How many receivers on a Star Choice account - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 2007-09-06, 11:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
All was working fine untill I added a 500 to the basement with a splitter on the feed, one to the 401 and one to the 500, not all the channels work etc
There is a splitter made for satellite systems, I bought one at Canadian Tire. I have a stacked dish with a 2 X 4 multiswitch running 5 receivers. Problems only arise if you try to switch satellites with one of the receivers on that circuit. Since most of the SD channels are on one satellite, lock out with the parental controls all the HD channels and any on that same satellite. Then there is least chance to switch over, since those particular channels won't show in the guide. Your 500 will only be good for SD channels starting this month anyway. Of course, a bigger multiswitch WILL do the job but ensuring that each of the split receivers stays on the SD satellite WILL also work.
I have one line split to a 401 and 405. My wife saw the HD channels on the 405's guide and tuned in only to find no video, naturally. When I went later to use the 401 in another room, which I use for recording to a VCR, I got "No signal" until the 405 was switched back to any SD channel. Once you understand this limitation things should work, at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 2007-09-06, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. So lets get this clear/straight?
- I can run a third line (I thought that was an option, but want to try to avoid that,as it as really a big job)
- I can change "the 2x2 multiswitch at the dish to a 2x4"?? I did not realize there is a switch at the dish, if so where is it and what is its purpose?
-Or I can lock all the HD channels out. This seems to be the best option at the moment but I just want to clear some things up. If one receiver is watching one SD channel can the other watch another SD channel. (Neither are HD TVs so they will not be using those channels anyway). Are all the SD channels on the same satellite or does that make a difference anyway? Is the splitter that does this a "switch" or a "splitter", is the splitter different from a regular cable splitter?
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 2007-09-06, 03:32 PM
Veteran

Splitting the line will only be successful if you have a "stacked" dish.
If you have two lines coming from the LNB's, there should be at least a 2 x 2 multiswitch connected, either at the dish or somewhere downline. This switch acts to change from Sat A to Sat B when required. If there is no switch inline, it is only seeing one satellite.
A split line will operate 2 STB's and you can watch different channels on the same satellite. I am using (I just crawled behind the "stage" to find out) a Radio Shack #15-8338 "High Performance 2 way splitter". I would guess that The Source might sell the equivalent. I paid about $20. It would be the cheapest and easiest way to go if you have a "stacked" dish and lock out the unused satellite.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 2007-09-12, 06:09 PM

With more than 2 receivers, do you pay a $4.99 multiple receiver charge for each extra receiver, or will the $4.99 cover all of the additional receivers. I'm thinking of adding 3 more in addition to the 2 I now have.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 2007-09-12, 06:20 PM

$4.99 is a "Multi-Reciever Fee" for any amount of extra recievers (up to 6?)

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 2007-09-12, 08:34 PM

Thanks, magnet!
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 2007-09-13, 02:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
$4.99 is a "Multi-Reciever Fee" for any amount of extra recievers (up to 6?)
That's "up to a maximum of 6" receivers total, not 6 extra receivers.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-02-01, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Hi all, I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any updates to the policy that Shaw Direct has the amount of multiple receivers or if there has been any changes in the pattern of them checking for multiple locations of the receivers on the account.

I thought at one time there was talk that if you had a cottage, there was an allowance for having a receiver setup there, or is this not the case?

Any info that's different then what's here is appreciated!

Thanks.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-02-01, 11:54 PM

there's been rumors they would shut down your receivers at home when you go to the cottage or south for the winter and you would have to give them the serial number of the one(s) you were taking. i still see lot's of instances though where the parents are in arizona and one of the kids are watching tv at the home in canada "house-sitting"
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-01-25, 08:08 PM

Old thread resurrection. Is there anyway they will let me have 8 receivers ? I have 4 tvs in one room ( 3 mounted side by side ) and 1 behind the bar. Then living room and 3 bedrooms. I'd even want 1 in the garage and my gym to.be honest so 8 wouldn't be enough. If they came to do the install and saw that I actually have that many tvs in my house, why wouldn't they allow it ?
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-01-25, 10:47 PM

interesting. I had six for a while, but all six tvs weren't being watched at the same time. I have a couple really long HDMI cables (25 and 50) that I use to connect the receivers to tvs far away, and then connect via component to the tvs nearby
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-01-25, 11:30 PM

I've thought of running hdmi cables but to complicated to fish all that
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-01-26, 11:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny001 View Post
Old thread resurrection. Is there anyway they will let me have 8 receivers ? I have 4 tvs in one room ( 3 mounted side by side ) and 1 behind the bar. Then living room and 3 bedrooms. I'd even want 1 in the garage and my gym to.be honest so 8 wouldn't be enough. If they came to do the install and saw that I actually have that many tvs in my house, why wouldn't they allow it ?
No, because it's their rule. You can have more than six but you need to open a second account. You make it sound like if you have that many, it's automatically some type of fraud.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 06:31 AM

Am I wrong ? Obviously if they have that rule, they assume you're a fraud if you have/want that many receivers. This day and age, it's not uncommon for a house hold to have a TV in every room of the house.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 07:22 AM

It could well be a limitation of their systems for billing etc as well.

With Bell TV, even a Hotel that has 48 receivers in a Headend System, has 8 accounts, 1 main and 7 slave accounts, this is because their system will not handle more than 6 receivers per account.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.