Oct 2 7:14 PM All HD Absent (Anik F2 Service Being Restored) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 09:28 PM

It seems that all the Canadian HD channels are on except CBC Toronto. All the rest of the Ontario ones are working and most of them are on the second satellite...that should rule out batteries. All of the USA HD channels are out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 09:31 PM

Aren't a significant portion of the HD Canadian locals on G1?

Found this Tweet from a company called Galaxy Broadband: https://twitter.com/GalaxyBroadband/...44458815279104 It says that Telesat will have the services restored by tomorrow.

I can't find any official word from Telesat yet.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 09:34 PM

Shaw is posting regular updates here: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-8994

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 09:47 PM
Veteran

Looks like the 111 satellite is out to lunch.
Nothing but noise on Anik F2.

https://satsignature.com/plot/america/anik-f2

Click on Ku then Horiz or Vertical

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 10:15 PM

Not true. I watched the Jays game today on SportsNet HD.. and it is still OK on those channels which are all on F2. I have everything (broadcast channels) except the USA channels and CBC TO. Some specialty channels are out.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 10:17 PM
Veteran

Shaw Direct just tweeted out....

"The affected satellite performed emergency movements for reason that are currently under investigation. ETA is around 11:30AM ET. Thank you."

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 10:18 PM

Are you sure they are actually HD? Shaw Direct is redirect most of the F2 HD feeds to standard def on my end. Everything I'm seeing online says F2 is still completely dead right now.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 10:42 PM

My guess is they sent it commands related to sun transit that went awry, given it happened in early October both times and it was reportedly a software issue the last time.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 11:15 PM

Man o man ...I sure wish I would've checked this forum before going through my system up and down....pulling my hair out!! Im an idiot!
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-03, 12:01 AM

My 630 is not liking this one bit. If I tune into a channel that is out (channel 66 for example) the tuner gets locked up and will not reacquire signal when switched to a channel that works.
I have to reboot the unit for the tuner to work again.
Is anyone having the same thing too?
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-03, 12:03 AM

Official statement from Telesat: Interruption of Service on Telesat's Anik F2 Satellite - Financial Buzz

They say they are now in control of the satellite, but "Although there can be no assurance, we expect it will be returned to service by noon EDT tomorrow". Sounds like they still aren't sure what happened.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-03, 01:53 AM

Mine was doing this, then I figured out why: I had recordings set to fire, and the 630 couldn't find a decent channel to record from, so it kept hogging the tuners. Once I cancelled all upcoming recordings, I was able to tune in a working channel, like CBC News SD for example.

Sun spot outages are between Oct 4 and Oct 12 this fall. Maybe they were doing something preparing for that?
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-03, 04:05 AM
Rookie

Red face I just want to say a word for you, Shaw Direct customers with that Satelitte out

All channels located on 111.1W Anik F2 are out. Mostly french channels, that outeage is affecting more in Quebec than others provinces. All queues line was red all the evening and when I leave at the end my shift, we still having more than 1000 customers was wainting for someone with average 2h in waiting time. I would like to take that moment to say thank you to all customers I got over the phone in the technical support department for their patience, comprehension and mostly their respect for that loooong day we got. They ask every single person in my call center in Montreal to do overtime and get that issue under controlled. I'm just too scared to see how it's gonna be tomorrow.

Here, just a quick look on what we see all night.....

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-03, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Question Receiver "MAIL Message" not used

I'm sure that the Shaw Direct people are doing the best possible to handle a ton of calls from subscribers that have no idea if the problem is with their own equipment or somewhere in the ether.

I don't understand why Shaw does not take advantage of their "MAIL MESSAGE" capability on receivers. I checked our 630 and saw no messages.
BCScott likes this.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-10-03, 07:19 AM
Veteran

Honestly, Shaw Direct should have had a card or notice up on channel 299 telling its customers of the problem and post updates on this channel. Channel 299 is also used as their "Bookmark" channels that are placed around the channel lineup so I'm sure most subs would have seen this card eventually. They have a card up now on some channels but it doesn't give much info.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.