a CableCard in the US).

Specifically, all shows on CHRO (CTV2) from Jun 30 on are copy protected. Shows recorded Jun 15 and Jun 28 are not copy protected.

On CJOH (CTV) I only have shows from Jun 29 on, and all are copy protected.

The only other protected shows are on WDIV (Detroit), Late Night from Jul 14 and Jul 15, and one show on WJBK (Detroit), So You Think You Can Dance from Jul 13. I believe both those US shows are actually CTV simsubbed. Other shows on WJBK are not protected, nor are any other channels'.

This is frustrating because the drive is only 80GB and even in SD that's not a lot of room. I'm asking in hopes that it's not a CTV move but just some other cause I can adjust for.

Thanks!
=aw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 04:57 PM

I can't speak to CTV Ottawa stations, but I don't see the same issue here on CKCO KItchener (CTV) or CTV2 transmitters from London or Hamilton with my CM DVR from over-the-air. It's my understanding that my CM7000 DVR recognizes this flag when applied in a transmission.

Could this be something Rogers is applying to the signal?

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct 91-XG & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-07-16, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

I guess it could be Rogers but so far it's only CTV and CTV2 that are affected. Recent recordings on CHCH, CITY, and TVO, can all be transferred. I'll record something on CFMT (that's still Rogers right?) and see if it will transfer.

It's new (Jun 29) so maybe it's an experiment. I've always wondered why all the commercial broadcasters don't block all their shows. I also wonder if it affects OTA recordings (so maybe the rise of Tablo or the like is the real target, not people with 11yo TiVos .

=aw

My TVFool results are at my profile Homepage URL. Thanks roger1818 for the idea.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-07-17, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

FWIW, recorded something on CFMT (OMNI1) last night and it's not flagged to restrict transfer. Another two CJOH (CTV) shows _are_ restricted.

=aw
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-07-17, 03:13 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
What happens if you record a commercial from CTV / CTV2 on it's own?

An interesting test...

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener (where /when available) since 06/2010
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-07-18, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I'll give that a try this weekend, though I assume it's the _show_ that's got the no-copy flag set (and even a commercial from within a show is considered a partial show). Though maybe they've set the whole station to be that way.

=aw
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-07-20, 07:43 AM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Another possible test...

Find an American channel that CTV's programing covers over (simsub) and try recording that...

In theory, the copy protection should be tripped. Then, when the simsub goes away things should clear up again. (assuming you can record that channel normally)

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener (where /when available) since 06/2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.