Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Future of the /A\ stations

40K views 238 replies 49 participants last post by  wilspin 
#1 ·
Many have speculated on here that CTVgm was only keeping the /A\ stations around to broadcast their prime-time programming during the Olympics. Now that the Vancouver games are over, the question is will they keep them for another 2 1/2 years for the London games. With the analog shutdown scheduled before then, it seems unlikely. The /A\ stations can be grouped into three categories:

1. Access
  2. /A\ Atlantic
  3. /A\ Broadcast stations

The Access stations are being discussed in the thread Future of Alberta's Access TV Network? so we will leave discussion of them to that thread.

/A\ Atlantic is only on cable and satellite, so it isn't affected by the analog shutdown, and may continue as is (it may even become a national station).

This leaves the Broadcast stations, which include:
  • CKVR - Barrie, ON
  • CFPL - London, ON
  • CHRO - Pembroke/Ottawa, ON
  • CHWI - Wheatley/Windsor, ON
  • CIVI - Victoria, BC

Some may be sold, some may be merged into the CTV network and some may be shut down. This thread is to discuss what could/should happen to each of these stations.

See less See more
#77 ·
downbeat said:
CTV is seeking "regulatory flexibility" in priority programming and described video requirements for its A stations to ensure that they "are in a position to continue to operate in the short term."
Which, to me, says "Dear CRTC, our /A\ Channel business model is totally screwed up. Please save us from ourselves!"

CTV has used the /A\ Channels purely as their /B\ team of stations so that they could buy up as many of the top programs from the U.S. to keep them out of Global's hands. Now it appears that the plan wasn't such a great one after all for the corporate bottom line since top rated shows on /A\ like Fringe and Flashforward were not just taking Global viewers away but their own CTV viewers too, resulting in the advertising $$$ of Peter being needed to pay Paul. :eek:

Time for the CRTC to take the /A\ Channel licenses back if CTV does not divest them asap.

#78 ·
So if they are not going to run any priority programming. What is left more American programming or more strip programming like what they want to do this fall at 10pm.
Accepting for the moment that they can't make money on Canadian programming, they don't seem to make any money on first run American programming either. They can't sell the advertising OR they paid too much for the US stuff. A Cartt headline indicates that CTV is claiming a 98 million dollar loss. That's a lot of advertising to sell or I go back to what I have said all along they have paid too much for the US inventory.

#79 ·
http://www.thewirereport.ca/reports...ef_says_a_channels_lost_98_million_since_2007

Is the $98m divided over all 5 stations? If so, that makes $19m/station. A heck of a lot, yes, but that will just have to be CTVg's cross to bear if they want to buy up all that lucrative US programming and keeping it out of the hands of competitors (Global/Shaw, Citytv/Rogers and now Channel Zero). Furthermore, that $19m/station over 3 years comes out to $6m/station/year.

Look, they either got to p*** or get off the pot. You either take the financial hit, or you sell it and let another try to buy it and if not, very sadly, let the local stations die off (and try again in a few years when the TV landscape has changed w/ either new companies restarting up, or the same giving it a 2nd go). But don't tell us they want to further decrease Canadian programming, increase American and tell us this is just the way it "has" to be.

They (CTVg) want it both ways. I'd LOVE to see what they'd do if they didn't have /A\ (which acts like a /B\) to fall back on for all that US programming they'd have to otherwise shelve!! lol What would they do? In what shape would CTV (and their parent company) be in if they couldn't stick it on the A's. So they should be GRATEFUL they have it to fall back on an counter-program w/ CTV. But, NO. They throw a fit and say say "give us more (US programming avails)".

#81 ·
Does this mean CTVgm is exiting the London market?! Bob FM was the only radio station they owned in London, now the only property left is CFPL-TV- I wonder if its next to be sold?! Corus would be a good fit since they own CFPL-AM & CFPL-FM, adding the TV station into the mix would give them good opportunities for cross promotion.
Maybe they can add the London Free Press to the mix as well. And to top it off, gain CBC affiliation for the TV station. Nah, that would never work LOL.

I wonder what Rogers will do now, they can't operate this station out of the CFPL facilities and they don't own any other radio properties in London so are they going to build new studios from scratch?! Maybe they will just move Bob FM into the Rogers Television studios- ha ha!
Nothing says Rogers can't carry on as they do now at the CFPL building and pay rent and shared costs.

#82 ·
Nothing says Rogers can't carry on as they do now at the CFPL building and pay rent and shared costs.
Definitely true. In Wingham, after Blackburn Group sold off CKNX-TV, they remained in the same building as CKNX Radio (still owned by Blackburn) right up to the end in 2009. These arrangements can be done, although they are probably not too common. I think it's more common with sharing towers for transmitters.

