New Firmware version 51.01 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-11-28, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

New Firmware version 51.01

Just received notice at noon today on my 605 that a new firmware version 51.01 has been targetted for upgrade. I haven't applied it yet. Said it will automatically be applied at 2:10 am tonite. I might try and do it this evening.

I checked my 630 and no notice yet of any firmare update.
QCK and RuralRouter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-11-28, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

In the mean time, I found a notice (with little detail) about this pending update from SD

Shaw Direct - 6XX receivers software update
ronycoca, QCK and RuralRouter like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 11:43 AM

Gone are the days when people would be going stir crazy for new firmware updates.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 12:24 PM

In all seriousness, the early days came with newbie bugs in the hardware and software; less so now. My 50.25 was OK, now I have 51.01 and I can't tell the difference on my 630.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Updates were applied on my 2 605's . I don't see anything different in terms of functionality. Seems to be working o.k. which is a good thing. I'm wondering what "other minor bug fixes" as noted in the link was done.

I'm still getting occasional audio dropouts and freezing/pixalizing on certain stations (mostly CNN) as noted in another thread here. I was hoping that they may have corrected this.

my 630 just got the notice for the update. (again at noon). I'll let it do it's thing tonite.

My 600 has not yet been targetted.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 01:54 PM

I wish the firmware was actually smart enough to try to accomodate the recordings even if it doesnt follow the priority list.
Sometimes a show that has higher priority makes other shows to not tape because the dvr forces it to be recorded first when if it recorded at later date would free up the slot for another show that only airs at that particular slot....
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 04:18 PM

One of my 630's has been nothing but trouble since the 51.01 download starting immediately after - freeze ups, rebooting, interrupted and corrupted recordings and failure to respond to remote commands being some of them. I suspect that there was a malfunction in the download. Can Shaw institute a redo on the download? I just tried a chat session. For some reason the agent suspected I was not in Canada. How would she know? She then had me turn to ch 700, reboot, then turn to ch 350 but the receiver would not go there. Now I see there is no ch. 350. Is this some trick that they have put in to see if your receiver is in Canada? If you are in Canada, what happens when you enter ch 350? She then wanted to schedule a service call which I had to do some quick talking to avoid. She claimed that they could not force a re download. If anyone has answers to any of my question I would greatly appreciate it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 05:20 PM

I have had no issue with this download. So unless they have built in something esoteric whereby if looks for the G1 bird if you have the xKu LNB to see if it is within the footprint I think the problem is with your box. A reboot or factory reset may be in order. The only other option is that your signal strength has also dropped and your dish needs a bit of adjustment. Have you checked your signal strength recently and do you know what it typically is.

There is a channel 350 if you have the classic lineup but not the advanced channel lineup. Channel 700 exists on both lineups.

You could try a reboot by pushing and holding the power button.
Unplugging the box for a minute or two and letting it reboot.

You could try a factory reset sequence. You would either have to have them reauthorize you receiver (through chat) or wait for the authorization codes to download in time. It may take a couple days, they cycle them periodically.

LOSat

Last edited by 57; 2017-12-13 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Info added from deleted post.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 06:24 PM

Now that you mention it, my 630 occasionally refuses to respond to the remote from time to time since the download. I thought it was the remote.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 09:13 PM

@ronsnbrd : You say one of your 630's is acting up. Are the other ones OK? If they are, then it looks like that unit could be defective. I just tuned to ch. 350 on my 630 and it does work (in the southern region).

I had to return three 630 pvr's in the last year with various problems and there were no software downloads just before the problems appeared.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 10:32 PM

@ronsnbrd

If you are using the classic lineup, 700 is SRC Montreal (French) and 350 is APTN, both Standard Definition channels. Both channels are in almost every programming package, and both channels come from either Anik F1R or Anik F2. So you should be able to receive them regardless of your location.

That being said, here's a couple of things to think about:

If you initiate a chat, it is technically possible for the chat person to see your IP address. That could reveal your location.

If you initiate a chat OR call Customer Service, and if you are using an xKu LNB but are outside the Anik G1 footprint, the Customer Service Rep could ask you to tune to a channel that comes from Anik G1 (which would be unsuccessful for you) and ask you questions about your reception, such as your signal strength or other technical data, which questions you would not able to answer. That could send up a red flag.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-12-14, 12:21 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
@JasperJoe : Sometimes the new firmware can change the sensitivity of the IR eye (circuit) and you'll end up with IR interference from items that previously didn't interfere, like the TV, CFLs, etc. Here's a thread on the topic:

Is your LCD (or Plasma, or other stuff) affecting your STB or PVR?

This has happened before with Bell and other providers. I can't remember if it happened with SD in the past.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-12-14, 04:23 AM

Thanks LONSat for the reply. My signal levels are fine, around 90 + or -, where they have always been. It froze up again this afternoon while I was just watching live. Did a front panel reset, it got stuck on "hold". Did a disconnect reset, same thing. Then disconnected everything and restarted with the external HD still disconnected (this is what I had to do right after the download) which finally brought it back to life. I deleted a manual recurring timer which seemed to be giving it trouble plus all other recurring timers and connected the EHD and did a front panel reset. It now seems to be working fine but I think I may need to do a factory reset some time.

One would think that the first thing the CSR would recognize when it wouldn't tune to ch 350 is that it was on the advanced lineup, but I guess she was so anxious to stop the criminals with receivers "outside the service area" that the obvious did not occur to her.

Last edited by ronsnbrd; 2017-12-14 at 01:29 PM. Reason: found answer to question
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-12-14, 09:29 AM

External Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsnbrd View Post
...Then disconnected everything and restarted with the external HD still disconnected (this is what I had to do right after the download) which finally brought it back to life.
I had an external drive connected to my 630. That drive now sits all by its lonesome in a closet. The mysterious problems disappeared - this was at least two updates back in time.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-12-14, 11:30 AM

Interesting on the external HardDrive "solution" . I have an external drive and have not had a problem with it and I do have the most up to date firmware. The only other thing I can think of is the quality of the power. Do you have a battery backup. It will help condition the power. Maybe the quality of the power is an issue. Drive specs may also be an issue. Is the external drive rated for PVR use?

LOSat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.