Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

OTA: Ontario Parts, Sales, Service, Installers

395K views 1K replies 458 participants last post by  folcan99 
#1 ·
I got a CM4248 from V&E Antenna in Thornhill. I've got it mounted on my rooftop and I use a rotor to fine tune.

#956 ·
Ottawa OTA supplies available at FTAtronix

I was in FTAtronix on Carling at Broadview in Ottawa earlier today. They have some Antennas Direct UHF/VHF combiners for about 20 bucks.

As for the digi-c-r-a-p that they have for sale, they will admit that they are not high quality, so don't worry about them steering you wrong. They also sell Channel Master, Antennas Direct, and Winegard antennas, as well as Wade telescoping masts. I also saw an AntennaCraft rotor there.

#958 ·
I noticed that Newark Electronics sells some Antennacraft and Channel Master stuff (do a search as it is scattered under strange categories). Prices while not amazing, don't seem too bad and I believe they will ship from a Canadian address, avoiding brokerage (needs to be confirmed though).

#959 ·
Kitchener-Waterloo OTA/Satellite Retailer

Was pleasantly surprised to find Research Electronics on Frobisher Drive in Waterloo today. More importantly, they are probably the only local retail location to sell Antennas Direct products. They also carry Channel Master and brands which shall not be discussed here.

Good service, and decent pricing.

#960 ·
Being ill at ease climbing a ladder to my roof, I'm looking for an installer (or volunteer) to work with me on revamping my chimney mount antenna installation (mast and mount are 15 years old), middle Toronto. I have the ladder but not the nerve!

My chimney mount currently has a 4221HD 4-bay UHF antenna which is not as good as I'd ideally like (but not sure if an 8-bay is the answer) and a 2 foot FM yagi (and I have a 10 footer to replace it to get PBS-FM-HD from Buffalo better).

Problem for me in working with an installer are I can't say now what I need to replace on the roof at this point so I need a kind of exploratory visit or flexible hourly billing or something open-ended with an authentically knowledgeable person.

And needless to add, I'm too much of a do-it-yourselfer to feel good about parting with $300 for an hours' work.

Any guidance and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Ben

#962 ·
Installers of T.V. Tower

Hi,
I am Looking for a Installer for a T.V. Tower or repair of one in the Mississauga, Ontario Area just off of Trustcott Dr. West of Southdown Rd. If you know anyone that does that kind of job let me know and also the phone number. Thank you. I am not sure if this is the Place to Post this. If not can you Please post it in the right location. Thank you.
Ted+

#1,003 ·
"Channel One Antenna" is an OTA/CCTV installer company that services the GTA and Niagara. Has anyone dealt with them and how was it?

A little late to your inquiry, but this information may help someone else.
They did an ok job on the install, and their quoted prices are inline with everyone else for a typical install.

But once they are on the roof, they really try hard to up-sell you on some small stuff (like $120 for a preamp that you can get at walmart for $12.99, or charging an extra $85 for grounding the antenna.

They also have a maximum 57km/h wind warranty stated right on the invoice, so the first spring wind gust and your on your own.. regardless if they just installed it a week before!
Not sure if thats the norm, but it was a surprise to me!

#968 ·
Installer in the Ottawa Area

It was mentioned here once before but it bears repeating.

I had Gary Richards from GR Tech assist me recently with a roof top antenna install and pre-amp set up. He spent a few hours helping me get reception of all of the locally available OTA signals and I couldn't be happier with the whole experience.

Gary has 20+ years experience in the cable/satellite/antenna industry and so has a wealth of experience. He also was patient enough to listen to my plans (present and maybe future) and make some recommendations regarding setups.

He supplied the hardware for the install (antenna & mount, pre-amp and cabling) and his pricing was very fair in my opinion.

He mentioned working in all areas of Ottawa as well as some work in Gatineau as well.

Contact Gary at: garyrichards221 [at] rogers.com
if you have any installation or equipment needs.

#972 ·
Mississauga OTA antenna installer

Hi all, I'm looking for a recommendation for an installer that will recommend and install an antenna on my 3-storey townhouse in North/Central Mississauga. Great, clear line of sight Southbound, but I've got a high roof line so I need an install for which this will not be a problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

#974 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me if there are any retailer sell the following in GTA (east of Yonge preferably)

- Filter that filtered out 860 Mhz+ (i.e. high rejection at 860+ Mhz, are they called Attenuators?)
- Bi directional 4 way splitter (10 - 1500 or higher)
- Diplexer (10-860, 900-1500 or higher)

Thanks

#975 ·
elty,

Check out Tin Lee Electronics for the filter. Save & Replay in Mississauga should have the splitter and diplexer (I'm not aware of a retailer that would carry such specialty items in Toronto east of Yonge).

Tin Lee can custom build attenuators or low-pass filters with the amount of attenuation required. Though in my opinion, you may want to look at a low-pass filter that includes the 700MHz band (above channel 51), as it will soon be in use for cellular/wireless data.

#976 ·
Cheapest place in GTA for OTA HD reciever

I'm looking for a place that sells an OTA HD reciever with HDMI output for a reasonable price. Under $100. I saw factory direct had some for $39 but they are all sold out. If anyone knows of any liquidators that might have one, pls post.
Thanks

#979 ·
Recommend Installer-Cawthra/QEW Lakeview Area???

Hi Everyone:

We're new to this site and are looking for an installer in the South Mississauga area. Does any one have anyone they can recommend? We're hoping the installer can help us choose the best antenna also.
Thanks for your help in advance! Much appreciated!:D

#980 ·
drsat.ca in oakville, fta satellite forum sponsor here, also does OTA antenna system installs.
http://www.drsat.ca

dunno if that's close enough for you, as I'm in the states:)

#982 ·
I can recommend these guys who just did my install in North Mississauga. Let them know that Michael Lee from Mississauga sent you.
Could you please post pictures of the install they did, especially the grounding of your antenna? We normally don't comment on our competitors but we had a few jobs in order to fix inadequate grounding on SkyTune installations. They don't ground the antenna mast and use a small piece of 18 or 20 AWG braided (i.e. speaker wire) rather than solid copper wire in order to connect the splitter used as a ground block to the indoor panel ground.

Also, how long did it take them to do your installation?

Regards,

Dr. Sat

#983 ·
No time for pictures - I'm busy and traveling this week. The install took a few hours, and given that I have a very high roofline I expected as much. They tacked the coax line down neatly down the brick of my house, into my utility room as I asked. They most certainly DID NOT use speaker wire to ground my line! The grounding wire is solid copper, grounding to the same location as other items I already have in the same room.

#984 ·
grounding to the same location as other items I already have in the same room.
The grounding block should be outside your home, just before the cable enters your house and wired directly to a dedicated grounding rod for your antenna (the mast should also be connected to this grounding rod). There should also be a 6 AWG bonding wire from the grounding rod to your electrical ground to ensure the ground potentials are the same. See the thread Grounding Info & Standards: OTA/Dish/CATV/Telecom for details and further discussion on grounding.

#985 ·
Ready to go big

Hello all,

I've been a long time reader here, great information, community and advice. I've been getting solid signal of Toronto-based stations for years now but looking to upgrade to pickup US OTA broadcasts.
Has anyone dealt with xtek.ca? are they reputable? Perhaps sensuz or saveandreplay are better? Thoughts please.