Shaw Direct to transition to full MPEG-4 - See Post 1 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-28, 12:15 PM

Somehow I can't see a person going out on their own and buying a receiver if Shaw is going to replace the old ones with an MPEG 4 model.. Anyone that would have wanted HD up to this point would have done that already and the ones that haven't more then likely never would on their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-28, 01:13 PM

I thought G1 was nearly full, so if they are killing SD channels, that would free up space on F1R and F2, which I assume is where they will slot in the newer, HD channels? I'm not sure if G1 holds any SD channels, does it?
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-28, 01:43 PM

There are a bunch of small market CTV and SRC/CBC stations on one transponder and a couple others here and there on G1

LOSat

post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-28, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Is Shaw replacing HD receivers at no cost, like Bell did, or are they screwing them over again?
Bell didn't do that out of the goodness of their heart - it was part of a tangible benefits package that Bell proposed to the CRTC for the transfer of control of CTVglobemedia to Bell. The conversion to MPEG-4 freed up bandwidth to provide satellite carriage for an additional 43 local television services and cost $60 million. The total tangible benefits package was $239 million.

Source
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-28, 02:32 PM
Veteran

Bell/ExpressVu upgraded equipment and receivers at no cost at other times. They probably would have done the MPEG4 upgrade at no cost to customers anyway. Putting it in a tangible benefits package just greased the wheels with the CRTC. Compare that to Shaw who misrepresented 500 series receiver MPEG4 capabilities and tried to make customers pay again for 600 series receivers to get what they were promised 2 years earlier.
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-28, 04:31 PM
Veteran

Perhaps the 3 year time frame is so that skinny basic and a la carte take full effect and some of the specialties disappear. Hmmm we were going to transition and upgrade but they disappeared!
post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-28, 04:45 PM

I am sure there will be many changes along the way. Pick and Pay will have an impact. Spike, BET, AMC among others could play hardball and pull their signals from Canada.

In addition to no CTV2 HD being added I am surprised that BBC Canada, Viceland, a couple Global and City channels that are not small market seem to be left with an SD feed. I am sure there will be many changes as the market evolves but as I stated before the timeline seems overly long.
RuralRouter likes this.

LOSat
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-28, 07:03 PM

I'm sure Lonsat there will be many changes before it is all said and done. I can't see them not offering some incentive (unless it's change it or lose it) to upgrade to customers that have not done so. Playing hardball would just drive people away. I live in a very rural small town in B.C and all though there is cable ( no HD content at all ) you have a choice of Bell Telus Sat (Bell again lol) or what a lot of people are doing streaming either Android units (G-Box) or Netflix.
post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-29, 08:41 AM

This is very interesting but also quite confusing. The conversion to MPEG4 seems to imply that after the transition, all channels that are remaining would be in HD. But looking at the Final Outcome file that Shaw has published, there are still a ton of SD channels left. I'm not sure I understand why there still needs to be leftover SD channels especially since everyone will now need to get 600 or later receivers to get any signal at all.

The argument in the past was always "Shaw can't get rid of SD channels because too many people still have pre-600 series receivers". What gives?

The other question mark is about the birds themselves. Looks like after this is all done, Anik F2 will be practically empty and Anik F1R will have empty space as well. I would think that operating and maintaining 3 birds is more costly than 2. So why not transition all Anik G1 channels to the free space on F1R and F2 and get rid of G1 altogether. As a snowbird, this would be a prayer answered!
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-29, 09:24 AM

goalsgo:
A lot of the channels being left in StdD are smaller market CTV, Global stations. The HD content will be available on another channel in the same timezone. Maintaining the StdD channels I believe fulfils CRTC requirements to carry local markets. City Montreal and Winnipeg in StdD along with a couple specialities like Viceland and BBC Canada in StdD only is surprising. ONE and others probably have such low subscription rates that Shaw doesn't want to be bothered. Pick and Pay may have an impact on some of the lower penetration specialities and there none-conversion to HD may be moot.

sawguyg:
My hardball comment was more towards the American specialities that may either demand inclusion in some of the remaining bundles or grandfathered basic programming or that they will demand rates that Shaw cannot justify. I would hope that SD would work with subscribers with legacy equipment but time will tell. By 2019 a lot that equipment may gone due to normal lifespan, internal battery failure and market churn. It sure drives down the value of 5xx and older equipment to practically 0 as they will increasingly become useless as the changeover happens.

LOSat
post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-29, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

One thing to keep in mind is that Shaw Broadcasts doesn't offer all the signals that are available to Shaw Direct customers thus the final channel allocation tables are not completely reflective of all the signals that are on Anik F1R, F2 and G1. Some of the transponders may get reserved for data, PPV and VOD services.
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-29, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsgo View Post
....The other question mark is about the birds themselves. Looks like after this is all done, Anik F2 will be practically empty and Anik F1R will have empty space as well. I would think that operating and maintaining 3 birds is more costly than 2. So why not transition all Anik G1 channels to the free space on F1R and F2 and get rid of G1 altogether. As a snowbird, this would be a prayer answered!
I'm unsure what year F1R and F2 are functional until. But yes, all who rely on that big footprint would LOVE to see more HD. If Shaw is paying attention, it may just keep those clients paying $125 per month.
As it is now, $125 is a lot of money for SD CBC News, five TSN HD channels and to a lesser degree Sportnet HD. Way too many HD choices for snowbirds to continue much longer with the few HD offerings Shaw supplies.
post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-29, 04:23 PM

Thumbs up Old TV works with new Sat Receiver

My 2006 DSR315 crapped out. Shaw Direct sent me an HDDSR600 (that's what is says on the panel) for the cost of shipping because I have "insurance". The new receiver works with my 1982 television set.

I don't understand why folks keep talking about a compatibility problem between old TVs and new sat receivers. Of course you can't watch an HD program in HD quality on an old TV, but you can watch an HD program on an old SD TV in SD quality.
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-03-29, 04:30 PM

Unhappy BBC Canada

I wish BBC Canada was carried in HD.

There are a couple of shows on that channel that I enjoy even though some actors' English doesn't sound like English to me. I like "Death In Paradise" and "The Coroner". DIP is pretty good for understandable dialect, but some TC actors speak sort of a Pigeon English that throws me.
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 2016-04-01, 04:06 PM
Rookie

My 2006 DSR315 crapped out. Shaw Direct sent me an HDDSR600 (that's what is says on the panel) for the cost of shipping because I have "insurance". The new receiver works with my 1982 television set.

I don't understand why folks keep talking about a compatibility problem between old TVs and new sat receivers. Of course you can't watch an HD program in HD quality on an old TV, but you can watch an HD program on an old SD TV in SD quality.

I think most people already know this. Nothing has changed lately as far as this being the case!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.