Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Skinny Basic TV Discussions

113K views 539 replies 98 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thought it might be useful to open a thread for the announcements and launch of the new <$25 CRTC mandated skinny basic packages.

The first that I have seen was announced today by VMedia at a competitive $17.95, a significant reduction on their $30 entry point prior to this.
As well as main GTHA OTA stations it also includes:
- US networks
- TV5 and Unis, CPAC, APTN, RDI, Weather, OLeg, TFO, AMI, TVA Montreal.

TheSkinny TV Package

It will be interesting to see how others in the market respond both pricewise and over inclusion of US networks. Also how the market price holds as VMedia expand beyond Ontario and Quebec.

EDIT by Dr.Dave: Since we are discussing the fine details of the CRTC policy that implements Skinny Basic and Pick and Pay or small theme packs by March 2016, I've included the link here:

Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96

See less See more
#3 ·
Skinny & Any Twenty for $47.95 looks interesting as well. The channel choice is limited for now but it should open up as the Dec 2016 deadline approaches. I'm not yet sold on Vmedia's technology but this definitely throws down the gauntlet to other BDU players in Canada. I'm going to need unlimited internet for this plan. ;)

#4 ·
As I think you know the CRTC require IPTV to be tied to the BDU's own internet service. Up until now VMedia have only offered unlimited internet probably because of that IPTV strategy. But yes, worth noting that you probably need to pay $40-$45 for at least an unlimited 15 Mbps service to reliably get the $17.95 TV service.
(For me their unlimited internet is worth it just for the peace of mind of knowing there will never be overages, even without taking their IPTV offering.)

#11 ·
I am going to point out the obvious. There is a reason they charge less than the $25 cap, they are not an end-to-end provider, meaning when you sign up you also need a separate internet provider which is required. Other cable co's such as rogers, cogeco, shaw, etc. are end to end, they run a line right up to your house, you pay the $25 (or what ever they will charge since the price has not been officially announced) for the service AND you do NOT need a internet provider. Yes a lot of people may already have internet so they don't consider this an added expense and those are likely going to be the ones arguing with me, but think about the people such as your grandparents who maybe want to save a few $ off their cable, they are more likely to stick with an end to end cable company as opposed with TV over IP provider which needs a mandatory second connection.

#7 ·
Boy they really thought outside the box on that skinny package (sarcasm key off now). This package won't attract many OTA antenna people in the GTA/Golden Horseshoe. I get all the US stations and MORE, as many antenna users in the GTA do.

Maybe when I get older I'd be interested just so I can get CPAC and yell at the TV about all those gall darn idiots in Ottawa ruining the country, until that time this is just another massively underwhelming offering of something a lot of us get for free.

#8 ·
I disagree, this is a great offer. Basic package for $18 and then you can add Crave TV for $4 and some of individual channel like History or many other specialty channels. Inexpensive package that could cost around $30.
Great for people who can not get OTA or who want more selection than what is available on OTA for an affordable price.
Thumbs up for Vmedia.
I also hear that they are improving their cable internet. The transfer to Rogers Internet should be completed by June 08.

#9 ·
The unfortunately thing is OTA is only as good as where you are :(
Someone like me, who is still considered York region.. is well out of the range of DECENT OTA.

I don't think these skinny packages will BRING BACK many cord cutters.

But it may KEEP some of the people who were on the fence about cutting.

#14 ·
Except that DSL6 is not going to do much in the way of concurrent TV and internet use. A 25Gbps or 50Gbps plan will be required for households that have several people using internet and TV at the same time. Still, the prices are fairly good for the unlimited internet.

I'd have to agree that, even at $17.95, the skinny basic is overpriced. That many channels are available for free, OTA, in the US or the UK. Seeing that most are either government funded or supported by advertising, I see little value there. The only channels of value to Canadians are the US stations and they will, no doubt, be simsubbed into oblivion which reduces their value significantly.

#15 ·
pay for all local stuff? Why not use Over-the-Air having AMI, Weather, TV5/unis, CPAC, APTN and all US Networks and other local channels as Over-the-Air rather than paying $1.69 worth of channels for like $25, WAY TO GO CRTC but regular basic is worth $15 and $1.69 for skinny basic. 2 channels for Pick-and-Pay should be $0.95 per 2 channels , plus all the Canadian Timeshifting , US timeshift, Superstations , multiplex like the upcoming Family jr./CHRGD to Family or FX CANADA with FXX Canada or Much-VIBE/Retro/LOUD should all each count as one Pick and pay channel!

