Space Channel/Star Trek no HD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-28, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
PSJ
Rookie

Space Channel/Star Trek no HD

On both my 600 and 605 receivers (on LG 32" LCD & LG 52" Plasma) all Star Trek episodes except the original series only show in letterbox on the HD channel. I have both receivers set to 1080p and have tried them on all settings but still wont show full screen HD . Changing the video setting on either TV makes no difference.

My question is, am I missing something or is it an issue with the broadcast from the Space Channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-28, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
PSJ
Rookie

I would like to make a correction. I just realized that it's not in letterbox but rather showing black borders on either side. The screen is full from top to bottom.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-28, 12:15 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I'm pretty sure these programmes (TNG, Voyager, DS9) were shot in 4:3, hence the "pillarboxing". There is nothing wrong with this display format since that's how they were originally filmed and shown on TV. I believe TOS is also 4:3 - I have the Blu-ray version of TOS episodes. I can't remember if Enterprise was 4:3 or 16:9.

Here's the Black Bar FAQ: FAQ - Black Bars - Why Do I Still Have These?

Here's a useful post: HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-28, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
PSJ
Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

TOS shows in full screen @ normal aspect on the receivers. I haven't tried Enterprise yet but IMDB says it's shot in 16:9.

Also, thanks for the links. I did try searching but got a message that I didn't have permission.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-28, 04:56 PM
Veteran

Enterprise on Space is 16:9 and for those of us who saw this series originally in 4:3 on our old CRT sets, watching it again on Space has been a real revelation.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 08:53 AM

TOS was remastered to HD a few years ago. Next Gen and DS9 have not (yet) been, to my knowledge. Enterprise was shot in HD.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 09:55 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsmicro View Post
TOS was remastered to HD a few years ago.
Yes it was, and as I mentioned, I have the BDs, however, it was remastered in the original 4:3, with very good video quality and "enhanced" effects if selected on the BD.

For example, at the end of "The Galileo Seven" when Spock ignites the fuel to "send up a flare" the "flare" when seen from the Enterprise is enhanced quite a bit on the enhanced version of the BD. There are other similar enhancements.

Some of the newer members to our forum may be wondering how you can make HD video out of such old programming. It's because much of this older programming, like movies, was shot on film rather than video tapes. There is more than enough "resolution" on film (35mm and larger) to provide excellent video. The audio is also often remastered.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 03:00 PM
Veteran

A lot of scripted TV was originally shot with film. However, there are some important considerations when remastering film for TV. One of the more interesting is that the original shoots were framed for 4:3 TV. That means that remastering in 16:9 would cause unintentional, negative side effects, such as including unwanted information on the sides. That's why a lot of the shows are remastered in 4:3 HD and not 16:9.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-30, 08:00 AM

Drifting ever-so-slightly off-topic, if y'all haven't had a chance to check out the "Star Trek Continues" web series at Star Trek Continues, you owe yourself a treat. Check out the details for yourself, but one of the original production decisions was to shoot & master in 4:3 HD, but keep the sets & props as faithful to the originals as possible. If you know your Trek, then you'll know that a lot of the sets & props were done "on the cheap", and STC specifically chose to maintain that level of <ahem> quality, but with an HD presentation. Worth checking out if you're a fan.

Brad.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-30, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Quote:
TOS was remastered to HD a few years ago.
Yes it was, and as I mentioned, I have the BDs, however, it was remastered in the original 4:3, with very good video quality and "enhanced" effects if selected on the BD...
It looks like CBS reissued TOS in HD 16:9 on DVD afterwards and this seems to be the version that they included in the syndication package. I looked at Space and it looks like the top and bottom of the picture were cropped - close-ups look too large and some other scenes look poorly framed. I don't have a 4:3 source to compare specific scenes, so I can't say for sure.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_T...stered_edition

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-12-30 at 06:58 PM. Reason: deleted unnecessary sentence

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.