Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-04-19, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1

Edit by 57. Note that the new G1 satellite will have a footprint that will not allow viewing very far south of Canada, depending on dish size. You will likely not be able to receive channels on G1 if you're far south of Canada (about 1/2 way between Canada and Mexico).

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Footprint: http://www.telesat.com Choose Satellite from list

Channels on G1: Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums also, Click the channel lineup link on the following web-page and the MPEG4 channels listed should be on G1?

Shaw Direct - Satellite TV Packages, Satellite Services / Prices - Shaw Direct

If you get a channel sometimes, but not at other times, it could be a simsub issue with one channel on one satellite and the simsub on G1, which you cannot get very far south of Canada. Discussed in the following posts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-s...ml#post2613761 Post 879 onwards.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-s...ml#post2643337 Post 932-934

Another edit by 57 - if you wish to discuss HAFH (home away from home changes) please use the following link:

Home Away From Home Program - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Here is the method for switching your receiver to accept the Dual Quad or the Triple xKu LNB. This is temporary and goes away if your receiver reboots, etc.

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1

I'm currently an Expressvu client, with the 9200 HD PVR. I'm very happy with the hardware, but have had the usual issues with customer service.

I have a second home in Mexico and am thinking about switching to StarChoice so I can take advantage of the home away from home offering. That is to say, I would install the DVR 530 at my house in Canada, then take a second dish and the receiver to Mexico in the fall to use it there for the winter.

Has anyone else done this? I believe StarChoice works in Mexico, but I'm not sure about HD. There are installers there who are familiar with StarChoice.

Also, I'm sure what I'm planning is technically illegal. Does anyone know how cooperative StarChoice is with clients using the service out of the country?

The only other alternative I might consider, since BEV doesn't work in Mexico, is to get a Dish network subscription for my Mexican house. That way I could get a 9200 equivalent receiver. But then I'm stuck with 2 subscriptions.

I would appreciate any advice.

Dan

Last edited by 57; 2013-06-29 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Add Edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-04-19, 04:57 PM
ARR

Since we know first hand that both F1 and F2 and Starchoice work in San Diego, and the published footprints say Mexico should be OK.
You might want to grap the E75 just to be safe.

I know in dealing with them, they will help as best they can, but only dealing with equipment in Canada for shipping purposes.

They have a fair bit of out of country viewers, wintering Canadians of course.
post #3 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-04-19, 06:22 PM

I have had Bell customer's switch to SC just for this reason, so they can get Canadian tv down south for snowbirds.

post #4 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-04-19, 09:35 PM

Works well in north central Florida, but like ARR said you will likely need the E75 dish .
post #5 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-04-20, 04:41 AM

I have lots of snowbird customers using the HAFH in Mexico. I always sent them the 75 cm elliptical dish so I don't know if a 60 would work. Some of them called back to get directions/instructions on how to aim but so far it worked for all of them.
post #6 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-04-20, 07:07 AM

If they in the Mexico Cty or area or further south they will need individual 1 meter dishes pointed at each satellite. This is due to lower signal strength in the deep south on F1R vs F1.
post #7 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 03:33 AM

Unhappy Satellite TV in mexico

We have a condo in Manzanillo,which is on the Pacific coast west of Guadalajara. Several friends there have Star Choice subscriptions, and get normal reception. It is on the fringe of the beam apparently, so it requires the use of an elliptical antenna.
I have a Bell Express Vu subscription in Canada, so I took my receiver down with me this past winter, along with a standard dish antenna. However,no signal could be obtained, apparently as the satellite beam is not directed southwards ,as is that for Star Choice, even though both systems have their satellites located at the equator. I don't know if HD works with either, but a friend who is building a house there has taken an HD receiver down and we will find out in the coming months.
The local installers seem to be quite capable of setting up the systems. I am aware that all of this is not quite legal, in international terms, but if the subscription is paid for, it shouldn't matter where the receiver happens to be, particularly if it is only for the winter months.
So, after no reception for the past few months, I have brought home my new ( useless) antenna , and Bell receiver, and before going south for the winter, I will get a Star Choice subscription, a receiver, and a large elliptical antenna, and I expect to be able to watch TV just as I would at home in Ontario (between strolls on the beach and after drinks at sunset on the terrace!!)
I definitely prefer Bell Express Vu, but will find Star Choice acceptable.
Dougw
post #8 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 08:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
(between strolls on the beach and after drinks at sunset on the terrace!!)
I know how Hugh hates to hear the word sucks, but that REALLY does
post #9 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 01:29 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
We rented a penthouse in PV last Feb and the landlord has *C even though they are from Bellevue WA. Works just fine. The footprint extends down south of Acapulco. Friends from Denver also bought *C for the home in the Marina.

The only thing wierd is that the time is shown as 1 hour ahead of Toronto (Maritime) even though PV is on Central Time. We set the VCR to *C time just to avoid confusion. So prime time starts at 7pm instead of 8pm from networks in Toronto, Detroit or Buffalo.
post #10 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-04-23, 10:15 AM

Quote:
The only thing wierd is that the time is shown as 1 hour ahead of Toronto (Maritime) even though PV is on Central Time.
The unit must have been register to an address in the maritime I guess
post #11 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-04-25, 10:58 AM

Star Choice in mexico

Further to my post of 21 April, I have seen a post on another website from someone who has Star Choice HD in the Lake Chapala area, which is near Guadalajara, and he reports he has good reception. Dougw
post #12 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-04-25, 12:43 PM
Veteran

You can add my parents to that list dougw001. They live on Lake Chapala between the villages of Chapala and Ajjic. Reception is A-OK for them even during the rainy season when the rain can be quite heavy.
post #13 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-05-02, 09:55 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
I adore Puerto Vallarta, and Guadalajara. If I had the choice to live there several months of the year I would. And now I know Star Choice would be My Choice for Canadian TV provider. Thanks!
post #14 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-05-03, 01:05 AM

If only that darn SatMex Bird at 116.8W would get the heck out of the way for Anik F3.... :P
post #15 of 1165 (permalink) Old 2007-05-23, 12:00 AM

3 hrs south of PV

We have excellent reception with the 75cm elliptical and have several neighbours receiving HD with the 60cm dish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.