#86 ·
Does any of this really matter? The A channels are about to be sold to Bell along with the rest of CTV. Who knows Bell may want to sell them off anyway, or perhaps they should be forced to sell them off by the CRTC in order to buy CTV. Either way, I like what I read about why these networks don't reduce expenditures on American programming, and I agree 100%. Why do CTV, Global, Citytv, A, and other Canadian broadcasters spend billions of dollars a year buying programming which we can see at no extra cost on CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and CW. Their money would be better spent buying programs from American networks that we don't receive like F/X, TNT, USA, TBS, Syfy, and others as well as creating their own Canadian programming. They could save millions of dollars a year this way at the very least, eliminate simsubbing, and wouldn't have to moan anymore about working their schedules around those of their American counterparts.

#87 ·
Very good points vjose78. Trouble is they are addicted to the simsub advertising revenues. And until the CRTC (or the Federal Government) holds their feet to the fire and insist they increase Canadian content or disallows simsubbing they will not change their ways. Even with the obvious abundance of american programming available from the big 4. Heck, they could bring in British television at half the price and still use their own commercials. At any rate, I hope they return to what I perceived to be an A Channel strength. Strong local programming with non mainstream content.

#89 ·
The majority of the Canadian viewing public wants to watch US programming. Otherwise, we would have more overseas programming here.

#90 ·
Yes, but US programming is readily available on the US networks and to top it off, most who have ota tv even get the US networks. Either way we would have more value with our tv subscriptions if we weren't paying twice for the same thing, ie Canadian networks and US networks which air virtually the same programming. Perhaps the CRTC should just remove all ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX networks from their eligible satellite lists as they pretty useless if the same content is available on the Canadian networks. That then frees up tons of bandwidth for cable companies and makes it so the broadcasters don't have to compete with the US networks. Win-win for everyone I think.

#95 ·
MCIBUS - there is a big difference between Omni and Citytv while there is little difference between A and CTV and for that I think CTV/Bell should not be allowed to keep the A channels, at least in cities which have a CTV channel available. Omni provides multicultural programming and is entirely different than what Citytv offers so I have no issue with that. The issue is not having two networks in the same city, but more of having two networks in the same city that have similar content, such as A and CTV airing all that American programming which allows them to dominate in that city so to speak.

#98 ·
Maybe but the rhing is Omni shows non ethnic propgraming as well. True its not a "regular" channel, but still they show english programs.

A Channel unles you got cable or sat the OTA is limited for both Omni,City TV,SCTV & A Channel, and in most cases City TV/Omni/A is available on cable or sat via timeshifting in other cities,(A channel for sat only)not aware if A channels either then the one from your area is available in other areas0

Example A Ottawa not available out side of the Great Ottawa area, same for Barrie & A London for there respective areas.

But a present was already set years ago.

Before A Ottawa became A Ottawa it was a CTV network own I believer by Baton or Bassett and they both where operating in Ottawa by the same owner.

#96 ·
I think the CRTC decision will add to CTV's reasons to wind down A (channel). This year the programming has been really pared back. It has strip programming at 10 and a lot of CW filer. If they were to revert to one network Ottawa and Barrie are redundant so I think they would be gone. A-London and Victoria could possibly be converted into CTV affiliates if they are interested in maintaining an OTA presence in those markets. CKNX and CHWI would probably be rationalized with some of the CKCO repeaters if any of these transmitters survive post 08/2001. For US shows on A that they still have rights to come 2011, they could either try to slot into CTV, show off primetime say on weekends, put on one of their many specialties (CW stuff that has limited national simsub possibilities) or sublease them to Rogers/City.

CFPL almost became a CTV affiliate once anyways. Before CHUM/City and Baton/CTV swapped a lot or properties Baton had initiated a proposal with the CRTC to make CFPL part of CTV. I don't see Bell/CTV wanting a secondary OTA network especially after Sept 2011. Saving a couple of the stations might be their way or salvaging some goodwill with the CRTC from the 'local matters' campaign.

#107 ·
I think the CRTC decision will add to CTV's reasons to wind down A (channel).
I totally agree.

If they were to revert to one network Ottawa and Barrie are redundant so I think they would be gone. A-London and Victoria could possibly be converted into CTV affiliates if they are interested in maintaining an OTA presence in those markets.
I agree about Ottawa, but I don't see why you say Barrie is redundant and Victoria isn't. Both are small markets within the contour of a much larger market. Victoria has the added disadvantage of having another local station to compete with.

