Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

BBC World News made in SD widescreen

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  2415 
#1 ·
Do you know that BBC World News is now in SD widescreen? The international news channel owned by the BBC went widescreen probably in 2007. It's real, so see this (from a British website):

Although its graphics are in 4:3 safe area, it is broadcasting in 14:9 on a 4:3 version of this channel (with top and bottom black bars).

The widescreen version of BBC World News is not available in Canada (using the 4:3 version), but I think it's available in Europe (excluding the UK). I saw BBC World News on KCTS-DT (the HD version, where I have it on Bell TV) and it's in 4:3 version instead of a widescreen version.

You can see more pictures of BBC World News in widescreen here, but if you see some images that just says "BBC News" at the bottom in addition to the clock, it's from the BBC News Channel (which is available only in the UK and is commercial free) where BBC World News programs are simulcasting on this channel.

See less See more
#3 ·
FWIW, I just tuned to BBC World on Rogers ch 37 and saw a letterbox that was the same width as a SD screen, but with narrower bars than typical letterbox. I guess that's the 14:9 (I wonder where they got that ratio?) wide screen on SD channel.

IIRC, there's also a 5:3 format in Europe.

#4 ·
I guess that's the 14:9 (I wonder where they got that ratio?) wide screen on SD channel.
BBC World News broadcasts in SD, not HD as BBC News does not have HD equipment.

IIRC, there's also a 5:3 format in Europe.
I think you're right about this. BBC World News broadcasts in three aspect ratio versions, made in SD; 4:3 (with 14:9 letterbox), 16:9 widescreen and 5:3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.