Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct to transition to full MPEG-4 - See Post 1

62K views 118 replies 37 participants last post by  LONSat 
#1 ·
Edit by 57 - comprehensive updated information as of May 2017.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...t-transition-full-mpeg-4-a-5.html#post2917921

Shaw Broadcast/Shaw Direct will be transitioning all signals on Anik F1R and Anik F2 to MPEG-4 beginning next spring 2017. The transition will occur in three phases with the final phase being completed by September 2019. By the fall of 2019, nearly all stations will be available in MPEG-4 HD only and all customers will require MPEG-4 receivers on all TV's to continue viewing the complete channel line-up. Expect to see more info from Shaw Direct on a receiver transition plan later this year. Customers will start seeing impact to their TV Line-up in the spring of 2017 if they choose to not upgrade obsolete MPEG-2 receivers.

More info on the traffic/transition plan can be found here.
Shaw Broadcast Services - Bulletins

#109 ·
SD, 480i channels getting stretched

Starting today or yesterday, a bunch of SD channels between 300 and 400 on the Classic East channel map are getting stretched from 480i to appear as if they’re filling a 16x9, 720 or 1080 resolution. But they’re still in SD. Any idea what the hell is going on? I set my SD setting to NOT stretch to fill on TV’s and receivers.
Is Shaw doing this, or are the originating broadcasters up to something.
Channel 389, CTV Two Vancouver Island is one of these false, stretched, or zoomed channels.
Channel 306, CBC Calgary, another, while Ch. 307, CBC Edmonton is still 480i.

Also, loads of SD channels have gone blank. Nothing there but solid colour screens and no audio. I’m using a DSR630, so that’s not the problem (mpeg 4 conversions). And I’m still using an older, quad lnb, but if the channels had been moved to G1, the channel guide designation would just have disappeared. Anyone?

#110 ·
The SD channels you mentioned have transitioned to MPEG4. It would seem that they are taking the HD feed from those stations and downconverting them to 16:9 SD. You can see it on the CTV2 London's newscast. The commercials are in 16x9 SD and the news itself has blackbars to the side. The London station is about the only channel I watch in SD anymore so I have just set the aspect to normal on the receiver.

#112 ·
This morning, about 6:40 Pacific, I lost approx. half the channels. Essentially the same as if I only had one coax connected to the receiver. (I'm using DSR630.) I have two receivers and both have the same issue, and I've checked the cables at the dish. Thoughts?

#117 ·
Dual feed means the signal is being sent on both the old transponder and the new transponder. The "dual feed" allows them to test and tune the signal, for cable ends to make changes and any other commercial users to make adjustments. Us, as Shaw Direct consumers have to wait until the end of the dual feed period June 26th (10am) for our receivers to start getting the map/signal from the new location.

Channel slots? If you mean classic or advanced channel numbers then nothing will change for the Vancouver channel placements.

#119 ·
The SD feeds for Vancouver (CBC, CTV, Global, City) are not being impacted right now. It is only the HD signals that are being transferred from one or more transponders to F2 tp8. Temporarily each of the above HD channels will be on two transponders but we won't see the change until the dual feed is over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.