Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2007-05-23, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres
If only that darn SatMex Bird at 116.8W would get the heck out of the way for Anik F3...
yup - lets all throw rocks at it and destabilize it's orbit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2007-12-01, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddover View Post
I'm currently an Expressvu client, with the 9200 HD PVR. I'm very happy with the hardware, but have had the usual issues with customer service.

I have a second home in Mexico and am thinking about switching to StarChoice so I can take advantage of the home away from home offering. That is to say, I would install the DVR 530 at my house in Canada, then take a second dish and the receiver to Mexico in the fall to use it there for the winter.

Has anyone else done this? I believe StarChoice works in Mexico, but I'm not sure about HD. There are installers there who are familiar with StarChoice.

Also, I'm sure what I'm planning is technically illegal. Does anyone know how cooperative StarChoice is with clients using the service out of the country?

The only other alternative I might consider, since BEV doesn't work in Mexico, is to get a Dish network subscription for my Mexican house. That way I could get a 9200 equivalent receiver. But then I'm stuck with 2 subscriptions.

I would appreciate any advice.

Dan
I have the DSR505 StarChoice HD Receiver.

All the HD channels have a signal level in the llow to high 70s on Anik F2.

The regular non HD channels from Anik F1 come in with signal in the 40s+ range. A couple of peculiar ones such as City Toronto Ch 344 come in at 35 but the picture has no breakup. I might be able to work these a little higher but why?

If you are new to the game the first thing to do is make sure the dish mount is plumb. Very important.

My settings now on my E75 dish for a location north of Manzanillo are
Skew 102, Elevation all the way up about 75 degrees, Azimuth 192 degrees.

The HD channel pictures are spectacular. Bring on the Brier and Hearts!

Best regards,
Ronycoca
post #18 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2007-12-01, 11:48 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Anyone have direct experience of Star Choice in Puerto Vallarta? I understand the winter weather there is fabulous ....

post #19 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2007-12-02, 02:55 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57 View Post
We have excellent reception with the 75cm elliptical and have several neighbours receiving HD with the 60cm dish
Thanks for that. My new place in PV has a 60cm Sky dish installed so I will give it a try for HD rather than go to the 75cm right away.
post #20 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2007-12-05, 11:43 PM

Lake Chapala/Ajijic/Riberas/San Antonio

Lake Chapala is about an hour south of Guadalajara. It is the largest lake in Mexico, and surrounded by mountain ranges of various heights. The area is about 1 km above sea level. (Manzanillo, on the west coast, is about 1.5 hours south of Puerto Vallarta.)

I have a second home here, and even though I brought down the larger StarChoice elliptical dish, the smaller dish works perfectly well for receiving high-def channels, as Ronycoco points out, if you are careful to plumb your dish mount.

At the moment, mine isn't plumb; it's sighted by hand using a receiver and a small TV up on the roof, but I hope to correct that, soon. Meantime, the HiDef channels come in stronger than the regular channels... but only if everything is pointed well.

I lost some HD channels for "no apparent reason", talked to StarChoice several times about it, decided it was the 505 box. Eventually discovered it was the dish; it had slipped perhaps a little.

In any case, while the sat signals are definitely not as strong way down here, they are perfectly good for getting everything StarChoice has to offer (except, of course, PPV).

... Mike
post #21 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2008-01-13, 07:13 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Fingers crossed, I'll spend even more time in Puerto Vallarta as years go by; we definitely looked at real estate on that most recent trip.

Star Choice was covered in a recent article in the Guadalajara Reporter (the TechTalk column: Satellite TV in Jalisco). The author stated:

Quote:
Only Star Choice works well in Jalisco. ... Star Choice is the only source of US network programming (from Seattle, Spokane, Detroit and Buffalo) in Mexico. I especially like the fact that I can get my Seattle ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC station in HD format on Star Choice. ... Dish Network offers programming aimed at US audiences. Sadly, most of the local network stations are not available in Mexico because the network stations are spot beamed to specific locations and the signals are not strong enough to be received here. ... The satellite programming from SKY Mexico is mostly in Spanish. ... The signal strength of Star Choice and SKY Mexico are quite good in Jalisco, that's not the case with DISH Network. ... see how much of the equipment you can bring down from up north, where the costs are appreciably less than here.
post #22 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 01:53 PM

Location: Salmon Arm, Samsung LN-T5265F, DCT-6416, B-Ray, Yamaha 6080, Energy Surround, Velodyne DPS-12B Sub.
Starchoice In Mexico?

