Emergency Alerts Coming to TV/Radio/Cell Phone in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-08-29, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Emergency Alerts Coming to TV/Radio/Cell Phone in Canada

The CRTC has order the broadcast Industry to relay emergency Alerts Messages by March 31 2015.

Archived - CRTC requires broadcasting industry to relay emergency alert messages to Canadians - Canada News Centre

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-08-29, 08:41 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

OTA, Cable, Satellite, IPTV, and streaming services are all going to have to be compliant, with specialty and PPV channels also being affected. Certain smaller TV operations have until 2016 to get on board.

Canada has needed this for many decades, so this is great to see.
post #3 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-08-30, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Question

So basically we'll see a 30 sec test once a month just like they have on the US nets, not a big deal.

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour

post #4 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-08-30, 05:44 PM
Veteran

I hate when that happens, it is always during the monologue of the Tonight Show.
post #5 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-08-30, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Question

But that's the US. I'm not sure how or when or what time these new alerts will be broadcast or what day of the month, but I'm assuming at least once in the Morning/Afternoon and once in the evening once they get going.

post #6 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-08-30, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
just like they have on the US nets
Duck and cover

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #7 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-08-30, 06:27 PM
Veteran

MCIBUS: Yep but how would you feel if you lose sound in your favourite for 30 seconds?
post #8 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-08-31, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Question

Wouldn't like it, but it just like being interrupted during a TV show for any other advertisement. I mean its all part of TV we just had it good up to now.

post #9 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-08-31, 03:41 PM

It's too bad that most OTA transmitters in my area, including Toronto and Hamilton, have no emergency back up power. If a true emergency hit that impacted power, these messages won't get out. As it stands now, the CN Tower in Toronto loses electricity for at least an hour several times per year...

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #10 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-08-31, 05:46 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Many years ago, I took a tour of the CFRB transmitter, located in the Clarkson area of Mississauga. They could run on diesel power, but at a reduced power level (10 KW, instead of the usual 50 KW, IIRC).

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #11 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-08-31, 06:49 PM

The radio stations are definitely more likely to have backup power. I certainly recall having no issues with radio stations during the big blackout 10 or so years ago.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #12 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 12:48 PM
Veteran

If a true emergency hit that took out power, people wouldn't be able to turn on a TV to see alerts anyway. Radio is a lot more useful in an emergency situation.

That's what happened in Ontario 11 years ago, and also what happened here in Fredericton during Arthur earlier this year. Course, in the case of Fredericton most of the radio stations have minimal staff and didn't really provide any information anyway, but the infrastructure kept working.
post #13 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 01:44 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Cool TVs will still operate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus
people wouldn't be able to turn on a TV
Today's flat panel TVs (especially the smallest ones) can easily run for long periods from a UPS, from a generator, or from a vehicle with an inverter. Laptops with OTA tuner sticks can also run without hydro on their own battery or using any of the above methods. Since almost every TV sold in Canada since about 2007 has an ATSC (OTA) tuner in it, if the person's Cable or Satellite service is out the TV can be set to scan for OTA stations during and after an emergency. For the majority of Canadians (those who live in large urban areas) it will be possible to receive OTA stations if those stations are in operation.

My point is that a truly prepared home will include one or all of the above in their emergency plans, along with a radio.

Thus, the need for these Emergency Alerts via TV.
post #14 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 08:47 PM
Veteran

A "truly prepared home" does not describe most of the homes in Canada, and even in the ones that are prepared, worrying about powering a TV isn't exactly high on most people's list.

TV alerts are useful, but they're not as important in blackout conditions as radio ones are. (In non blackout conditions, they're great.)

During the blackout here this summer, many people had no power for going on a week. Virtually the entire city was out for a day. Even the land line phones went down in areas. Wasn't easy to get more gas. You'd be very hard pressed to have found someone who was worried about having enough emergency power to run their TV.
post #15 of 317 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 08:59 PM
Veteran

power outages are usually the aftermath of some event and the least of worries when it comes to getting emergency alerts out there, whatever caused it already happened.
Point is to be able to get the message out there before or while something occurs, whatever that may be.
No one wants to be caught driving around with a flat spare tire in the trunk...or having a generator that doesn't even run.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.