Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2009-07-28, 09:15 AM
Rookie

60E update in PV

As posted above I have a 60E dish in Puerto Vallarta. So far into this rainy season there have been no problems, signal strength is around 70. Small disturbances at the begininning of a storm but it locks in in about 6-7 mins then, no problem. I don't have an HD receiver there but I will take one down later and see if I'm getting both satellites. The guys in Mexico that will sell you a dish and installed it want BIG BUCKS. I'm just your average handy guy with no previous knowledge of satellite install and I did it, easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2009-08-02, 04:04 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
During heavy rains, HD reception pixelates really badly but SD works OK. Fox HD pixelates even in good weather.

(In PV - Alta Vista with a 75cm dish.)
post #63 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 11:08 AM
Rookie

Looking for..

Hi!

Im a Mexican who wants to have HD programming from CANADA.

So, Im looking to buy a receiver for me and another for my dad, here in Mexico, we have NO HD programming, so, I just bought this LCD HD TV, for NOTHING! I want to take advantage of it.

Ok ok... I WANT to buy two receivers, HD receivers, I would prefer the DSR instead of the PVR, I want to WATCH HD! who can help me? I live in Colima (near to Manzanillo, 1 hour, and near to chapala, 2 hours)...

If someone from manzanillo wants to sell theirs receivers, HERE I can pay you... maybe you can upgrade!

Also, Im looking for help of HOW can I have my contract with Shaw, Have a valid paypal, have a valid credit card number, Im paying cable here in Colima and my new TV looks BAD! Want to take advantage PLEASE HELP ME BROTHERS FROM CANADA!

Thanks everyone.

post #64 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 07:54 AM
Rookie

Question Can not locate anik f2 at my winter house in Puerto Vallarta,

I have 2 1.20m dishes, a local user told me that was the best way to get the best signal strength down here was with the use of 2 separate dishes.

The problem I have is that I can not find anik f2 at 111.1 satellite ! anik f1 at 107.3 was no problem at all.

I used to live in Chicago and used to have a dish network system there, on a dish network receiver I can go on the setup screen and enter the satellite I am trying to locate, then the receiver is the perfect tool for satellite aiming.
On my shaw direct receiver I have no way (at least I have no not found it yet) to let the receiver know which satellite I am aiming my dish to.

HELP ! I am missing my nfl games on sunday ticket !

Any ideas ?

I am at my winter house in Puerto Vallarta. I came a little early this year so I can be ready. One of the things I need to do is to install my brand new shaw direct system. I have some questions though I am a first time installer of this system.

Best regards

Edward
post #65 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 09:42 AM

http://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite...ing-canada.htm

Use this link, selecet F2 and click on your location, will give coordinates, squew, elevation etc.

Select an F2 channel say ch711 which is an SD F2 channel and pull up the signal meter, only F2 signal will give you a signal above 20 and green bar, low signal and red bar indicates wrong sat targeted.
Using a simple sat finder meter at the dish helps greatly is peaking dishes and finding the signal , good luck.
F2 is only 4 degrees to the west of F1 so should be easy to find unless you have something blocking signal, trees buildings etc.
post #66 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 07:17 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Thank you sirius guy

Thanks a lot sirius guy

I did what you told me and it worked !!!
post #67 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 09:41 PM

We can come visit for a week or so in Febuary, just to make sure everything is ok...
post #68 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2009-09-19, 09:22 PM
Rookie

Please stop by

Stop by please.

We usually stay until mid March.
post #69 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2009-09-20, 12:25 PM
Rookie

Starchoice in the south

As a snowbird, I used to have Expressview. It is not worth taking south as you loose most of the channels. Also, if they find you are in the South, they cut you off.
I switched to Starchoice. It works perfect all over the south, including Mazetlan, MX.
post #70 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 07:37 PM

Just moved to Manzanillo...

Was looking to get Canadian tv here too! So, based on what I am reading I need to subscribe to Star Choice!! I've been a Bell subscriber for years and hoped to bring a PVR down here and take advantage of the subscription I already have...

What sized dish do I need for the starchoice setup here then? Elliptical (for HD) but what size? Can I buy it locally??

Help Appreciated!

vfrbest
post #71 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 08:40 PM

Smile

.....StarChoice has been renamed ShawDirect.....

....I expect that the 75E dish would work....same dish that we have in Bedford, NS

DirecTV 1994-98...StarChoice/ShawDirect 1998-
post #72 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2010-01-18, 11:58 AM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
75E works for PV. Signal strength is 75 (3.8dB).
post #73 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 12:12 AM

In North Texas, my 75e also game me a minimum of 3.8 on some HD channels and it was good enough for clear weather and light rain. BUT, darker clouds = loss of HD signals. Heavy rain/Storm = loss of all channels.

I got so frustrated that I went with 2 seperate 90cm antennas pointing independantly at each bird. More than double my db readings and now it takes one heck of a storm to bring me down. This solution is of course more expensive and more invasive (two 90cm antennas next to one another is alot of antennas!) but it depends on how much you watch HD and how much it will affect your life balance if you loose signal in the middle of your favorite game/show!
post #74 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 11:41 PM

instead of 2 separate 90 cm dishes you could get a single 90 cm dish made by wave frontier. it's called a toroidal dish and has the ability to place an lnb on the dish every 4 degrees which covers the anik f1 and f2 satellites perfectly. if you wanted, you could add a dozen more lnbs to pick up more satellites. you would also need a 4 input 22khz multiswitch as well. wave frontier will also supply the type of linear lnbs that will mount on the dish.
post #75 of 1177 (permalink) Old 2010-01-25, 06:03 PM

With the 75E, we lose signal strength infrequently because the skies are cloudless. Except for FoxHD where heavy cloud in the evening can cause trouble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.