Ads, Ads and more Ads - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

5Likes
  • 5 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-26, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Ads, Ads and more Ads

Would like to run into the person or persons that created the new wave of promotional ads and commercial ads on a number of channels......CTV.....City.. You know the banners that take up a good chunk of the viewing screen to tell us what show we are watching and on what channel etc. Ads for products that block out the credits of a show etc etc. The greed of the networks is beyond belief and they still have the gall to cry poor. Once again we are at the mercy of the networks who could care less about their customers. I for one will not buy any product advertised in such a manner and hope that others will follow suit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-26, 11:39 AM

With people PVRing and watching shows through OTT services, expect to see more of this type of advertising as well as more obvious product placement in the actual programs.

Advertisers aren't dumb, they know lots of people are skipping their ads through one method or another so they will pay less for the standard spots. The networks need to make this shortfall up through other methods, or convince the production/distribution companies to sell for less.

I'm not saying I like it, but I think we will have to accept it at least until we move on to an alternative distribution model.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-26, 12:25 PM
Veteran

And it's yet one more reason to hate simsubs. Overlays and pop-up ads are often station specific so it helps to have a choice. Some people actually like to see program credits but they are often being obscured. I've even seen program subtitles and critical action details obscured by this obnoxious practice.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 06:00 AM
Veteran

I remember complaining about this when CTV cut out subtitles during a segment of The Voice with their ad for an upcoming show, and was given a pretty lame excuse by CTV about it. It does seem a lot more common now, and it drives me crazy!

Can I also bring up a slightly different topic about ads? I'm also tired of seeing either the same ads every commercial break (the darn DQ "bacon" ad on CTV primetime shows as an example), or worse, showing the same commercial multiple times in a single commercial break (Omni Calgary and the Credit Counselling Calgary ad). Worse is some sky festival in Jasper which is a 10 second ad that airs THREE times in a commercial block!

Grrrrrrrr
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-29, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
And it's yet one more reason to hate simsubs. Overlays and pop-up ads are often station specific so it helps to have a choice. Some people actually like to see program credits but they are often being obscured. I've even seen program subtitles and critical action details obscured by this obnoxious practice.
I find it worse on the US networks.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-10-01, 03:50 AM
Veteran

Like I said, it's station specific. In the US, some stations are much worse than others. In Canada, most stations are networked owned so they tend to be the same across the network.

Quote:
I remember complaining about this when CTV cut out subtitles during a segment of The Voice with their ad for an upcoming show, and was given a pretty lame excuse by CTV about it.
And it's become a lot worse since Bell acquired CTV. Bell's obnoxious self promotion has also increased on their specialty stations.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-10-01, 06:02 AM

I couldn't agree more!

As an example: Now that YES TV (formerly CTS or "Crossroads") has acquired the rights to Jeopardy....these annoying banners appear over top of clues or wagers. Probably a similar issue with Wheel of Fortune.

Extremely and exceptionally annoying.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

Last edited by Jase88; 2014-10-01 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Correct grammar
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-10-01, 08:56 AM
Veteran

Seems like their goal is to make TV so expensive, obnoxious, and annoying, that it drives people to go do something else.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-10-01, 09:03 AM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
It would be interesting to know if any clauses are in distribution rights agreements to not obliterate program content and credits.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-10-01, 09:24 AM

Back in the day, every once in a while I remember Johnny Carson mentioning to viewers that if they were missing parts of his monologue (or other parts of his show) because of the ad break going too long, they should contact the network as it violated the distribution agreement. So trying to get a few extra bucks in ad revenue isn't new. And yes, it would be interesting to know if covering key program content or credits violates distribution agreements.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-10-18, 05:18 PM
Rookie

A few years have passed by since I started this discussion. Now it is time for an update.....simply put it just keeps on getting worse...the ads on CTV are almost a third of the screen and stay on far too long. Why do they continually tell me what I am watching....I must know what the program is or would not watch. One last comment the timing seems to be off by a few seconds when you skip through the commercials and land in the actual program. Finally it is the unwritten rule in this household that products shown in banners during the program will not be purchased .
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-10-18, 05:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Why do they continually tell me what I am watching....I must know what the program is or would not watch.
Because CTV is run by a bunch of self serving people (to put it very politely) who have no respect for their viewers.
kcbrk32, mr.eous, emmy1500 and 2 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.