CRTC rules broadcasters must turn down the volume on commercials - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 12:29 AM
people been complaining for years and only now CRTC takes action (well in another year)?
Sponsored Links
post #17 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 09:20 AM
I'm surprised the CRTC did something at all. Not sure why it'll take this long, but better late then never.

No doubt in six months Rogers will add a "lower advertising noise level" fee to the bill.
post #18 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 09:54 AM
That's another thing I love about OTA, no increased volume on commercials. When I was with Rogers it seemed to be getting worst and worst and to the point were I had to mute the sound when commercials came on
post #19 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-09-20, 09:17 PM
I can't even remember the last time I actually noticed a commercial being that much louder than the program I was watching. What I do notice on a regular basis is the level differences between different channels, now that is annoying!
post #20 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-09-25, 04:56 PM
Volume limiting

Audio compression techniques have been around for more than 1/2 a century. It aint rocket science, by any means.
Compandors on analogue carrier systems were necessary to prevent cross talk between adjacent channels.

As the US and the UK have had these controls in place for years, the required equipment must be readily available!
post #21 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 09:46 PM
I can't believe the LOUD commercials, especially noticing it on CBC!! Its quite frustrating. As I have the volume set for the program I am watching and suddenly I find myself switching the MUTE button now. Absolutely ridiculous.
post #22 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 10:12 PM
Thumbs down

Great Leafs game tonight. However with some kids in bed I'm dropping main volume a full 10db during commercials to regain the same audio level. This has never happened before. It seems to be more noticeable than ever on CBC over the last few weeks, and by far the worse of all the OTA stations watchable in southern Ontario ( CTV, Global, Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS etc etc.).

cbc bashing:
I just want to say with respect to the CBC tech who is on this forum, I'm not trying to bash the CBC. Another thread states CBC bashing posts will be deleted. I just find the commercials to be a real issue. The audio production of the hockey game itself is outstanding.

Last edited by Balun; 2011-11-19 at 11:06 PM. Reason: cbc bashing
post #23 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 10:13 PM
Some commercial breaks after tonight's Leafs game were particularly bad. Almost as if someone screwed up.
post #24 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 11:48 PM
Ok as I have the Edmonton game on but not really watching it, the audio is turned down quite low. I just noticed this. A car commercial came on just a few minutes ago. The dialog was coming from the main L and R front speakers, and louder than the hockey game. And another ad was main L and R front speakers with dialog, with no center at all. This is not the usual Dolby Digital 5.1 mix. The hockey is dialog center, and all other speakers background as expected. This would account for the extra volume on certain commercials.

Does the CRTC regs get into audio mix issues ? , because the dB level can be the same, but you can modulate more channels with dialog without increasing the outgoing audio level, but the net result is more loudness in the end users living room. ??

Kind of like not speeding down the street but spinning your wheels at the same time to get attention.
post #25 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 12:21 AM
I've submitted this complaint to the CBC. Will post if I get any response.

For the past few weeks the discrepancy between the volume levels HNIC broadcasts and the commercial breaks has been very noticeable and frankly unacceptable. I often have to scramble for the remote to turn the volume down to acceptable levels and I've never had to do this before for any show on any network. Please look into what has changed with your sound mix levels. Thank you.
post #26 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 05:30 PM
It's not just HNIC. The wife was catching up on some Coronation St. taped in the evenings and it's ridiculous the variations in levels from the show to commercials and even across a few different commercials. This is something new, we watch a good 5 hours a week and I've never noticed this before.

Aquos LC42D64U Yamaha HTR6080 Emotiva XPA-5 Polk CSiA6 RTiA7's RTiA1's Velodyne DLS4000R Mot. 6416 III PS3 Harmony One
post #27 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 06:47 PM
I've always noticed the volume difference, but the past few weeks has been absolutely ridiculous. I've nearly pulled a muscle several times reaching for the remote! Can't pinpoint it to one channel; it seems to be widespread.

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #28 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 09:03 AM
Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Just a theory on my part, but the recent large volume discrepancy between commercials and programs on CBC may be related to their new automation server. In the past CBC would encode stereo programs on the front left and right channels of their 5.1 broadcast. This is the wrong way to do things as those with surround sound processors are then unable to use Dolby ProLogic to simulate surround sound since it thinks it is already in surround sound. With CBC's new automation server, they may now be able to switch between stereo and 5.1 broadcasts based on the encoding of the program (is this true Marc?).

For reasons I don't totally understand, 5.1 broadcasts play back much quieter than stereo broadcasts (even if only played in stereo), so if the program is in 5.1 and the commercial is in stereo, you will hear a huge boost in volume when it switches to commercial.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #29 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-01-30, 10:48 AM
Got a reply today:

Dear Neil:

I apologize for the prolonged delay in responding to your comments.

CBC currently has a technical working group that is examining options to solve these loudness differences between programs and commercials, using sophisticated processors that make corrections to the digital "bits" of the television signal by mimicking the behaviour of the human ear as a model.

The CRTC has asked Canadian broadcasters to address the problem by later this year, and we will have measures in place to meet that time frame.

Thank you for writing to CBC.
post #30 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-01-30, 12:07 PM
Your tax dollars at work. You need a guy that ingests commercials and monitors the input levels or plays them back in real time to check the levels. One or the other, I used to do both. It's tedious, but it gets the job done.

If you miss one, the Master Control guy will catch it. If he doesn't, eventually some shut in will call and complain and the problem is remedied. There is no reason for a technical working group.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.