Regarding CFPL (London), I am not sure if CTV will want local station in both Kitchener and London, they could merge them together into one dual market station or maybe even a split feed (local advertising and somewhere around 15 to 30 min a day of separate programming). I guess a split feed could similarly be used to salvage CIVI (Victoria), CKVR (Barrie) and maybe even CHRO (Pembroke/Ottawa) pairing each with the larger, nearby CTV affiliate.

I would rather see the whole /A\ network sold off (either station by station or as a group), but CTV will likely want to shut them down to make a political statement and if anyone offers to buy them (like Shaw did last time), they will accept and then make the deal so unattractive that the buyer will have no choice but to pull out (making CTV's point even stronger).

For US shows on A that they still have rights to come 2011, they could either try to slot into CTV, show off primetime say on weekends, put on one of their many specialties (CW stuff that has limited national simsub possibilities) or sublease them to Rogers/City.
Unless the show will draw a large audience, CTV will likely mothball the show to prevent the other networks from getting their grubby little hands on it. :)

#99 ·
Would be nice

It would be nice to see if CFPL (London's A channel) could revert back to a CBC affiliate as there is a already a CTV affiliate near by in Kitchener CKCO.

#100 ·
It would be nice to see if CFPL (London's A channel) could revert back to a CBC affiliate as there is a already a CTV affiliate near by in Kitchener CKCO.
If CBC was willing to allow new private affiliates, I'd say that would be the best thing that could happen to CFPL.

But it'll never happen. I think the station will have to join CTV in order to continue onwards in the long term.

#101 ·
Their money would be better spent buying programs from American networks that we don't receive like F/X, TNT, USA, TBS, Syfy, and others
Canadian networks often show such programming. For example, /A\ has White Collar and Jersey Shore. I have seen many others on CTV, /A\, Global, and CH (when it was owned by Global.) The problem is that those programs and Canadian programs will not draw the audiences that most US prime time shows will. That practically forces Canadian networks to air 'Big 4' shows in prime time to get simsubs and the ad revenue that goes with large prime time audiences. Canadian networks spend a lot of money on popular US shows but they do so because they make money on them with large ad revenues. They pay for all the mandated Cancon that loses money.

#105 ·
Canadian networks often show such programming. For example, /A\ has White Collar and Jersey Shore. I have seen many others on CTV, /A\, Global, and CH (when it was owned by Global.) .
Agreed. CTV will be carrying Conan's new show starting in November (a TBS production).

#102 ·
All the A stations need to be sold to local, independent broadcasters who can return them to their roots and original mandates- television stations with LOCAL programming to serve the LOCAL community not a dumping ground for programming that the parent company doesn't want to air on their main network. CHCH is the perfect example of how to run a local station, a mix of local programming, popular shows and movies. Time to get these stations out of the hands of conglomerates before they go the way of CKX Brandon!

My kudos to the CRTC for standing up to these conglomerates and forcing them to adhere to the original license terms for these stations they operate. Its about time they enforce the rules they have in place, these are LOCAL Canadian television stations and should be airing local programming not re-broadcasting American programming from the US networks which we already receive on cable & satellite.

#103 ·
Idea: Merge /A\ Victoria with CHEK

It's still an open question as to whether CHCH, CHEK, and others can make a go of it after all, but I sure hope so. I'm personally in the "convert some /A\ stations to CTV, shut down the rest" camp, but in the case of Victoria/Vancouver Island there would need to be a better solution since CIVT Vancouver is the undisputed CTV hub on the West Coast.

Frankly I don't believe Vancouver Island can support two full fledged stations, which is partly why CHEK almost died (that and stupid management decisions from Canwest). I'd like to see CHEK and /A\ Victoria merge operations and trim any overlap.

#104 ·
I've seen some of the CHCH-DT programming and I do think they will succeed. They are basically offering an alternative. And a good alternative.

Being in Montreal, I've also been keeping on eye on CJNT-TV. This station seems to be improving since the same group that bought CHCH-DT bought them as well. Still the problems of CJNT-TV 62 are much greater as the station is basically a multilingual station that runs movies, and music videos. They have added some of the US programs that CHCH-DT has incorporated within their broadcast day. The station has improved from what it was before. Still a lot of work to be done though. Especially on the technical side. And the station will get nowhere until they get their DT signal up and running with a proper power output. Not the current 4kw that Industry Canada has indicated.

As for the /A\ Channels. They should all be forced to be sold in markets that already have a CTV O&O station. Example Ottawa. If CTV wants to maintain the /A\ Channel as a secondary network, they can create a program block of 6 hrs a day, that it can feed to any station that wants to affiliate to the network. And in markets that have a CTV station, CTV can place the /A\ channel program block on their CTV secondary DT channel. That way CTV gets to keep their dumping ground network in their hands, but local current /A\ stations go free to serve their communities as they feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.