CTV London Gets Worse - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

CTV London Gets Worse

Southwestern Ontario's News Leader keeps lowering the standards that should be applied to local newscasts.......some of the worst anchors in the business, using old rehashed stories, taking US medical clips and using as if they were Canadian. The only positive for CTV London is the weather reporter. Interestingly enough one of the sports reporters is now doing general news......or is he just filling in. Time to rethink and have only one CTV station with appropriate staffing and current technology (HD) in place. Guess nobody complained when the morning news programing disappeared some time ago. I suppose if no one is watching then no one will complain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 12:12 PM
Veteran

This is probably being done on purpose by CTV. It's no secret that they never wanted the "A" network stations but were forced to either see a larger deal and acquisition fall through or submit to the CRTC ruling that forced the stations on them. CTV has been whining and trying to shut them down ever since. The CRTC could have, and should have, made a better decision that was acceptable to CTV. Under the original deal, I believe Rogers was to acquire the "A" network that included CFPL. That would have been much better for Londoners and the other cities affected.
post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 12:43 PM

I agree..I think the reason bell has not made the newscasts hd in london, or kitchener is because they probably don't want to keep the stations when the license is up n 2017.

post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 12:44 PM

29 stations is a LOT for one company to operate
post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 12:59 PM

And that is part of the problem right there. In a market the size of Canada no one entity should have that many O & O stations.
post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 01:00 PM
Veteran

Part of the issue with CTV Kitchener is that it's so close to CTV Toronto. From a network coverage perspective, it would have made more sense to make London a CTV station and Kitchener CTV2.

The other thing that needs to be done is for the CRTC to abandon their one station per market per owner rule for networks. There is no reason why there should not be both a CTV and CTV2 station in both London and Kitchener and also in Toronto. It's also the reason CTV was forced to take the "A" network. The CRTCs thinking is that it prevents too much media concentration in major markets but it hasn't worked. All it has done is helped to kill Canadian OTA. It's also unevenly enforced due to exemptions for cultural stations and some other types of stations. That's why some cities have two Omni stations but only one CTV station.
post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 02:26 PM

exdilbert, ckco has always been a ctv affilate, since the sixties, and they would need crtc permission to disaffiliate from main ctv network.And cfpl would need crtc approval to become main ctv network affiliate.
post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 02:33 PM

I think only Toronto has Omni 1 & 2.
post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 03:20 PM

This station has been in decline since the Blackburn group sold it off.

In its heyday, they had news anchors with professionalism and they focused primarily on "local" news. Now the station seems to be staffed by inexperienced college journalism graduates.

I quit viewing this station almost 20 years ago when they tried the "musical podium" format that City TV used in Toronto.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 05:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
they would need crtc permission to disaffiliate from main ctv network.And cfpl would need crtc approval to become main ctv network affiliate.
I am well aware of that. Stranger things have happened. We had two radio stations near here switch formats and call signs without approval. One is in Woodstock and the other in London. A few people complained but the CRTC did nothing.

Quote:
I think only Toronto has Omni 1 & 2.
So does London. I believe Ottawa does as well. Not sure about other cities.

Quote:
This station has been in decline since the Blackburn group sold it off.
It was in decline, as in losing money, before Blackburn sold it. The worst downturn happened when Blackburn owned CFPL dropped its CBC affiliation. Losing HNIC and CBC news was probably a major factor in the audience drop, though CFPL had its own popular news programming. (It was and still is the only local TV news.) CBC put up a local repeater of the Toronto station after CFPL disaffiliated. CFPL was sold to Baton Broadcasting. A few years later it was sold to CHUM. CTV acquired it when they purchased CHUM. With each sale, staff was fired and local programming cut. With the CTV acquisition, the cuts became ludicrous and the station became a parody of itself.
post #11 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 07:06 PM

Gentleman, that format cfpl used for its news broadcasts, from city tv, was horrible! You'd have George Clark walking around or standing up with a shirt and tie, and when he'd have to throw the next news segment over to Kate Young, he'd always say "Kate?" or "over to you Kate". Kate Young would do the same to George....And they would use that steadicam also, to follow the news anchors around the newsroom..just an awful way of presenting a newscast... CFPL should of waited several more years to disaffiliate from cbc. The station almost went under. Thankfully Baton came to the rescue.
post #12 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-21, 11:27 AM

Our family moved to London in 1972 so I don't recall CFPL being a CBC affiliate. But I do remember anchors with professionalism, Jack Burqhart news anchor, Pete James on sports, Jay Campbell doing weather and Rick Wellwood doing entertainment.
These individuals spoke with finesse and handled tech glitches without difficulty. I also had the pleasure of touring the station back then and meeting the station engineer, Mr. Shack I believe his name was.
These days, it seems the news anchors have difficulty just reading the teleprompter at times.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #13 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-21, 11:37 AM
Veteran

By 1972 CFPL had replaced a lot of CBC programming with more popular shows from other sources, such as US networks. The CBC wanted CFPL to carry all of its programming. That led to conflict with the CBC and the eventual cancellation of the CBC affiliation.
post #14 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-23, 08:24 AM
Veteran

Call me crazy,but I think CFPL's best years after the CBC disaffiliation was the Baton years.

Yes, it has gone downhill since CTV bought them, and the old guard has left the news team.
post #15 of 133 (permalink) Old 2015-03-23, 03:33 PM

CFPL was a CBC affiliate from 1964 to 1988. Before 1964 it was CTV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in