DVR SSD now OK? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert
  • 1 Post By TerryW58

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-06-01, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Question DVR SSD now OK?

SSD's (Solid State Drives) appear to be more robust than previously thought, at least for current Windows O/S.

Would SSD's be appropriate now for DVR use? See the article at the link shown below:

How To Geek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-06-01, 05:08 PM
Veteran

I hope SSDs have improved because I had a couple go bad from wear not long ago. They were out of warranty, of course. That article discusses the optimizations Windows does for SSD drives. It's possible, but unlikely, that PVRs will do the same. This is because many of them are using versions on Linux that is several years old or may have stripped down disk drivers that do not recognize SSDs. Therefore it would be wise to check that trim is enabled before installing an SSD in a PVR. It would also be wise to not fill up the drive since that can accelerate failure. Also note that switched on PVRs often write constantly to the drive, which will cause more wear than normal PC use.
RuralRouter likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-06-01, 07:11 PM
Rookie

I put a 256GB SSD in my 630 last February. It is still working fine after 16 months, no problems so far.
RuralRouter likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-06-04, 08:55 AM

What brand of SSD did you use TerryW58?

Last edited by 57; 2016-06-04 at 10:58 AM. Reason: UQR
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-06-04, 10:37 AM

Kingston SSDnow V300 is on sales at NCIX.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, i7-920@3.8Ghz
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-06-04, 05:20 PM
Rookie

I used a Kingston HyperX 256GB SSD. I didn't buy it for the 630, it was leftover after I replaced a computer and it seemed a waste for it to be just sitting on the shelf when I needed something to replace the HD in the 630 after the HD died.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-06-10, 02:01 PM

Did you put it IN the 630 or using it external? I would like to add one external, looking for proper enclosure and connector.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-06-10, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

I suggest that whatever enclosure you choose, make sure it has ventilation holes or otherwise cooled. I think I cooked the guts of my Velocity enclosure one summer day.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-06-10, 07:30 PM
Rookie

I used the SSD to replace the internal drive so it is inside the 630.

Prior to the original HD failing I had been experimenting with an external HD in a Rosewill enclosure but the results were intermittent, the 630 would randomly lose communication with the external drive and I would have to cycle the power off/on to get it back. In hindsight the unstable results I was getting were probably due the internal drive being on the verge of complete failure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.