Installing the PVR830 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-09-17, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Installing the PVR830

I currently have a HDDSR600 installed as part of the LTSS (free local channels) service ton several years ago. Up until recently I have been recording shows using a DVD/VHS recorder, but it was accidently dropped when we were rearranging furniture, and no longer works.

I contacted Shaw to ask if I could purchase a PVR, and not violate the terms of my LTSS agreement. I was told that, yes I could, but would have to get an installer to install a second line at my own cost.

I have contacted the local installer, and have been told it would cost at least $100 to install. This is over and above the cost of purchasing the PVR from them. I think this is a bit steep.

I am wanting to understand what it meant by installing a second line. When the house was built 9 years ago, they put in 4 sattelite lines from a box on the eave, into the house. So, to me, installing a second line would mean just connecting the satellite to one of the existing unused feeds. And then moving the existing Master Bedroom feed to the Living room, to make two line going into the Living room.

Am I understanding this correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-09-18, 08:04 AM

So at some point in the house you have four separate lines coming in, and currently only two of those lines are connected to receivers and the other two "spare"? If so, then you have it right. You just need two wires to the 830, and one to the non-PVR receiver.

Brad.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-09-18, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Currently only one is connected to the receiver, as my current one is not a PVR. The other one was connected to the bedroom when I was using an antenna, but don't use it anymore. I would not be using the old receiver anymore, as I am only allowed one receiver as per the LTSS agreement.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-09-18, 10:20 AM

Not 100% clear what you're describing. Do you have four cables running from the actual satellite dish into your house? If so, you just need to attach two of them to your new 830 and you're good to go.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-09-18, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhlyss View Post
... installing a second line would mean just connecting the satellite to one of the existing unused feeds. And then moving the existing Master Bedroom feed to the Living room, to make two line going into the Living room.

Am I understanding this correctly?
Sounds easy. I don't see that there would be any problem. The installer would likely re-use the existing RG6 cable just as you describe.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-09-18, 11:57 AM

All you need is to connect a 2nd line to one of the 4 ports (3 spares) on the LNBF, then the other end of it needs to go to the 830. If there is no mad panic, just connect the 830 to the existing line feeding your old LTSS Receiver, it will work fine, albeit without being able to record one show while watching another, until you get the second line done.

Hope that makes sense.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-09-18, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanx, everyone. I figured it was something I could do on my own. Not worth the $100 for sure!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.