Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-01-30, 05:46 PM
Rookie

Star choice service in puerto vallarta?

Can anyone tell me where can i contract and get star choice installed service in puerto vallarta?

Thanks

Last edited by barsaro; 2010-01-30 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 12:48 PM

Location: Salmon Arm, Samsung LN-T5265F, DCT-6416, B-Ray, Yamaha 6080, Energy Surround, Velodyne DPS-12B Sub.
HD-PVR in Mexico?

Hi All
Currently we have a round 1.2m dish to pick up shaw direct in Manzanillo, all works fine but we would like to get a PVR next year, I spoke with shaw and they say we need to change to round dish for an elliptical with the big LNB array. Has anyone done this in Mex? does a standard elliptical work in mex or do you need a larger one, if so where can you get one?

Ltos of questions I know, sorry...
CMack

If you want my Cable Modem, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands...

Last edited by 57; 2010-03-30 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
post #78 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 11:14 AM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
I have a 75cm elliptical disk which I purchased from a local supplier. Works great for HD except for FoxR.

post #79 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-04-07, 11:57 AM

Location: Salmon Arm, Samsung LN-T5265F, DCT-6416, B-Ray, Yamaha 6080, Energy Surround, Velodyne DPS-12B Sub.
Where abouts in Mex is it located kcowan?

post #80 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-04-09, 09:32 AM

Sorry for missing your post... a standard Shaw elliptical dish, with the dual/quad LNB, works for HD in Mexico. Not the strongest signal, but doesn't seem to matter. the slightly larger dish works slightly better.

... Mike
post #81 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-04-12, 09:12 AM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmackay View Post
Where abouts in Mex is it located kcowan?
Like my location says: PV

Shaw signals are good down to Acapulco but further south the signal is weaker.
post #82 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-04-12, 01:13 PM

I should be good then, I'm in Manzanillo. Hopefully I can find a local dealer that sells the elipticle dish.

post #83 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmackay View Post
I should be good then, I'm in Manzanillo. Hopefully I can find a local dealer that sells the elipticle dish.
Talk to some Canadians. You will find a dealer quickly.
post #84 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-05-29, 12:42 AM
Rookie

Starchoice in Cabo San Lucas

Looking at getting hooked up at our condo in Cabo. Todos Santos installer is very expensive so planning on getting receivers down in luggage during our flyins. If the E75 dish quad LNB will work there satisfactorily then should be able to pay extra luggage cost and take it on plane also? Will be a roof mount with unobstructed veiws of satelites.Will this work or will there be extra duties/taxes from mexico when I arrive with the dish and receivers. Not planning on driving down for some time. Any help on my problem is appreciated.

Rick
post #85 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-05-29, 01:28 AM

You are allowed to bring all kinds of personal stuff into Mexico. Particularly when you drive in. But there should be no duty on something like a dish; we have brought down two at a time via the airlines as "extra baggage". MUCH cheaper than sourcing the equipment here, where prices can easily reach four times the purchase price in Canada.

In the Ottawa area at least, you don't get the dish when you buy a package at the retailers: it comes with the installation. So, we had the installer bring and hook up our dishes to our picnic table, register the boxes, and make sure everything worked. Then we brought the stuff down.

The larger dish you are talking about is perfect for reception of HD down here.

... Mike
post #86 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-05-29, 05:14 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your help Mike thats what I wanted to hear. Planning on taking lots of stuff down this way-they just don't make things the same down there. I have a dish and LNB in the box from about 4 years ago whats the chance the LNB is still compatible(only a dual but thats OK).
post #87 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-05-29, 05:40 PM

Others will be able to answer that better: I have what they called the dual-quad LNB: dual for the HD, and quad output for up to four connections. It's seven or eight years old.

... Mike
post #88 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-05-30, 08:53 PM
Rookie

75 E dish

I am looking for a 75 E Starchoice dish locally to take to Mexico. I have a few people calling with eliptical dish but do not know model # or size. What is the length/width measurements are they straight across or follow the concave. Also I have found round 1 m and 1.2 m dishs in mexico close to where I am. Is it possible to use these with starchoice LNB setup. It sounds to me like the eliptical dish is used to pickup the two different starchoice satellites by using just the one dish where the round dishes would require the use of two dishes to pickup up both anik satellites. Also is there enough programming options from using just either one of the satellites. Not too concerned with sports channels or french channels. On a fast learning curve here trying to get things together by the time I leave at the end of June.

Thanks Rick
post #89 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Also is there enough programming options from using just either one of the satellites
Yes. I have a Patriot 85e dish with an Pansat 5600 LNB pointed at Anik F2 only and it works just fine, as I am interested only in French.

In general, HD and French comes from F2, English comes from F1R. There are some exceptions though. Here's a good guide:

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/shawf1_chno.html
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/shawf2_chno.html

The channels that are colored green in on the above pages are HD.

You can also use two generic dishes like mine connected with a switch in lieu of the standard Shaw dish if you want to get your full package.

Quote:
I have a few people calling with eliptical dish
Be careful with this. The Anik satellites are approximately 4 degrees apart in space. The distance between the "little white circles" on the LNB is critical to proper reception. If you purchase a third-party dish with the hope of receiving the Aniks, be sure that the LNB they sell you will work for 4-degree satellite spacing. I know there are some out there, but I've not heard how/if they work with Shaw. Such LNB's require a special manufacture.....if you examine a standard Shaw quad LNB, you will notice how the "circles" actually touch and, in fact, overlap each other. Without such a specially constructed LNB, you will not be able to capture signals from two satellites with a 4-degree spacing using a single dish. And, if you try to cobble 2 LNB's together on a single dish, the physical size of the 2 LNB's will prevent you from getting them set at the proper spacing.

Also, if you go with a third party dish/LNB, be sure it can receive Ku band signals. This rules out the dishes used by the two American satellite providers.

Quote:
What is the length/width measurements are they straight across or follow the concave.
Can't help you with this one..... The 75e is nominally 75cm in the horizontal dimension, but as to exact dimensions, maybe some else will respond. But, in truth, it's not the exact dimensions that are important. The size of the dish determines how much signal it can capture. The further south you go, the weaker the signal, the larger dish that is needed. For Mexico, anything in the neighborhood of 75cm & up should get you enough signal.

If you want to purchase a 75e (don't buy a 60e for Mexico, it's too small) sent me a pm. I can recommend a vendor in Montreal.

Last edited by joshuals; 2010-05-31 at 11:15 AM.
post #90 of 1174 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 01:51 PM
Rookie

kingrich, the 75E will work great for you in that location. I am in Mazatlan and brought mine down on Westjet for oversize luggage fee. You will get the 75E for free when you sign up for the Home Away from Home package for $99.00. We felt that was the way to go because we wanted the HD receiver. The 60E works great here too, but it doesn't pick up the HD Channels or French (if that's a concern). Also, not sure how 60E works when the heavy rains set in, but others say it's okay. (I have an old 60E as a spare in case a hurricane blows down our 75E). Friends say the 60E gets a better reception than DISH network system they previously had. Our local technicians can rig any dish to receive Starchoice/Shaw signals, so for those without the dish, it's not a huge problem. The account and receivers are the key.

Right above where the "eyes" are (sorry, not too technical) on top, engraved in the plastic it is clearly noted 60E or 75E. Have them check that before buying the wrong dish, as we once did. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Canexican; 2010-05-31 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.