MuchMusic? More like MuchComedy - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

MuchMusic? More like MuchComedy

MuchMusic has released their Fall 2013 schedule for September only, but it includes shows that have nothing to do with music whatsoever. Reruns of shows like The Simpsons, The Cleveland Show, Jimmy Fallon, which were originally on The Comedy Network, are now moving to Much. In addition to these irrelevant genre shows on Much, South Park, Tosh.0, Trip Bank, Drunk History and many other no music related shows are moving from The Comedy Network to MuchMusic.

What is your input on this? What do you think Bell Media has in mind for The Comedy Network and MuchMusic? A rebrand perhaps? We already know that MuchMore is rebranding to M3 in the fall, but no word on other Bell owned channels as of yet.

MuchMusic Fall 2013 Schedule (September Only)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 03:29 PM

Remember, MuchMusic is rebranding as M3 in the Fall...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show....php?p=1713514

"super-station format.." sound about right for airing re-runs of The Simpsons, Cleveland Show, etc..

Dish Network with (2) 211k's and Bell TV with (2) 6131's and (2) 4100's.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

No it isnt, MuchMore, which is an other channel from Bell Media is rebranding to M3 in the Fall. I think you mixed up MuchMusic and MuchMore

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment..._the_fall.html
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 04:06 PM

I'm really not sure what Comedy is going to be if you remove that many shows, though they don't seem to show South Park in anything resembling a decent time slot anyway. It's mostly Saturday morning reruns.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 04:29 PM
Veteran

There' no shortage of sitcoms in syndication. Maybe Comedy will pick up some Comedy Central programming. Not holding my breath though. As for MMM or M3 or whatever, it's just another channel that's been diluted, debased and destroyed by media concentration, mismanagement and broadcaster protectionism. Maybe they should call it D3. That could be an interesting programming concept.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 05:40 PM

Lightbulb Bait and Switch all over again

Nothing "much" really ever changes. They all simply shuffle programming around from one channel to the next hoping to attract new viewers.

MuchComedy, MuchMoreComedy, LessMusic, MuchLessMusic, M3, M3.1415926 ... it doesn't matter what they call themselves. There are a bunch of programmers purchasing content and then distributing it to the various channels that they own.

Conventional television is now for dummies and the Internet is for the educated folks. The content is similar, but the big difference is that when you use the Internet properly, you become the purchaser and programmer of your own single channel ... The Me Channel ... 24 hours a day ... 7 Days a week ... Consisting of content that Me likes and You might not.

I used to watch the new episodes of South Park on The Comedy Channel, Wednesdays at 10pm (or 10:30pm), but now that I discovered/invented the Internet, I don't care that it's now a MuchMusic exclusive.

I like to complain about everything ... even the Internet. By changing the schedules around, Bell has gotten some "much" needed attention. Keep on moving, Bell, because sharks like you can sleep while they move.

It's simply the bait-and-switch technique used to perfection (promise one thing and then switch it to something else), as the CRTC stands on the sidelines watching dumbfounded as this nonsense continues. We are the shark bait, and Bell is the shark.

Rebranding is often a cry for help, except nowadays, it often means that a company has realized that it is becoming obsolete and needs to branch out or spread its wings. It's now more about marketing your channel to the masses through social media to keep yourself relevant and fresh.

Bell and the others move content around from channel to channel and try to create viewing experiences for the lazy viewer. If you can't find what you're looking for, that's okay, just keep flipping through OUR various TV channels until something catches your interest ... and don't forget to stream from our website, or check us out on Facebook and Twitter to find out what's popular/trending with our viewers ... assuming that we still have enough viewers to keep us relevant.

The really scary thing is that we now have the power to control television content better than the actual content owners and programmers. This paradigm shift in power forces the owners of these channels to do really crazy things to stay alive. The channel marketing campaigns are often similar to infomercials that are designed to make an inferior product look like you can't live without it ... even though it basically sucks.

That's the way I see today's version of conventional television. It's a dinosaur that doesn't realize it's about to become extinct ... the meteor called the Internet killed it for me ... and when the Internet becomes too restrictive and less popular, something else will appear to entertain me properly.

Extra Note: Me-TV stands for Memorable Entertainment Television, but it is in no way related to The Me Channel that I own and operate every day.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-15, 12:58 AM

It's like they are trying to change it into MTV even though we already have an MTV in Canada!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-15, 05:38 AM

I like the new schedule. It means we get Conan at 11pm, the same time as the Americans!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-15, 12:27 PM
Veteran

In this modern world, does time slot even matter anymore?

Stephen Colbert has a crappy time slot, but apparently lots of people still watch. I'd guess that much of the success of of shows that air between midnight and 2am is due to DVR users.

When you take that to the next level, do channels even matter anymore? My HTPC records the TV shows I'm interested in, and is typically configured to not care about the channel. I wouldn't notice if a show moved from network A to B.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-15, 02:49 PM

I agree that the network a show is on doesn't matter, but I'm really glad that we're finally getting Conan at the same time it's on in the US. It means I can watch it earlier and be in bed by midnight. Comedy was originally set to air it at 11pm, but then Colbert/Daily Show fans raised a big stink, so they moved Conan to midnight.

I'm not very happy though that the Countdown is being moved to Saturdays. I like watching it on Fridays, like I've done for 15+ years (minus a couple years when it was on Thursday nights).
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-15, 06:41 PM
Veteran

DVR much?

I almost never watch live TV.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-16, 10:09 AM

Oh I have a DVR and I use it extensively, but I was raised under the impression that late-night shows, much like sports and the news, were meant to be watched when they air. I almost never watch scripted shows or reality shows live (or at the earliest on a 15-minute delay so I can skip commercials).
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-20, 01:09 PM

Just saw some new promos on Much; they seem eerily similar to that M3 promo (with the orange and diagonal lines going on). Could we see ANOTHER new logo for no reason?
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-20, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

It's been like that since the MMVA's in June. I think they just updated their promos. I doubt we will see a new logo. I think M3 is the only new rebranded channel this Fall.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 2013-08-26, 02:56 PM

Much Season Premieres beginning September 3

Tuesday, Sept. 3
4 p.m. – THE SIMPSONS *Season 8 Premiere*
4:30 p.m. – THE CLEVELAND SHOW *Series Premiere*
5 p.m. – LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON *Season 6 Premiere*
10 p.m. – TOSH.0 *Season 5B Premiere*
10:30 p.m. – THE JESELNIK OFFENSIVE *Season 2 Premiere*
11 p.m. – CONAN *Season 4 Premiere*

Thursday, Sept. 5
10 p.m. – DEON COLE’S BLACK BOX *Series Premiere*
10:30 p.m. – DRUNK HISTORY *Series Premiere*

Saturday, Sept. 7
7:00 p.m. – MUCH COUNTDOWN
9:30 p.m. – OUT THERE *Series Premiere*
12 a.m. – CHAPPELLE’S SHOW *Series Premiere*

Sunday, Sept. 8
9:30 p.m. – UGLY AMERICANS *Series Premiere*

Monday, Sept. 9
10 p.m. – COMEDY BANG! BANG! *Series Premiere*
10:30 p.m. – BUNK *Series Premiere*

Wednesday, Sept. 25
10 p.m. – SOUTH PARK *Season 17 Premiere*

Press Release.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.