#17 ·
In my opinion, the CRTC did not go far enough in its decision. They should have forced service providers to break down service costs for the line and actual services, like TV telephone and internet, and itemize them on the bill. That would be a first step toward treating them as common carriers. There is no reason, for example, that we should not be able to purchase the incoming line (last mile) from Rogers and TV from another service provider.

#18 ·
Except for the fact that the line belongs to Roger's and they paid for it to be built? I don't see TV (or any TV) as an essential service. Unlike Internet which I think it's deeply rooted in society (and it's getting hard and hard to avoid it). It's a pretty big step forcing a company to share the infrastructure they paid for (like they have to with Internet).

I do agree that Skinny would be useless in Southern Ontario where there's lots of people and you're in close proximity to the US and can pick up all sorts of stations.

Here in Southwestern BC I'm too far away from Seattle to get the US networks and and too far away from Vancouver to get CBC/CTV etc.... OTA I can pick up ctv2 (which is useless, because anything decent is on regular CTV), Chek6 (a local independent station which is good for local news), a PBS station from bellingham and sometimes global. It's ok but it's pretty slim. A Skinny package seems like a step up due their not being many HD OTA stations here. It was similar when I lived in Edmonton. No US stations and a couple of locals. I imagine Skinny will appeal to people that don't live in Southwestern Ontario or Southern Quebec?

#20 ·
CRTC regulations make no sense. A service like Netflix is an over-the-top service because it's delivered over IP and requires no licensing. IPTV is also delivered over IP, how can that NOT be considered over-the-top? What is to stop someone who is entrepreneurial in setting up an OTA system and streaming a basic service to customers for say $5/month with about say 30 channels. It's OTT and should not require licensing at all, and certainly should not be tied to offering an internet service.
Film On does this, and provides service to Canada, and requires no CRTC license. My guess is if something like this is setup by someone, that the CRTC would likely do nothing to stop it.

#22 · (Edited)
Because it would have been theft and eventually would have led to death of OTA. It would be similar to what is happening with programs like Kodi where pirated channels are delivered for free which is nothing else but stealing.
Film On is not really that good of an example either, they have been in and out of courts for the last few years numerous times and still have no rights to distribute broadcast stations.
Finally not everything is about CTRC but also about the rights for the content.

#23 ·
It would not be theft. The BDU's do not pay the broadcasters a dime for carrying their OTA signals, nor do the pay for the U.S. Feeds they carry which they recieve OTA. It might be illegal in the U.S. because of Retrans fees, but not in Canada as their are no retrans fees for OTA signals. If Film-On can broadcast in Canada without a license, they do carry 4 CTV stations, then i would assume anyone here can do it as well. In fact in the last few weeks Film On just won a major court case allowing them to rebroadcast U.S. network signals for a fee, although that's going to be appealed for sure.

#24 · (Edited)
First of all almost all of OTA stations in Canada are owned by Canadian BDU's so wether it is legal or not they would never agree for a third party to redistribute their signal online without their permition.
If it ever happened they would most likely shut down OTA.

Why would CRTC ever decided to let third party redistribute OTA signal as they wish, when they have so many rules and restriction over Canadian BDU's and their OTA broadcasting.

Just because Film On provides four Canadian channels it does not mean in any way that they are doing it legally, it could mean that Canadian broadcasters have not decided to take them to court yet.

As far as I know Film On does not have any American broadcast stations in their channel line up.

#27 ·
I thought the date for all changes relating to Basic and Pay-as-you-go is Dec. 2016 but I could be wrong. However if I'm correct you can expect the big BDUs to hold off as long as possible. There will be a mass exodus from many channels once they can be dropped.

#30 ·
I thought the date for all changes relating to Basic and Pay-as-you-go is Dec. 2016 but I could be wrong.
From the CRTC:

Based on all of the above, the Commission will require all licensed terrestrial and direct-to-home (DTH) distributors to provide to their subscribers by March 2016 an entry-level service
... by March 2016, all discretionary services will have to be offered by licensed broadcasting distribution undertakings (BDUs) either on a pick-and-pay basis or in small, reasonably priced packages, which may either be created by the subscriber (for example, pick-5 or pick-10) or pre-assembled (for example, theme packs). Further, by December 2016, all discretionary services will have to be offered on both a pick-and-pay and a small package basis by all licensed BDUs. This will give distributors time to make the changes that are needed to roll out these new options to their subscribers.
Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96

#29 ·
#31 · (Edited)
How have I never heard of that Rogers Lite TV before? I definitely would have paid $15/month for that. Now I have moved to Cogeco country so I can't.

Edit: just chatted with rogers, apparently it is available at my address and it's $15.99/month + tax.

Edit 2: upon further research it seems I actually live in rogers country, not cogeco land

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.