Was wondering if Starchoice will work in Mexico? And is there any issues authorizing boxes there?

CMack

If you want my Cable Modem, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands...
post #23 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2008-02-07, 11:42 AM

I am a *Choice sub living in PaaMul Mexico from October until April, just 55 miles south of Cancun right on the Caribbean Sea. There are around 200 other couples here, many from Canada, in particular Quebec and western provinces and the Yukon.

Using the 75cm dish, we have excellent reception on all channels.

Focusing the dish is a bit of a challenge, but with practice this becomes much easier.

An email to *Choice always gets our 530 and two 505's re-authorized promptly if we lose our authorization while driving from home to PaaMul which sometimes takes us a month or more because of sightseeing.

We see many *Choice subs on our Mexican travels, some from the USA. American sat TV is far less reliable here in PaaMul without a very large dish.

Hope this answers your question.
post #24 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2008-02-07, 11:53 AM

We have two 505's and a 530 here in PaaMul Mexico, 55 miles south of Cancun right on the Caribbean Sea. We live here from October till April of each year, then return our *Choice receivers to our home in Ontario.

We use the 75cm dish which is a bit of a challenge to focus, but once learned it is easy to repeat each year.

All channels including HD work perfectly with only temp LOS during strong thunderstorms or heavy cloud conditions with rain, just like at home.

There are many other *Choice subs here, including some Americans because their US sat systems do not work reliably here unless they have a very large dish.

Re-authorizations when required are requested via email which have always been promptly done without any question.
post #25 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2008-08-31, 05:00 PM
Rookie

Cool HI

Hi i was wondering if i can get star choice in cancun i mean i live in cancun and i would like to have it i will apriciate any comment.
thanx
post #26 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2008-08-31, 05:41 PM

If you are a Canadian you can get StarChoice and use it in Mexico just like I do.

If you are not a Canadian (not a requirement for use) you must have a reliable Canadian postal address.

Finally, I do hear from time to time that persons not Canadians, and not having a Canadian postal address, do get StarChoice but as for how they accomplish this, I am not aware. Perhaps they know Canadians who are StarChoice subscribers, and use their receivers etc.

I can tell you that StarChoice works perfectly in PaaMul so you know it will work just fine in Cancun.

I hope this has been helpful to you.
post #27 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2008-09-01, 09:19 AM

Dishes and Star Choice

Recently, acquaintances in Mexico who use round dishes instead of the Star Choice oval dish have reported: loss of some news channels in the low 500s, and inability to receive the SuperChannels.

The 500-series channel loss is temporary, sometimes lasting hours, sometimes days. There may be other channels gone at this time, but they don't surf enough to have noticed.

It is an absolute that SuperChannels cannot be received without an oval dish, and perhaps even the dual-quad LNB is necessary. I also know that precise positioning is required to maintain reception of HD channels consistently. Their channel loss is quite recent, so I don't think it is a question of positioning, but I could be wrong.

... Mike
post #28 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2008-09-06, 10:17 PM

I live in Cabo San Lucas for 1/2 the year.... There, we can get all the channels (SD & HDTV) during clear weather with the smaller elliptical dish, but the larger E75 dish is highly recommended because the signal is much stronger.... fewer problems with reception during rainy times.

Canadians, Americans, and even a few Mexicans (want their kids to learn English) have StarChoice service in Mexico.
post #29 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2008-09-23, 12:02 AM

Nothing illegal. You need to call them and ask to apply for the Home Away From Home.

You will have a registration fee of 49.99$ only. The dish will be provided. No extra charge for the 2nd location. And Star Choice is allowed anywhere where the signal can get to. So no problem for Mexico. You will just have to provide them with a proof that the place is yours (You know, to make sure all is legal heh) and all will be done.
post #30 of 1151 (permalink) Old 2008-09-23, 02:21 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
The way I interpret it, the $49 is for installation of the second dish in the Home Away program. No charge if you handle installation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.