18K views 69 replies 43 participants last post by  mr.eous 
#1 ·
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-295.htm

CRTC requires Bell TV and Shaw Direct to carry more local television
stations

OTTAWA-GATINEAU, May 4, 2011 - The Canadian Radio-television and
Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) today updated its satellite
distribution policy to require Bell TV and Shaw Direct to carry all local
television stations supported by the Local Programming Improvement Fund.

"Canadians in all markets should have access to their local television
stations, regardless of how they receive their programming," said Konrad
von Finckenstein, Q.C., Chairman of the CRTC. "The carriage of additional
local stations will put satellite distributors on the same footing as
cable companies and provide their subscribers with more choice in local
news and information."

See less See more
#56 ·
The PEI Solution

Here in PEI we have only one local OTA station, CBC Charlottetown. Except for the early evening news this station simply carries the CBC network schedule intact. Bell has set up a special shared channel (197) to pick up the PEI news for the 90 minutes that CBC Charlottetown has its own programming. After the news is over, the channel is given over to SRC to enable the French audience to catch up on the day. I've never heard anyone complain about this arrangement. One channel serving many markets when those markets are doing something different from the main network makes more sense than adding 40+ stations that for the most part of the day are just repeating the same programs as the main network stations.

#57 ·
I've never heard anyone complain about this arrangement. One channel serving many markets when those markets are doing something different from the main network makes more sense than adding 40+ stations that for the most part of the day are just repeating the same programs as the main network stations.
Except that viewers watching other CBC stations will find the local ads irrelevant, and PEI businesses can't reach viewers watching other CBC stations.

#62 ·
I think they should give all the local channel to everybody. That way bell wouldn't be playing favourites to certain areas. Where I live we only have 2 local channels and we get both of those but the next closest channel to our area is 300 miles away and we don't get that channel.

#63 ·
Bell tends to throw every OTA station into its basic package. Shaw Direct, OTOH, does not always do so. Some smaller stations are only available in their broadcast coverage area. Shaw Direct also has less expensive "value" packages that have only a limited number of OTA stations, similar to cable.

#64 ·
In areas that have Digital OTA, I would rather get my locals that way any way. Don't need it taking up space on satellites.Keep that for the specialty channels that people want, and i'm sure people don't want to pay extra for channels that they should be able to get for free.

#65 ·
Cable companies have tended to favor local channels anyways. It's mostly the satellite systems that are affected. We have a local OTA channel which is mainly a secondary channel of the CBC affiliate CHEX and I wonder if that one will get included. Most of the programming is the same as CBC but it does have local news.

#66 ·
The CHEX main Peterborough station has been on satellite from nearly the start (of DTH satellite in Canada). If the Oshawa re-transmitter carries their own local news separate from Peterborough, then it should also be on satellite, and probably even have their own broadcast license.

#68 ·
If the Oshawa re-transmitter carries their own local news separate from Peterborough, then it should also be on satellite, and probably even have their own broadcast license.
The Oshawa re-transmitter very much has differences from its Peterborough counterpart and the argument could easily be made that each should have its own separate license and therefore that both should be carried on satellite. Here is a sample 24hr period.

5:30-7:00 Peterborough:Quick Study and Local News
Oshawa: off air until 6:00, then Quick Study and Local News

8:00-9:00 Peterborough: Paid Ad and Religious programming
Oshawa: ethnic programming

12:00-13:00 Peterborough: CBC News Now
Oshawa: Local News and Colour Confidential

17:30-18:00 each has its own local news

11:30-sign off Peterborough: Late Show with David Letterman, paid ads
Oshawa: Local News, George Strombolopolous, different paid ads

Each also has its own commercials during breaks.

#67 ·
Cable companies have tended to favor local channels anyways.
Cable companies must carry local channels. They have no choice. Only distant channels, outside the station's grade B contour, are optional.

Satellite companies have traditionally had more leeway because they are a national service. Now that Shaw owns Global and Bell owns CTV, not carrying independent local stations could be seen as anti-competitive.

#70 ·
Ahh, I forgot about this thread when I made my recent post in the Bell TV new channels discussion.

I think a more important question is whether government (regulatory compliance - CRTC) is actually keeping track of these things. With all the complex decisions they hand down every week, how can they possibly ensure companies like Bell actually comply with their new regulations by the deadlines imposed?
I suppose they could have something primitive like a calendar with reminders to staff to check for compliance to new rules on deadline dates, but I'm skeptical.
Maybe someone should email bell.regulatory@bell.ca to "remind" them of their obligations coming due in nine days! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.