Lots of Audio Drop-Outs - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-27, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Lots of Audio Drop-Outs

CNN has lots of audio drop-outs.

We were watching THE FLASH on DVR from several weeks from WPIX HD - the picture went all blocky at times.

NBC evening news on Detroit HD has always had audio drop-outs, but CNN seems to be getting quite bad.

Is Shaw Direct trying to cram too much into less bandwidth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-27, 04:06 PM

Global is the only one we've had trouble with but not recently.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-29, 07:34 PM
Premium Supporter

CTV I have had audio dropouts as of late

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-29, 11:41 PM

We haven't had any dropouts are all yours on the same xpdr?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-30, 07:31 PM

Here in Kelowna with Shaw cable and finding brief audio dropouts on CNN HD (Local channel 220). Has been occurring for at least a week. Usually just a second or two. I was going to phone Shaw and ask whether they were aware of it. On the expectation of a long wait on the phone, I haven't made the fffort yet but if it continues I will as I am obviously not the only one with a problem with CNN but I wonder if it is different problems.

Alan

Gateway and 3 Portals, Samsung FP-T6374 TV, Panasonic DMR-E80, Denon AVR-3808, Sony CX777ES
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-31, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down New & Improved ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bealby View Post
Here in Kelowna with Shaw cable and finding brief audio dropouts on CNN HD ... I wonder if it is different problems.
It is my understanding that Shaw Cable get at least some of its programming feeds from Shaw Direct, the same source we receive as subscribers.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-11-03, 09:43 AM

Hey we are seeing lots of short audio and video dropouts on CNN and Global, and audio glitches on CBC News Network. Other channels may also have problems but those are the ones that we have noticed.

-- dave604
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-11-03, 12:58 PM

Noticing the same thing here in NS, dave604. Also on the western HD US Nets from Seattle.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-11-03, 04:51 PM

I had some audio glitches, stutters, digital hash on CBC News Network last night (recorded program), there was some heavy rain but the video didn't pixelate. I attributed it to the rain but as others have reported the issue I thought I would report my issue as well as it may be related. The signal strength was somewhat reduced because of the rain.

LOSat
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-11-04, 02:48 PM
Rookie

Audio & Video dropouts

I have also noticed audio & video dropouts on CNN HD lately. Has anyone inquired with Shaw Direct about this problem?

If anyone knows more about this problem I would appreciate to find out via this thread.

Thanks in advance.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 03:19 AM

also noticed these on KIRO 7, CBS Seattle during prime time and late night programming. Checked sat strength and it was listed as ‘Good’.
I thought my drive might finally be giving up, but it does appear to be transmission problems. What gives?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Red face A Fake SD Trouble Shoot

Sarcasm:

We've had no reports of these dropouts. If you have time I will help you troubleshoot YOUR receiver.

1. Are your connections tight. I'll hold while you check.
2. Go to the menu - blah blah blah. Do you have blah blah blah
3. Remove the power cord from the wall and count to - blah blah blah
4. I'll refresh your receiver - blah blah blah
5. I will wipe your drive and reinstall the firmware - blah blah blah
6. I will escalate this - blah blah blah

This conversation never took place, just a little devilish poking fun.
dave604 and Pathogen like this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-11-18, 01:21 AM
Rookie

While I don't have CNN nor am I getting dropouts, I am getting a nasty audio issue on at least a couple of channels, the volume levels change dramatically, not unlike when using a condenser microphone and bump it. Channels are SHOWCASE and ACTION. While I don't generally actually watch the commercials, I don't recall the issue occurring during them, only during the movies themselves. At first I thought it could be due to some old software used to compress the movie, but I noticed the same issue during brand new Mr Robot episode. At some point I plan to ask Shaw tech about this, but I expect the same cowardly response for such matters as I have received from the likes of HP and Rogers, the whole playing dumb and innocent routine.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-11-20, 09:15 AM
Rookie

I noticed the other day that HIFI channel handles this apparent (and silly) form of copy protection differently. On this channel, rather than effectively destroy watchability by randomly blowing out the audio level (which by the way is dramatically less intrusive when the audio is played through 50 cent TV speakers, rather than $1000 amp/speakers), the HIFI channel simply has complete sound dropouts at scene changes, which I am finding tolerable because it doesn't 'shock' me, and doesn't interfere with the dialog.

I watched 'Interstellar' today, but the audio was switching from inaudible to painfully loud, so I thought to do an HDMI bypass on the stereo, and try watching using the TV speakers, which made it tolerable.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-11-20, 01:06 PM
Veteran

When I had it, I noticed that Shaw Direct sometimes messed up audio encoding on their signals. Not sure what is going on with those channels but it could be a Shaw Direct transcoding issue. I don't have any issues with Showcase or CNN on another BDU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.